Author Topic: Transformers  (Read 364224 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers
« Reply #360 on: May 15, 2007, 05:59 PM »
I fully expect most Targets to sit on whatever deluxe stock they have in the backroom despite what any Hasbro directive tells them.  I've quickly learned that if it's a toy with a release date stamped on it, they'll be damned if they'll put it out before that date, unless a Target employee happens to be the one buying it.   ::)

On a happier note, I ordered the Voyager Class movie Ironhide from Amazon.com earlier this afternoon and it's already preparing to ship!  And it's still listed as in stock, so if you want to be impatient, head on over!

Movie Ironhide at Amazon.com

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #361 on: May 16, 2007, 12:28 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking I'd have to wait until June 2nd as well. I'm sure that they'd put the stuff out, but not update their computers, and a whole scene will be made over whether or not I can buy the stuff.

All I was looking to get for now is Blackout, Jazz, and Bonecrusher. But Blackout won't be available until June 2nd. Argh.

don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 16, 2007, 02:44 AM »
Fun with Bayformers:

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 16, 2007, 11:36 PM »
Still no luck finding any movie toys around here. I suppose I should just go to TRU.com since they have free shipping and stuff.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 16, 2007, 11:40 PM »
Found a code for Hasbro Toy Shop. 25% off and free shipping.

FNFSPR7

The TF movie toys are there, but they don't ship until 6/4. What's the point then?

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 17, 2007, 03:05 AM »
I stopped at the Champlin, MN Target today and saw the new deluxe movie Transformers.  All of them were very tempting but I'll wait for a good sale someday.  Here's a picture I snapped.   

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 17, 2007, 08:45 PM »
I was pretty surprised to find a lot of the movie transformers at a couple of stores today.  Even Optimus Prime!  Sure, that was at a mom & pop store, but this is one of the premiere pieces in the line.  I thought there was a street date in the first week of June?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 18, 2007, 01:36 AM »
Yup, June 2nd for everything but the Previews and the Deluxe figures. Was that the Leader Class Prime you saw? I'm totally buying that one.  :)

I got my Robot Heroes from TRU.com today. The Bumblebee/Soundwave pack revealed some new ones we haven't seen yet, like Ultra Magnus/Megatron, Jazz/Thundercracker, and Optimus Prime w/Matrix/Unicron.

The packs I got, Prime/Ravage and Bumblebee/Soundwave, are great. Not a great replacment for Heroes of Cybertron, but something that you can give to your kids, if you have them.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 18, 2007, 05:53 PM »
Still no sign of any non-Protoforms around here.  Target put out another case of the protos this morning, though, so until their inevitable three-days-late reset after the official street date, I doubt they'll be doing anything soon.  Wal-Mart is still sitting on a mountain of Cybertron stuff and hasn't even stocked the protos as yet, so they're coming up empty.  I keep hoping TRU will get something but no luck there either.

Just to complain a little, Amazon is taking their sweet time getting the Ironhide to me.  It allegedly shipped on the 15th, although when I've tried to track the package, it keeps giving me the "sender notified USPS of the imminent shipment" message.  Amazon, if it could be said again, has really gone to **** in terms of shipping methods and speed.  I used to be able to buy something listed as in-stock and it would be on my doorstep within three days, and now when I finally do get the package (often over a week later), the box is half-opened and has numerous puncture holes and very little packing material.   It's like Bezos hired the folks who started off at Shop.Starwars.com a few years back on their launch.   ::)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 21, 2007, 08:16 PM »
After a long day at work, I arrived to find the package from Amazon waiting on me on the porch.  10 minutes later, Ironhide was freed from his plastic and cardboard prison and the long and arduous process of transforming him had begun. :)

Long story short, in vehicle mode, he's bigger than the Classics Voyager Optimus Prime, and in robot mode he's pretty big, too.  The transforming action/skill level is along the lines of something like the Alternators rather than the Classics Voyagers, and the instructions are (like the one Alternator I own) vague and difficult to follow from time to time.  I'm still not certain that I have the upper body transformation performed correctly. 

On the "automorph technology" front, Ironhide's shins and feet have this feature.  When you pull his front foot/bumper part down, the back part automatically folds down, the tire swings back, and the truck bed folds back to form shin armor.  Pretty neat little action, to be quite honest. 

He's pretty well articulated, too, with balljointed shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, knees, and a swivel head and waist.  He could be articulated beyond that, but I haven't had a chance to really fiddle with the toy since I did my first transformation back and forth.  The guns are okay, disguised as the side-of-the-bottom-of-the-cab fuel tank looking things in vehicle mode.  One of the things I like about the modern TFs (at least the ones I've gotten) is how the weaponry is integrated into the actual robot/vehicle so I don't have a bunch of loose pieces left over when I go from one mode to another.  Ironhide is no exception.

Overall, I'd give Ironhide a 4 out of 5. :)

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 22, 2007, 03:56 AM »
Today, I finally received my Masterpiece Megatron shipping confirmation from agesthreeandup.com.  I saved a lot by ordering both sets from them.  However, it sure took a while for them to get the toys in the mail.  They ordered a lot of them and then had them shipped by boat.  Hopefully, they will be here by this Saturday. 

I haven't seen any of the yet to be released TF Movie toys since Target the other day.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 03:56 AM by spiderpumpkin »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 22, 2007, 04:54 PM »
It is probably due to the movie hype, but its made me feel nostalgic for the Transformers days of my youth - the toon and the toys.  Anyways, it has got me to want to maybe pick up a few toys, but I'm not sure if I can afford much.  I'd like to get some type of Optimus Prime to display, just because he is so iconic from the TF world.  Anyways - I was wondering if you guys could recommend a nice looking (and hopefully affordable) Prime I could go after.  I'm leaning towards the G1 look, or somewhat close.  Would the Classics version be a good choice?  Should I just pick up the small Titanium one due to affordability?  Like I said, I'm looking for a nice looking robot form, and fairly simple "transformability" :P.  There are so many different TF lines, I thought I'd turn to the experts to see what the best options would be, if I were able to pick one up.  Thanks for any advice.  Its such a nostalgic year for kids of the 80s with the 30th Anny of Star Wars, 25th of Joe, and now Transformers on the big screen.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 22, 2007, 05:39 PM »
I didn't really like the classics version very much at all, but you might be able to find him on clearance at Target for cheap to fill a fix.  The small titanium ones are pretty cool if you just want a lil Prime to sit next to your monitor to keep you company...

But nothing screams G1 like his first incarnation, so I'd hold off and wait until Takara releases its Encore version of him - full stacks and all not like the butchered US release which has always bugged me.  Not quite sure what "changes" they're making to him in this release but they mentioned new deco or what not.  Most people would say to pick up the Masterpiece version of him, but I honestly think he's too big and a bit too overpriced, but he fits in good with my Alternators.  Of course there's plenty of other Primes from all the different sublines, some are good, some are bad but it's kind of pointless for you to try one of them if you're feeling that nostalgic feeling as you would recognize him, but it's just not the same thing.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 22, 2007, 08:28 PM »
I'm going to be the devil's advocate (or the iFett's advocate, who is in no way, shape, or form a demonic presence I can assure you  ;) ) and say that I love the Classics Prime.  He's not so large that he takes up a lot of space in robot or truck form, the transformation is pretty easy, the articulation is great, and if you can find him at a Target right now, he's well worth the investment (I saw two the other day for 5 bucks each; these were gone fairly quickly or I'd try to score one for you).  I will agree with iFett that there's nothing that can substitute for the original G1 toy, but if you want a good Prime on a budget, the Classics version would be my advice as the way to go.

Still no sign of the (non-preview) movie toys around here, but June 2nd isn't too far away.  I just hope that TRU, Target, and WM will actually stock the stuff that day instead of (the middle of the three, at least) waiting for some stupid reset date. 

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 22, 2007, 09:21 PM »
Keep an eye on ebay because somethings you can find an original 1984 Prime for about $100 and in great condition.  I picked up a pre-rub 1984 Prime back in January for about $100 and it was near perfect.  Caution, because once I bought Prime then I
went on a 1984-1987 buying spree.

Now I may be starting up again because since buying the Bellomo book I had to go out and find a nice Predaking set.  Next up I need to get Trypticon. 

Then I start looking at all the 1988 toys and see some cool one's too like Dreadwing.  I managed to pick up a Darkwing in January but I still need the Dreadwind.

If anyone wants to get hooked buy Bellomo's Transformers book and his GI Joe book too if you want hooked.