Author Topic: Solo (SPOILERS)  (Read 166533 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Solo (SPOILERS)
« Reply #180 on: May 16, 2018, 01:23 PM »
Well, that spoiler is definitely possible (and likely given reviews).  Now it's just where in the context of the story does this logically fit in.
But given what happens in Rebels, it certainly can't be a reference to Han's ANH quote: "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 24, 2018, 11:29 PM »
I thought it was fun. I'd go no more than that
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2018, 11:29 PM »
I am glad I was able to stay away from spoilers for this movie, because when that scene played out and it was obvious the combination of performances at work to bring the character to life, it was the icing on the cake for me with this movie. Solo was a fun Star Wars movie, could end up being my favorite Disney-era movie so far (and I have enjoyed them all, so this is not meant to be taken as a knock on TLJ).

For me the best revelation was an explanation/nod to the scene from ESB when C-3PO is trying to communicate with the Falcon and getting frustrated. It also gives meaning to the sentiment that the Millennium Falcon IS a character.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 25, 2018, 12:12 AM »
I don't know where I would rank this one, but pretty far behind Rogue One I think, which seems like the best comparison being the only other standalone film to date. I didn't dislike it, but i didn't feel like it exceeded my expectations in any way, which were pretty measured going in.

I think in retrospect, there were probably too many previews because I felt like I had seen most of the movie already played out in snippets, aside from a few surprises. I thought the cast was fine, there were a couple of plot points that felt weak or a little forced, but nothing too glaring.

Well, except for THAT scene. W T F?!? I don't even know where to start with that one. It was a jarring moment that really took me out of the rest of the movie I felt like. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the reasoning behind it.

If there was a letter between B and C that would be my grade I think. I don't feel a strong desire to see this again, though I'm sure I will.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 25, 2018, 12:18 AM »
I liked most of the characters. Was fine with Han. Man crush on Donald Glover only grew. Liked Woody, Qi'ra, L3. The "scene" was whatever to me. Story was fine. Just not handled perfectly.

What's the deal with tentacled creatures in Star Wars?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 25, 2018, 01:48 AM »
I really enjoyed that movie.  Not deep or super imaginative, but I’m with Nick, it was “fun”. 

My expectations were fairly moderate to low, and this met or exceeded those expectations. 

My biggest complaint with sci fi movies is usually dumb plot holes that don’t even seem relevant (my major gripe with TLJ).  This had no major holes and flowed nicely.

My only complaint was the Black Sun leader reveal at the end.  Kind of total crap, unless it factors in a later Kenobi movie or something.  Totally unnecessary.

I loved Lando, and would have liked to see a little more Han/Lando bromance.

I think I would be up for a sequel.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #186 on: May 25, 2018, 04:31 AM »
I went into this movie with fairly low expectations and thought it was good.  As far as a stand alone film, I think Rogue One was done better, but Solo is entertaining.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 25, 2018, 07:58 AM »
Have there been any announcements or rumors on a Dryden Vos figure? Or do I need to pick up the POP?

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 25, 2018, 09:58 AM »
I loved that Han shot first in this movie.

Glad to see that Disney wasn't afraid to do that with Han's character when Lucas felt it was important to revise SW to soften Han's image.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #189 on: May 25, 2018, 10:21 AM »

Glad to see that Disney wasn't afraid to do that with Han's character when Lucas felt it was important to revise SW to soften Han's image.

This to me was the best part of the movie. It showed that Han had truly been listening to ton Beckett  all along  Very glad to see they went there.

Really enjoyed the movie, nothing glaringly wrong with it and lots of excitement all around
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 25, 2018, 10:38 AM »

What's the deal with tentacled creatures in Star Wars?

Yeah, that and the slew of brand new species. I was thrilled to see a few twileks, and both a rodian and Warwick Davis pull off their masks though. Nerd powers... ACTIVATE!!!

And THAT scene I'm sort of intrigues that their exploring that crime cartel storyline now that Rebels told us where it will end.

Also, was this Arrestor Cruiser in the film? I felt like the Star Destroyer in the maw was where this ship should have been, but they might have scrapped it in favor of a more recognizable Destroyer.
https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Wheels-Imperial-Starship-Vehicle/dp/B076VXX4H3/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B076VXX4H3&pd_rd_r=a1fb9675-602b-11e8-ab0b-a7cdbce3d2eb&pd_rd_w=RmwyN&pd_rd_wg=fmu9i&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3914568618330124508&pf_rd_r=N4E2FDRWWCV0AQK3DGGX&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=N4E2FDRWWCV0AQK3DGGX
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:58 AM by StBrianOfMinneapolis »
Macklunkey!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 25, 2018, 11:01 AM »
Anybody catch "cameos" of previously seen characters from other movies?  Other than the reveal at the end, the only one that I caught was Endrio Two Tubes.

I'm taking the family tonight (which will be my second watching) and will be on the lookout for some of these smaller details.

Glad to see Ron Howard found a way to work his brother in to this movie.  I love how he does that with every one of his movies.

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 25, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Anybody catch "cameos" of previously seen characters from other movies?  Other than the reveal at the end, the only one that I caught was Endrio Two Tubes.

I'm taking the family tonight (which will be my second watching) and will be on the lookout for some of these smaller details.

Glad to see Ron Howard found a way to work his brother in to this movie.  I love how he does that with every one of his movies.

Yeah, Two Tubes, mentions of Bossk and Aurra Sing.

I didn't know anything about Ron Howard's brother, but I do recognize him now. Whe/where was he in Solo?
I can't tell if this photo was actually him...
https://movieweb.com/solo-star-wars-story-clint-howard-character-photo/
Macklunkey!

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2018, 11:50 AM »
He was the guy running the Droid fight

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #194 on: May 25, 2018, 12:29 PM »
My only complaint was the Black Sun leader reveal at the end.  Kind of total crap, unless it factors in a later Kenobi movie or something.  Totally unnecessary.

It worked for me.  In TCW, he was trying to unite the various underworld factions to fight the Republic and Separatists, makes sense that he'd try to start one himself after it fell apart.

Ditto. :)

Have there been any announcements or rumors on a Dryden Vos figure? Or do I need to pick up the POP?

3.75" 5POA - Force Link 2.0 Solo Figure – “Hades Joker” – Dryden Vos (rumored for Wave 4 or 5)

I don't think there has been a 6" rumor/brickseek find yet...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender