Author Topic: Do You Collect/Display Vehicles?  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Do You Collect/Display Vehicles?
« on: October 19, 2020, 06:03 PM »
This could really cover any of the 3 3/4” lines, but most currently with TVC. Also timely with the Razor Crest campaign. Anyways, do you collect vehicles? From the beginning I have pretty much collected the majority of vehicles, and over the years it scaled back to OT era stuff only (recently adding in the Mandalorian stuff). Now I focus only on TVC releases (although at this point that is all there is anyways), and just became a Crest backer last week as well. I do love them, but they sure do take up a lot of space too. I know I’ve seen a number of people who just stuck to the figures over the years due to that reason. I was just wondering how many of you here collect and/or display the Star Wars vehicles?

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Collect/Display Vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 06:07 PM »
I've got all the vehicles, but very few of them displayed for the same reason you mention - space.

I'd be interested if people have advice on how to display these in a space saving way while mixed in with the figures.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 07:21 PM »
I do, I try to have each one crewed and possibly in some sort of diorama type setting.  I have a decent Rebel Alliance hangar on a table with the BMF Falcon and other fighters.  I have shelves of Imperial fighters and the Shuttle.  Also the Queen's Starship with the Eopies in front of it.  I also have the AT-AT on a shelf in a Battle of Hoth diorama.

Yes....they take up a lot of space.  :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 08:44 PM »
I do. But have been in a six month inner debate with myself on how I can cut some to open more space for figures.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 11:35 AM »
Since I was a 4-year old way back in the early 1980s and received an original vintage X-Wing for my birthday, I’ve always been a vehicle collector first and a figure collector second. When the new items are released for a new movie, I almost always get the vehicles first. Granted over the past 15 years or so I’ve branched out into collecting more figures (particularly army-building figures like Imperial Stormtroopers or Clone Troopers) however the vehicles have always been my go-to, whether it’s Star Wars, GI Joe, 1/18th scale military, or smaller scales.
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 03:12 PM »
I do as well, but I can't fit any of the new big stuff in my collection room.  The Falcon is sitting in the box, the Barge is the only SW item that's in a different room in my house.  I'm hoping to be in a new house before the Razor Crest shows up...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 05:30 PM »
Haslab has created a big problem for my vehicle collecting.  I've got four display tables in my collecting room.  Here's some older pics.

Two of the tables are Tatooine/Mos Eisley (5' by 5' display) and the other two tables were left for rotating displays.  Once or twice a year I'd rotate things:  Yavin 4 Hangar with X-Wings and Y-Wings; ROTJ Hangar bay with A-Wings and B-Wings; Hoth with Echo Base and AT-ATs; Geonosis with Droids, Jedi, Clones, and Gunships; Naboo with MTTs and Gungas; etc etc.

Last year though, my investment in a $500 Barge and $70 worth of new Tatooine skiffs led me to put up a pretty permanent Pit of Carkoon set-up.  That left one lone 2.5' by 5' table for rotating displays.  And now, with Razor Crest getting a $350+ investment in The Mandalorian, there is a good chance that will pretty permanently take up that 4th table.

Like Nick said above, I've also been in a debate with myself over what comes next.   What do I do with 3-4 each on X-Wings and Y-Wings and A-Wings and TIE Figures and AT-ATs and etc etc etc?  Things I used to put on rotating displaysthat I no longer can display? The Barge really made me want to focus on picking a few key things/scenes and building out around them and finally just moving away from some things that, while undeniably cool, I just don't need anymore.  Might be time to really think about selling things like my Geonosis Arena playset or my Vintage Ewok Village or my fleet of TCW-era republic vehicles.   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 06:14 PM »
Jeff, you could put the Razor Crest on the Tatooine table.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 07:58 PM »
I keep pondering unloading the barge.  I dunno.  It’s a bit much.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 09:23 PM »
Sounds like many of you are in the same boat. I’ve got all my prequel (and sequel) ships packed away, and have for awhile. From time to time I think I should just sell them since they don’t see the light of day, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I have basically all my OT ships (one of each type) on display shelves in a closet. I’ve always wanted to figure out a more highlighted display for the BMF Falcon (and now things like the barge and Razor Crest), but haven’t quite figured that out yet. Honestly, once the Crest gets here, I really don’t have a place for it. Things are going to have to change again. It may eventually get to the point that it did with LEGO, where I just display a few larger favorites.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 02:12 PM »
All of my stuff is packed away, save the BMF. I also collect GI Joe and MOTU, so I have a ton of vehicles. Since space is kind of a problem, something like the Barge or Razor Crest are out of the question. I’ll say that, then buy the new Castle Grayskull next year... ::)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 05:51 PM »
All of my stuff is packed away, save the BMF. I also collect GI Joe and MOTU, so I have a ton of vehicles. Since space is kind of a problem, something like the Barge or Razor Crest are out of the question. I’ll say that, then buy the new Castle Grayskull next year... ::)

Same problem here, again I need to be better about limiting things or just choosing favorites to have out. Like with LEGO type stuff, I have most of the OT vehicles, not to mention things from Marvel, LOTR, etc. so, I have three LEGOs on display: the Falcon, Bag End from LOTR, and the Mega Constructs Castle Grayskull.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 07:11 AM »
Space seems to be the great equalizer.  Because some of the large vehicle need a lot of real estate.  And even the upscaled X-wing needs a fair amount of space!

I've been working on my basement as a collecting space for a while.  And some of the big vehicles are also big challenges in terms of where to put them and whether or not to display them at all!

PT / CW - Naboo Royal Starship, MTT, Fambaa (a creature, sure, but it's as big as a vehicle), AT-TE, Republic Gunship (of which there are 7 different versions), Clone Turbo Tank, Republic Attack Shuttle, Slave I (CW SOTDS release)

SOLO / ROGUE ONE - Solo Falcon, AT-ACT

OT - BMF Falcon (3 different releases, plus any of the 2 or 3 previous Falcon releases based on the Kenner mold), AT-AT (Kenner & POTF 2 releases), Big AT-AT (2 releases), Sandcrawler (OTC version or Disney release), Imperial Shuttle (vintage and 2 modern releases) & Sail Barge, Slave I (TVC releases)

These alone take up significant amounts of space.  And I didn't really get into a lot of the fighters.  The number of Jedi starfighters alone is crazy!  I think that unless you've got a huge space, you're probably going to have to make some choices about what you can choose to display.  And I didn't even list any playsets or Black Series vehicles (looking at you, Black Series FO TIE Fighter!).

I wound up selling off some older versions of vehicles.  Because space and money were both considerations.  I had never opened the OTC version of the Millennium Falcon that had the new electronics and the engine lighting, but was essentially the original Kenner ship.  I got that in '04 and it was sitting in a box in 2008 when the BMF came out.  Plus I had the POTF2 release already open, too.  It was pretty easy to say goodbye to that OTC Falcon in the name of just making some space.  And what about the Imperial Shuttle?  I have a vintage one that I scored before Hasbro re-released it.  And I know I have at least one of the Hasbro releases, but I'm at a point where I'm not even sure if I have the Saga release, the TSC release or both.

I see some people who have made Yavin Rebel base hangar displays, and I'm majorly impressed!  But I also wonder how they would manage to display that and much else.  Sure, there have been multiple Red 5 releases.  But there are 4 character specific X-wings from the Battle of Yavin, plus at least 4 OT Y-wing releases.  Finding ways to display these is challenging.

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 08:47 AM »
Like Nick said above, I've also been in a debate with myself over what comes next. 

What comes next is apparently spending $300 to add another BMF I don't really have room for into my collection.  #addict #hopeless
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 09:45 AM »
Like Nick said above, I've also been in a debate with myself over what comes next. 

What comes next is apparently spending $300 to add another BMF I don't really have room for into my collection.  #addict #hopeless

These two posts together are the text book definition of me. I spend all this time thinking about cutting stuff while adding 5 more variations over a month span.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within