Author Topic: A thread about concerts.  (Read 166264 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: A thread about concerts.
« Reply #225 on: June 16, 2006, 12:36 PM »
I did. I had hoped Dimetrodon would come along, being 2 hours from here, and a Jersey boy, but it turns out he has summer classes and all that, so my friend (and boss) Reggie who's a huge springstein fan is gonna tag along, I think.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 16, 2006, 04:15 PM »
I got to see Zappa plays Zappa earlier this week in Boston.  WHOA!  This was one of the most intense shows I've ever seen.  It started with a 20 minute film of Frank Zappa with his band in the early 1970's.  After that the band came onstage.  The featured players were Dweezil Zappa, Napoleon Murphy Brock, Steve Vai and Terry Bozzio.  And these guys were on fire!  For that matter, so was the Orpheum Theater in Boston, as the temperature inside was easily 85 degrees or more.

People complain about not getting their money's worth at shows.  But you couldn't say that for this.  I had a balcony seat for $40 some, and you know what?  They played for over 3 hours after the introductory film.  The band touched on material from all over Frank's career.  Terry Bozzio came out as a guest drummer and singer for a good portion of the set.  But the real fireworks started when Steve Vai came out onstage.  Now I had always thought the guy was a wanker in his solo career.  But seeing him play as part of a Zappa ensemble gave me a whole new insight into what he does.  And when he and Dweezil were trading licks?  Holy crap!  It was phenomenal, and it pointed out that Dweezil can really play.

If you're into Zappa's work, or even just mildly interested, try to catch this tour!  You won't be disappointed.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #227 on: June 19, 2006, 02:06 PM »
Just got back from Bonnaroo... I can't really remember who all I've seen... The My Morning Jacket and Radiohead shows were the best shows I've ever been to. Tom Petty was ******* amazing and even had a special guest come on stage - Stevie Nicks!

Setlists...

Tom Petty
Bonnaroo Music Festival
June 17, 2006

01. Listen To Her Heart
02. You Don't Know How It Feels
03. I Won't Back Down
04. Free Fallin'
05. Saving Grace
06. Mary Jane
07. I'm A Man
08. Oh Well
09. Handle With Care
10. Stop Draggin' My Heart Around *
11. I Need To Know
12. Melinda
13. Insider
14. Learning To Fly
15. Don't Come Around Here No More
16. Refugee
17. Runnin' Down A Dream
//Encore//
18. You Wreck Me
19. Mystic Eyes
20. Gloria
21. American Girl

*   w. Stevie Nicks

My Morning Jacket
Bonnaroo Music Festival
June 17, 2006

01. Wordless Chorus
02. It Beats 4 U *
03. What A Wonderful Man
04. One Big Holiday
05. Older Guys (Flying Burrito Bros)
06. Head Held High (Velvet Underground)
07. Lowdown *
08. The Way That He Sings
09. Masterplan
10. At Dawn
11. Golden
12. Gideon *
13. Xmas Curtain
14. Dondante **
15. Dancefloors
16. Anytime
17. Mahgeetah
//Set Break//
18. A Quick One (The Who) **
19. Loving Cup (The Rolling Stones) **
20. Easy Morning Rebel **
21. Attitude (The Misfits) **
22. Off The Record
23. Lay Low
24. The Dark
25. The Bear *
26. I Will Sing You Songs
27. Heartbreakin' Man
28. Evelyn Is Not Real **
29. It's About Twilight Now
30. It Makes No Difference
31. Phone Went West **
32. Run Thru

*   w. Andrew Bird
**   w. KC Guetig on Percussion, and Mike Desalvo on Guitar

Radiohead
Bonnaroo Music Festival
June 18, 2006

01. There There
02. 2+2=5
03. 15 Step
04. Arpeggi
05. Exit Music
06. Kid A
07. Dollars And Cents
08. Videotape
09. No Surprises
10. Paranoid Android
11. The Gloaming
12. The National Anthem
13. Climbing Up The Walls
14. Nude
15. Street Spirit
16. The Bends
17. Myxomatosis
18. How To Disappear Completely
//Set Break//
19. You And Whose Army?
20. Pyramid Song
21. Like Spinning Plates
22. Fake Plastic Trees
23. Bodysnatchers
24. Lucky
25. Idioteque
26. Karma Police
//Encore//
27. House Of Cards
28. Everything In Its Right Place
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 02:17 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #228 on: June 19, 2006, 04:29 PM »
There's a part of me who is more excited to see Petty next week over the guys from Wes C Addle.  Should be some great shows though, sounds like a good time Brad :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 19, 2006, 04:45 PM »
There's a part of me who is more excited to see Petty next week over the guys from Wes C Addle.  Should be some great shows though, sounds like a good time Brad :)

Uh, do they sell beer in the Xcel during the shows?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #230 on: June 19, 2006, 05:47 PM »
I know you'll really enjoy that Petty show, Scott...

In all, I believe I saw... I-Nine, Wood Brothers, dios (malos), Seu Jorge, Bright Eyes, Oysterhead, Tom Petty (w. Stevie Nicks), My Morning Jacket, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Rusted Root, Blues Traveler, Radiohead, Dr. John, Balkan Beat Box... Unfortunately, Kristin and I couldn't find any tolerable spot for shade to see Buddy Guy... We also left Bright Eyes and Seu Jorge a bit early, and were too freaking tired to wait any longer for Dresden Dolls to start...

The heat was pretty bad.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 20, 2006, 10:34 AM »
Saw Buckcherry Friday night here in San Antonion at the Sunken Gardens.  It was part of their "Crazy Bitch 2006 Tour". 

The runningtour is also known as the Buckcherry Bikini Bash.  Any women attending the concert in a bikini or bikini top gets in free.  Also, they invite the local strippers to dance on the side of the stage.  Lots to look at all night long!

Buckcherry was outstanding!  The place went nuts for "Crazy Bitch" and "Lit Up."  I've been a fan since their first album, so I really enjoyed the entire show.  But most people there are the new fans that only recognize the new songs.  The band sounded really good and adlib parts of songs to get the crowd more involved.  As a GNR fan, I really liked it!
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Earplugs
« Reply #232 on: June 26, 2006, 09:27 AM »
Does anyone wear earplugs when you go to concerts?

Last show I went to was the PJ show in Winnipeg.  My ears rang for 3 days after the show.  I will be sporting plugs tonight and tomorrow :-[

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Earplugs
« Reply #233 on: June 26, 2006, 10:27 AM »
Couple thoughts:

If it's too loud, you're too old.

If I was going to a Pearl Jam concert, I'd wear earplugs, too, but not to protect my ears.  More like to protect my musical sensibilities.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #234 on: June 26, 2006, 10:44 AM »
I've never worn earplugs, but there've been times that I wish I had.

You really don't want to be that guy whose wearing ear plugs, though. It's just not cool. Might as well wear the venue t-shirt while you're at it.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 26, 2006, 11:42 AM »

Some shows demand that you wear earplugs.  Like Motorhead.  I've heard that Sabbath can be extremely loud, but when I saw them the volume wasn't an issue...probably because of my crappy seats.  I'll usually bring plugs to a show, but the volume really needs to be high for me to consider putting them in.

I think I've lost a little bit of my hearing (some high frequencies) after playing in bands for the past 13 years or so.  Standing near a drummer who's smashing away at a china cymbal while playing a 3 hour gig can do that to you  >:( .  Now, if the venue we're playing is really loud on stage then I might wear plugs while we play.  But I think volume tends to be much more of an issue if you're right out front, fully exposed to the PA.  Stage volume is usually much more controlled.  But people like Bob Mould and Pete Townsend haven't been so lucky.  Be careful about your hearing.

You really don't want to be that guy whose wearing ear plugs, though. It's just not cool. Might as well wear the venue t-shirt while you're at it.

Okay, Droz. ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 11:44 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #236 on: June 26, 2006, 12:15 PM »
That's the deal.  My seats are usually 5-6th row and I'm right under the main speakers and it is so so damn loud

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 26, 2006, 12:24 PM »
I would definitely wear plugs there.  You're just getting blasted by such high SPL's there that it's dangerous.  That sound is designed to carry all the way from the mains to the back of the arena and sound good there.  And if you've been to any concerts, you already know that the soundman is either in the middle or near the back of an arena's floor.  You would think that floor seats would be great by virtue of where they are, but from a sound standpoint it's not necessarily the best place to be.

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 26, 2006, 02:15 PM »

Last show I went to was the PJ show in Winnipeg.  My ears rang for 3 days after the show.  I will be sporting plugs tonight and tomorrow :-[

I get a kick out of the ringing actually, since it almost always passes in a day or two.  It's fun for me to go to work the next day too, since I spend a lot of time talking to people on the phone.... what?  What?!  WHAT!!!! :P

Though it might not be so prudent with having to cross the border the next day.  Border patrol might not see the humor in my temporary deafness. :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 26, 2006, 08:03 PM »
I got tickets to Tool for August 29.  I am very excited.  Earplugs are for pussies who want to hear when they're old.  Pussies.
"Really?  Sorry."