Author Topic: 6" Black Series TROS Wave 1  (Read 13294 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: 6" Black Series TROS Wave 1
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 09:49 AM »
Am I crazy (yes I'm too lazy to get up and check), but doesn't the original Jawa have plastic robes and this one cloth?

No, both are cloth.

My loose 40th Annivesary Jawa is all plastic.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 09:56 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 10:15 AM »
Dang, you're right.  Mine is shoved in back of my display and the cloth texture on the plastic made me think it was actually cloth.  Maybe I'll have to reconsider keeping the Offworld Jawa now...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 10:34 AM »
They updated the FO Stormie's elbows so that he can better hold his blaster with 2 hands. I saw a great comparison pic somewhere

Yes, he's got new elbow articulation and then I believe it's also a new helmet sculpt on the FO Stormtrooper as well (to match the TLJ Stormtrooper helmets).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 08:56 AM »
I cracked open the Offworld Jawa.  He looks good hanging out next to my Landspeeder.

After close inspection I couldn't tell the difference between the old and new Stormtroopers so I left the new one in the box to be returned.

I also looked at the new Kylo Ren and couldn't tell any differences other than the red lines in the helmet.  I've already got 3 nearly identical Kylo Ren figures and am unsure why I need a fourth that isn't really meaningfully different.

Has anyone cracked open their new Kylo Ren and compared the differences and think its worth keeping, or have most skipped this version?  I think I'm bringing the new one back.

All the other figures from this wave are really solid, although I wish they would have done something different with D-O's stand.  I wish it was clear with a "foot" peg or something, or just built it in to the figure.  I'm pretty sure half the people won't even realize there is a mini-stand in the packaging, or they'll easily lose it.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 11:37 AM »
I also looked at the new Kylo Ren and couldn't tell any differences other than the red lines in the helmet.  I've already got 3 nearly identical Kylo Ren figures and am unsure why I need a fourth that isn't really meaningfully different.

I hope we get some reason as to why Kylo is so attached to the helmet to rebuild it after smashing it to pieces.  Does he find his more intimidating this way than this scarred man-child?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2019, 01:51 PM »
I hope we get some reason as to why Kylo is so attached to the helmet to rebuild it after smashing it to pieces.

JJ talked a bit about Kylo's helmet in the TROS issue of Empire magazine that came out last month. 

I'd post it here, but I know some folks here at JD are spoiler-sensitive so best not to discuss it in the action figure forum. 

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2019, 02:41 PM »
I hope we get some reason as to why Kylo is so attached to the helmet to rebuild it after smashing it to pieces.

JJ talked a bit about Kylo's helmet in the TROS issue of Empire magazine that came out last month. 

I'd post it here, but I know some folks here at JD are spoiler-sensitive so best not to discuss it in the action figure forum.

I'm interested... can you PM me, or put it on the movie's spoiler page?  Thanks

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 08:21 PM »

All the other figures from this wave are really solid, although I wish they would have done something different with D-O's stand.  I wish it was clear with a "foot" peg or something, or just built it in to the figure.  I'm pretty sure half the people won't even realize there is a mini-stand in the packaging, or they'll easily lose it.

I am so glad I saw this, thanks for mentioning this. I opened my Rey today and tossed the packaging and did not notice the little stand. I had to dig thru a lot of recycling to find the inner tray, thankfully the little stand was taped to the tray. Could have gotten messy  :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:22 PM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2019, 04:41 PM »
After close inspection I couldn't tell the difference between the old and new Stormtroopers so I left the new one in the box to be returned.

Has anyone cracked open their new Kylo Ren and compared the differences and think its worth keeping, or have most skipped this version?  I think I'm bringing the new one back.

The Fwoosh posted a great video review of Wave 1 that details a lot of the differences. Biggest thing with the Stormie is it has the new helmet sculpt, and updated elbows so that you can make it hold the blaster with both hands more naturally
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 09:50 AM »
Thanks for posting Diddly.  The Stormtrooper definitely doesn't have enough differences for me to care to spend $20. 

I'm still torn on the Kylo Ren and the helmet.  If I only had one other Kylo Ren I'd easily pull the trigger on this, but I've already got three others that are all essentially the same figure with a slightly different head and/or cape.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2019, 11:08 AM »
I'm passing on the Stormtrooper. I agree with Dave in theory on Kylo. But I felt having the "red" helmet was worth it. BUT that's it. So if they make another helmetless one or battle damaged or the scene in ROS where he is wearing a Whisperers' face (sorry just posted on Walking Dead thread) I'm out.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2019, 11:48 AM »
I bought the First Order Stormtrooper over the weekend.  I had passed on it earlier, but when I saw it Saturday this Stormtrooper was in the First Edition box.  This was one of the first times I've even seen those boxes, and the only ones I found were Rey, the Offworld Jawa and the FO Stormtrooper.  And since I already bought Rey and the Jawa I passed on those in the First Edition boxes.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2019, 08:10 PM »
It is funny, at least locally, how little of this wave I saw outside of Force Friday. Sure there are the usual suspects that hung around a little longer, but honestly I think I’ve seen the second wave more frequently at this point. One of my nephews was telling us what he wanted for Christmas (age 8), and he specifically told me “Black Series Mandalorian”, knowing that I’m the Star Wars uncle. We would love to get him one,  but they are nowhere to be found. I took a look at eBay and even the normal version seems to be hitting $40-$60. It would be nice to see more shipments, or at least figures like Mando slipped into current assortments on the lead up to Christmas.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2019, 06:07 PM »
It is funny, at least locally, how little of this wave I saw outside of Force Friday. Sure there are the usual suspects that hung around a little longer, but honestly I think I’ve seen the second wave more frequently at this point. One of my nephews was telling us what he wanted for Christmas (age 8), and he specifically told me “Black Series Mandalorian”, knowing that I’m the Star Wars uncle. We would love to get him one,  but they are nowhere to be found. I took a look at eBay and even the normal version seems to be hitting $40-$60. It would be nice to see more shipments, or at least figures like Mando slipped into current assortments on the lead up to Christmas.

Agreed - I think this wave was not in circulation as long as it probably should have been. The 2nd Sister and Cal Kestis would be great to have around now that the game actually hit and someone might think "oh hey, I really like this game, would be cool to go out and get the main character's figure". And while I know a lot of folks groan when it comes to Rey and Kylo Ren - the fact that they are completely missing from the shelves leading into the theatrical release of TROS is kinda strange.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2020, 06:16 PM »
I finally decided I could not bring myself to open the white boxes, so I have been looking around for some of the first wave black boxes recently as openers.

Was really surprised I could not find a Kylo Ren anywhere. Figured him to be a sure fire peg warmer. In fact, I see more of Wave 2 out there than Wave 1 now it seems like.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy