Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 211185 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #555 on: February 20, 2018, 02:17 PM »
The Ghost for sure, since we already have the Phantom they could scale it to fit around. Plenty of great interior playset potential too, with the living quarters, cockpit, and various common areas.

The Twilight would be second on my list for sure, though I realize that would have limited appeal.

Also from Clone Wars the Jedi T-6 Shuttle for sure, and the Mandalorian fighters.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 20, 2018, 02:24 PM »
As a playset guy, I'd love to see them make Death Star and Cloud City playsets. My ideal would be 3 3/4"-scale versions of the Micro Collection Death Star World and Bespin World. (I think choosing those old sets as the blueprint for new playsets would solve the "that's not the way I want it to look!" sentiments.) Bonus points for including the "Emperor's Throne Room" and "Bespin Cell" that were never produced...someday they could even finish out the series with a Hoth World too even though I'm not as excited to see that.

After those I'd jump up and down to see an "Imperial Outpost" playset based on the old 1985 concept.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 20, 2018, 02:47 PM »
Give me a bigger Sandcrawler.

I'd love an expansive Cloud City or Death Star play set.  If this format allowed for a re-release of the big Falcon I'd be all for it.  I'd also be down for a modern take on the Ewok Village.

I'm more in line with Rob and Muftak.  To me the value in these big kickstarter items isn't in ships necessarily, but more in playsets and display value.  I really view Jabba's Skiff as more of a playset / display piece than a ship.

Along those lines I really don't see a whole lot of interesting ships other than the Death Star and a Sandcrawler.  I'd be more jazzed about an Ewok Villiage / Imperial Bunker playset, a Mos Eisley cantina, a Rebel war room / hanger, or something along those lines.  In fact I think if they made a Jabba's Palace instead of a Jabba's Sail Barge I might be almost as equally interested in that.

I really want a large ship/playset to display my other figures/ships with.

Ultimately I don't think I'm really that interested in a larger more accurate X-Wing, or TIE, or Imperial Shuttle, or U-Wing, or Landspeeder.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 20, 2018, 03:34 PM »
Yeah... I Jabba's Palace or Mos Eisley Cantina would be aweome, and probably have far fewer moving parts... so maybe slightly more reasonably priced.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #559 on: February 20, 2018, 03:39 PM »
When I was younger, I always wanted a Hoth Echo Base set. Like huge, with the hangar. Doubt that would ever happen.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #560 on: February 20, 2018, 04:35 PM »
Y-wing done to scale. Hands down my biggest vehicle want. Followed by the B-wing. Neither of those should break the bank.

I'd also like to have some diorama options. Definitely a carbon freeze chamber and the Emperor's throne room.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 20, 2018, 06:16 PM »
I think a concept like Haslab would be the appropriate avenue to address things that just wouldn't work at retail because of either size, niche appeal, or price point.  The one that really seems to fit that bill in my opinion? A Death Star playset.  And maybe some kind of large starship like a Star Destroyer or the Blockade Runner.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #562 on: February 20, 2018, 07:47 PM »
I agree, but given the retail offerings of the past five years, it seems like any larger vehicle with a realistic sculpt/proportions could be on the table. The Y-Wing could probably be about the same size as the Naboo cruiser toy, but we keep getting the same, small version.

I think a playset would be good as long as they keep it to simple scenes rather than putting everything in. A Death Star playset would be cool, but we'd probably end up with very miniature versions of the key areas. If the scale is too obviously crunched down, it would look weird. Kind of like having a playset that has the hangar, trash compactor, overbridge and chasm in one overall package, and with everything undersized.

The thing that's very cool about the sail barge is that it's a playset that's not trying to be several locations in one. So in that vein, I'd rather have something like the carbon freeze chamber as a standalone. Or the detention block as a standalone. Or the overbridge as a standalone. They could be assembled together, or displayed separately.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 20, 2018, 09:21 PM »
Give me a bigger Sandcrawler.

Don't forget, hopefully coming via Disney parks.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #564 on: February 20, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Someone asked Hasbro at TF about a Sandcrawler, and not sure of the exact quote, but they effectively dismissed it. I look forward to the Disney one, because I'm a Jawa fanatic.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 20, 2018, 10:21 PM »
I thought that the Disney crawler would be out by now.  I'd love to get that as well.  I've got enough droids and Jawas for it.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 21, 2018, 01:31 AM »
I'd want the Ghost and a Death Star playset if this pans out.  Honestly, they could redo all the ships to be more properly scaled I suppose, but personally I don't want to replace all those!  Just give me modern versions of older stuff we don't have or something completely new.  The only exception to that for me would be a larger-to-scale Jawa Sandcrawler, just because there's so much they could do with it similar to the barge.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 21, 2018, 06:14 AM »
I agree, but given the retail offerings of the past five years, it seems like any larger vehicle with a realistic sculpt/proportions could be on the table. The Y-Wing could probably be about the same size as the Naboo cruiser toy, but we keep getting the same, small version.

I get where you're going with this.  And I agree, the OT version of the Y-wing does seem a little small.  But we do also have something else to go on with the Y-Wing, and that's the Clone Wars version of the vehicle.  That one was significantly larger than the vintage sculpt that was the basis for the POTF2, OTC and 30AC releases.  But when you look at the difference between the two, like in this Banthaskull comparison shot?  I think that Hasbro could find a way to bridge the gap and upscale the Y-Wing to a degree.  Heck, even make a version where you can remove the armor plating and strip it down to Rebel Alliance specs!

As for other potential big items? 

A Hoth base is definitely intriguing.  To really make it something unique and worthy of a Haslab treatment... you would have to include the Ion Cannon!  I think it's only been touched on a couple of times in the past 40 years, and that was in the vintage era Micro Collection and the more recent Action Fleet line.  And even that's almost 20 years old.

A Cloud City playset is also really interesting to think about, too.  Although I think that Hasbro could probably do a Cloud City playset in a similar fashion to the way they did the TLJ flagship playset.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 21, 2018, 10:04 AM »
This is what excites me so much about the Haslab concept. The sail barge is amazing, and I really hope I'm able to figure a way to work it out (like others, I won't go into debt over it), but the potential for future ideas is so fun to think about.

Obviously, the Death Star is an obvious choice. I always wanted one as a kid and I'd be interested to see what they would do today. I also think it would maybe be a little tougher to please everyone with that though, as everyone wants something different. Other than that I'd really be down for modern versions of other vintage playsets, particularly Dagobah and the Ewok village. The Echo base set is a neat idea too.

As far as vehicles, I'm not sure. I usually lean more towards OT stuff, but for me they have covered some of the big ones pretty well. The BMF, AT-AT, Snowspeeder, large wing TIE, Slave 1, Landspeeder, AT-ST, and X-Wing have been done pretty well. I'd like to get a Sandcrawler, and the Y-Wing can be improved. I guess you could upscale things like the Imperial Shuttle. As for newer stuff, I'd be in for the Ghost, Poe's X-Wing, and the Gorilla Walker.

Of course, the more of this type of stuff we get, the more challenging it is going to get these things displayed. Again, we may be entering the age of even more specialized collecting. Not many (any?) of us have unlimited space for all this.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 21, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Someone asked Hasbro at TF about a Sandcrawler, and not sure of the exact quote, but they effectively dismissed it. I look forward to the Disney one, because I'm a Jawa fanatic.

While I do not have any other evidence than anecdotal, I have long been convinced that Hasbro assists (or is sub-contracted by) Disney with the manufacturing of the 3.75" scale Droid Factory offerings and also the other items they've released in the past like the Star Tours Box Sets, carded Star Tours Droids and even the Star Speeder. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the Disney Characters as Star Wars Characters line that used to be available wasn't produced out of the same factories that Hasbro uses - how else do you end up with a product like Jedi Mickey Mouse and a ROTS Jedi Starfighter in the same box?

So the primary reason why the Hasbro reps dismissed the Sandcrawler is that they are working on a Sandcrawler to be specifically released at Disney Parks as part of the Droid Factory line. They can't comment on that because they are acting as a sub-contracted designer/manufacturer for Disney Parks and the Hasbro brand will not appear anywhere on the product.

My guess is that Disney is waiting for the launch of the new Star Wars land in 2019. There will probably be a new assortment of droid parts AND the Sandcrawler all at the same time.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!