Collectibles > The Vintage Collection

The Future of Star Wars Collecting?

<< < (53/172) > >>

Brian:
Glad to hear the vintage collection is continuing, whatever it is going to be called now.  I'm a little confused regarding the future of the line.  On one hand, that Black Series article makes it sort of sound like from now on "3 3/4 is for kids, new 6 inch is for collectors", but at the same time, they do mention that the vintage collection is continuing under this new banner as well.  How many lines are there going to be now?  Movie Heroes, Clone wars, Black Series, and now 6" Black Series?  Or are they unifying things more?  We've already seen the Yoda and Vader packaging as well, so who knows.  I hope they don't spread it even more thin with simple $6 Movie Heroes stuff (and possibly CW), $10 vintage collection stuff, and $20 Black Series figures (not to mention vehicles and all that).

I like the looks of the new Black Series stuff, and don't mind it since (at least of the ones announced) we already have great 3 3/4" versions of these.  I would have been more upset if it represented an end to the smaller scale line, because that is Star Wars to me.  I wonder if that line will all be the simpler 5 POA type stuff, or if we'll still get the "collector style" stuff in the continuing vintage lineup.

Paul:
Did anyone else read DD's quote and catch a bit disdain for collectors (who they now cater to)?

If it means OT goodness, I'm in.

Jeff:

--- Quote from: Jesse James on January 29, 2013, 08:51 PM ---I think it's going to go like this:

Lower priced "cheapo line".
Higher priced 3.75" line, less stuff but keeping the status quo.
very much higher priced $20-ish line, 6" figures, testing the waters.
And then go from there.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, you can almost see the separation:

$6 - 3.75" for kids (5POA like Iron Man, Spidey)
$12 - 12" for kids (Like Anakin/Clone)

$10 - 3.75" for collectors
$20 - 6" for collectors

Buy at the basic or double your money for extra big fun!  :P

--- Quote from: Paul on January 29, 2013, 09:04 PM ---Did anyone else read DD's quote and catch a bit disdain for collectors (who they now cater to)?
--- End quote ---

I don't think so, I think that was him more speaking to the general USA Today audience...  but based on some of the things collectors have had to say about Hasbro (or even him specifically) over the past year, I would not be surprised if he is harboring some annoyance with the hard core "I want Cantina Guy #15" folks.  :-X

Jesse James:
To Paul/Jeff's points, I agree with what Jeff was saying...  I think it was that broader audience, but I wouldn't be shocked either.  People have flat out been dicks lately.

Don't get me wrong, you have every right to be mad...  the consumer has rights, all the time, but I think fans have been unfair to Hasbro and the Star Wars team at times.  Not all the time...  case packs and price points, they deserve flak on.

But I'll never get over the "Let's blame Hasbro for it all" mentality.  It's way more complex than that, and always has been.  But at the same time, and I know people like to say they f'd up case packs, and it's easy for us to point out what they did wrong, but when they're planning out a line and TPM3D is hyped as such a big deal, can you blame Hasbro ultimately?  Short, undertain timelines, lots of shifting around, sorting things out, and then that ever-present gamble on what will be in hot demand.  IMO TPM's failed, twice now, and I hope Hasbro's not going to drink the LFL/Disney kool-aid going forward and make maybe more conservative decisions.

JesseVader08:

--- Quote from: Jeff on January 29, 2013, 10:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: Jesse James on January 29, 2013, 08:51 PM ---I think it's going to go like this:

Lower priced "cheapo line".
Higher priced 3.75" line, less stuff but keeping the status quo.
very much higher priced $20-ish line, 6" figures, testing the waters.
And then go from there.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, you can almost see the separation:

$6 - 3.75" for kids (5POA like Iron Man, Spidey)
$12 - 12" for kids (Like Anakin/Clone)

$10 - 3.75" for collectors
$20 - 6" for collectors

--- End quote ---

I think this could be a very effective way of separating the lines and satisfying both parents and collectors.  Honestly, I'm quite excited to see what they come up with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version