Author Topic: Generation-Defining Movies  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Generation-Defining Movies
« on: April 10, 2007, 03:27 PM »
I was thinking about the defining movies of my childhood, or at least, the movies I remember watching multiple times - and still awtch today.  It got me to thinking, what are the defining movies of this generation's kids?  Granted, maybe the kids these days don't have quite the nostalgic outlook that we do - looking back fondly on our favorite movies, television shows, toys, music, etc.  It seems like many kids (and in some cases, adults) are more quick to move from one thing to another (I think this was brought up in the loyalty/future of collecting threads).

For me, there were the "big ones" from my childhood that most people from the same basic age group probably related with as well:

Star Wars Original Trilogy
Indiana Jones
Ghostbusters
ET
The Goonies
Karate Kid
Back to the Future
Superman (1978)
Batman (1989)

I'm probably forgetting a few, but off the top of my head, I remember watching most of those movies multiple times growing up, and own most of them on DVD now.  Some were out when I was little, and others were more in the junior high or older range.  What do you think would be the movies for this generation of kids - from the youngest group up to high school aged kids?  Do they/will they even look at movies the same way we did back then?  Maybe not.  Off the top of my head, here's the ones I could think of - or at least I guess I would pick if I was in that group:

Spider-Man
Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
Star Wars Prequel Trilogy
Pirates of the Caribbean
X-Men/Batman/etc.?
Narnia?

There's a lot of others that I really enjoy, but I'm thinking of ones that would really last with this generation.  Obviously, most of the summer superhero movies are big hits (with kids and often adults too), but how many of them will really stick out to kids 10-20 years down the road?  There's other movies that fall into this same category.  Harry Potter might be one of the most defining franchises of this group, just taking the overall popularity into consideration.  Maybe kids look at the Star Wars PT the way we look at the OT, maybe not.  Do you think kids these days will even look at things the same way we did, and if so, which movies will define their childhoods?  I'm not sure if my title was the right way to word this, but I'm curious if there will be movies from the past ten years or so that will be remembered fondly 20 years down the road and beyond the way that Star Wars/Indy/etc. were for us.  Obviously, there won't ever be a phenomenon quite like the Original Star Wars, and also times have just changed from years where there was only 10-20 movies a year, let alone every two weeks like there is now.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 03:29 PM by Brian »

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Re: Generation-Defining Movies
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 03:33 PM »
For me, there were the "big ones" from my childhood that most people from the same basic age group probably related with as well:

Ghostbusters
ET
The Goonies
Karate Kid
Back to the Future

Not to mention songs related to the films you mentioned; "Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker Jr., "Heartlight" by Neil Diamond, "Good Enough" by Cyndi Lauper, "Glory of Love" by Peter Cetera (from KKII), & "Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News.  Music that changed my life and world perspective.

I'm a huge fan of John Hughes movies, especially The Breakfast Club.  His films represented that generation well. 
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 07:50 PM »
Shut up, noob.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 09:24 PM »
Considering that SW was 1977 and Batman was 89, I really don't consider them the same generation. I was in 3rd grade when SW came out, and in college when I saw (and disliked) Batman.

I think this whole converstation begins and ends with SW.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 09:36 PM »

Ghostbusters
ET
The Goonies
Karate Kid
Back to the Future

Not to mention songs related to the films you mentioned; "Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker Jr., "Heartlight" by Neil Diamond, "Good Enough" by Cyndi Lauper, "Glory of Love" by Peter Cetera (from KKII), & "Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News.  Music that changed my life and world perspective.

I'm a huge fan of John Hughes movies, especially The Breakfast Club.  His films represented that generation well. 

Who's this guy?  Walkin' in like everyone knows him with his obvious good taste in avatars.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 10:29 PM »
Considering that SW was 1977 and Batman was 89, I really don't consider them the same generation. I was in 3rd grade when SW came out, and in college when I saw (and disliked) Batman.

I think this whole converstation begins and ends with SW.
Its pretty close though.  I know others here can agree that 1989 was Bat crazy and to me was sort of the end of being a kid and becoming a real teenager (I was 14).  It was the last summer I had before I had a real summer job.  Last summer before High School and I was a big comic book geeky nerdy kid who bought big time in to the frenzy.  I thought the movie was great and probably saw that and Last Crusade a 20 times that summer.  Also, I was a little too young for SW in 77 and ESB in 80 was my first real SW movie.  So to me anything in the 80's is part of the whole SW Generation

I also can remember as a young guy going to the movie house on a Friday night with my two buddies who were brothers during the summer.  Movies came like 4 or 5 months and usually were only there for like a week (maybe 2 if they were huge) after they were released nationally and so within a matter of 10-12 weeks we saw Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Karate Kid, Star Trek III, Temple of Doom and The Last Starfighter.

To me, 1984 is and always will be the pinnacle of cinema...prove me wrong (I could hear an arguement for '85 as well)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 10:36 PM by OCB »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 09:21 AM »
Yeah, I guess that Star Wars (77) and Batman (89) aren't exactly the same "generation", but like I said, I probably titled this poorly.  I didn't actually see the original Star Wars in the theatre (until SE) since that was the year I was born.  The first movie I actually remember seeing in a theatre was ROTJ.  I guess I was thinking of movies that really stood out in my childhood, or that seemed like big deals back then.  I was in jr high during Batman, and I remember Bat-mania being crazy back then.  Anyways, I guess what I was asking is what will be this generation of kids' "Star Wars", or "Indiana Jones", or what will be the big movies they remember from their elementary/junior high/high school years?

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 10:44 AM »
Judging by my daughter (who is 7),  it will be Pirates of the Caribbean and Harry Potter
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 11:07 AM »
There is no greater Generation Defining movie than Star Wars... all modern directors will tell you so.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 05:44 PM »
"...with my two buddies who were brothers during the summer."

So, they were brothers only in the summer?  How did they manage that? Were they just friends during the rest of the year?

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;D
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline BobaMOTSU

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 07:02 AM »
How about:

Clerks
Mallrats
Chasing Amy
Office Space
Fight Club

Another genre would be:

The Breakfast Club
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Sixteen Candles
St. Elmo's Fire

"Think he's after your kyr'bes?"
-Mirta Gev

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 04:41 PM »
This is a tough question.  How do you define a "defining" movie?

Office space has been mentioned, and although a great movie, it's still more of a cult type classic.

Star wars definitly changed not only how future movies were made, but also change cultures around the world, not to mention marketing, etc.

What about the first film to use sound?  What about The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, or Gone with the Wind?  Great movies, for not only their day, but for all time....hell, my mom told me she had to sneak out to the theater to see Gone with the Wind because Clark Gable cursed at the end of the movie....and yet just about anyone can go see Saw or Grindhouse today.

I think any movie that really raises the bar for not only a genre, but the industry as a whole could be a contender for a Defining movie for a Generation, culture, what have you.  It could be Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, or even Toy Story for being the first fully computer generated movie.  But none have come close to what Star Wars has done....yet.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 04:50 PM »
One of my FAV lesser known 80's flicks ..3 O'clock High

The DS