Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 350332 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #720 on: May 9, 2008, 06:38 PM »
For fans of Donnie Darko, the sequel is set to begin shooting this month, first time I've heard about this. From Fangoria:

Screen Daily reports that S. DARKO, the sequel to Richard Kelly’s cult genre-blender DONNIE DARKO, begins shooting May 18 for the Silver Nitrate and Newmarket Capital companies. Kelly isn’t involved in the $10-million follow-up, but THE RING’s Daveigh Chase (pictured) is back as Donnie’s little sister Samantha, now 18, who goes on a road trip with her best friend Corey. Along the way, they become tormented by strange visions. Directing is Chris Fisher of NIGHTSTALKER and RAMPAGE: THE HILLSIDE STRANGLER MURDERS, who said in a statement, “I am a great admirer of Richard Kelly’s film and hope to create a similar world of blurred fantasy and reality.” Adds Simon Crowe, whose British sales company Velvet Octopus will be selling the movie at Cannes, “I think there is a new generation of cinemagoers who will be very excited to see this film. Donnie’s not in it, but there are meteorites and rabbits.” Fox, which released DONNIE DARKO on DVD, has already snagged the North American rights to the film, which also stars Ed (100 FEET) Westwick, Briana Evigan and Justin (THE INVISIBLE) Chatwin. —Michael Gingold

And here's the poster from MoviesOnline:

This could either be really good, or really bad. But, being a huge fan of the first film, I'm certainly hoping it'll be good. Richard Kelly not directing doesn't bode well though.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: May 13, 2008, 09:21 AM »
Caught Speedracer. Didn't suck. In fact, I kind of liked it, though it's far from a perfect movie.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: May 16, 2008, 09:25 AM »
Interesting note to Terminator fans...

I caught some of the first one on TV last night and noticed at the head of the closing credits that Harlin Ellison's credit had been inserted. I guess we'll see that on every new release from now on.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: May 16, 2008, 03:12 PM »
Caught Speedracer. Didn't suck. In fact, I kind of liked it, though it's far from a perfect movie.

Hmmm -- I've heard the opposite -- that it was the most grueling 2+ hours spent in a theater................ :-\
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #724 on: May 16, 2008, 03:59 PM »
For fans of Donnie Darko, the sequel is set to begin shooting this month, first time I've heard about this. From Fangoria:

That's just terrific.  :(  For the love of christ, why can't these buffoons leave good movies alone?!  This movie is one of my favorites of all time, and it makes me sick that they're risking cheaping it by adding a sequel (or sequels...you never know what these fuckknobs have in mind anymore).  I guess I shouldn't be surprised - a few of my favorites have already been taken too far and cheapened (Star Wars, Alien) so why not just throw another one on the pile.

John

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 7, 2008, 10:33 AM »
My wife and I got out to see Forgetting Sara Marshall last night. It was pretty darn good. Crude, but not tasteless.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 9, 2008, 10:44 AM »
Just viewed Gone Baby Gone this weekend. This was an awesome flick, much in the same genre as Mystic River. Don't let the fact that it was directed by Ben Affleck and starred Casey Affleck prevent you from seeing it. Really, an extremely well-done movie...but extremely depressing. If you've got kids, you may want to think twice about seeing it, though.  :'(

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 9, 2008, 10:57 AM »
Gone Baby Gone was a good film.  Both that film and Mystic River are based on novels by Dennis Lehane, that's why their similar.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #728 on: June 14, 2008, 02:46 AM »
Just curious if anyone went to see The Happening.  I'm kind of torn on seeing this because I think Mark Wahlberg's a great actor, but M Night Shyamalan has pissed me off too much with Lady in the Water and The Village that I have vowed never to spend another dime on his craptastic movies ever again.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 01:13 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 14, 2008, 08:51 AM »
Just curious if anyone went to see The Happening.  I'm kind of torn on seeing this because I think Mark Wahlburg's a great actor, but M Night Shyamalan has pissed me off too much with Lady in the Water and The Village that I have vowed never to spend another dime on his craptastic movies ever again.

I haven't seen LITW, but liked his other movies.  I really want to The Happening based on the trailer, but have yet to see a single good review of the film.  If anyone has/does see it and can offer up an opinion, please do so.  I may just wait until the DVD at this point.   :-\
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 15, 2008, 04:36 AM »
Do not under any circumstances waster your money with The Happening, it was flat out terrible. Mark Wahlberg isn't very good in it, but I'll blame M. Night for that one. I don't even want to bother explaining why this movie stunk, because that would require having to think about it more. Awful. And this is coming from someone who didn't hate The Village.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 15, 2008, 07:43 AM »
Kungfu Panda was awesome, myself and my kids were laughing hard
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #732 on: June 15, 2008, 01:15 PM »
My girlfriend wanted to see the happening so we went yesterday. I figured it out within literally the first 15 min. Not worth the movie much like the rest of his movies.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 15, 2008, 03:48 PM »
I saw both Hulk and Happening on Friday night. Hulk is fully recommended by me, Happening gets thumbs down and no recommendation from me. Although I enjoyed the cinematography, the story/plot was crap. M. Night needs to focus on producing and/or directing films, not writing them.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 17, 2008, 03:49 PM »
And now back to reviews of movies for people that don't get out much... ;)

I finally saw Juno and There Will be Blood this weekend.

Juno was nice and enjoyable, though I really didn't think it was Academy Award-nomination worthy. I did think the whole moral issue of abortion was treated very fairly and wasn't necessary skirted or taken lightly.

There Will be Blood was probably the most awesome-looking film I've ever seen (and I don't even have a great tv or anything). And paired with the dissonant soundtrack, the movie was even more foreboding. The story was a little thin, but Daniel Day-Lewis more than made up for any minuses.