Author Topic: Anyone else losing interest?  (Read 17632 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else losing interest?
« Reply #45 on: November 6, 2006, 05:07 PM »
I still get excited by getting new stuff, the first wave of 2007 has a new Mace, SBD and Obi

While I agree with you in regards to the first wave of next year, I thought the Obi was a rehash of the ROTS Pilot figure (sans the accessories, and of course, coin).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 7, 2006, 11:18 AM »
I can pass on crap like all of the GB stuff and still enjoy getting all new figures.  I still get excited by getting new stuff, the first wave of 2007 has a new Mace, SBD and Obi as well as the Clones and Lava Miner, I can't wait to get all of those.  I also can't wait to see if the 2007 list is accurate.  They have really done well with the line as far as figure likeness, articulation and accessories over the last few years.  Part of me hopes for an almost complete resculpt of POTF2 as they have been peppering in to the line and closing out some of my top 60.  There's enough here to keep me coming back.  The key element is letting go of completionism, to me at least

This is something I'd actually like to see as well.  The sculpting and overall look of the figures has come a long way since the POTF2 days, and although some of those figures are still pretty good - I think we'd be surprised how much they can be improved upon.  That's a lot of the reason I hold off on picking up some of the POTF2 figures I'm missing, I'm waiting to see if there will be resculpts.

The points about there not being all that much "new" stuff is pretty accurate as well.  I was just looking over my purchases for the years, and not counting any extras I picked up, I picked up 36 of the basic figures so far this year (not counting the "Final 22").  Add in the 5 VTSC figures, and that's 41 new figures I've picked up this year (plus a couple of the exclusives).  I must be buying way too much "extra" stuff (plus extra figures), because that - along with the high prices of exclusive figures - has my spending for the year a lot higher than it should be.  Especially seeing that I've only picked up about 40 new figures this year.  Too much extra stuff I guess :).  I am really looking forward to 2007 though, from the looks/rumors so far, it could be a good year.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 7, 2006, 05:08 PM »
The retailers are backed up to the crapper with greatest battles figures. I think they produced more H&V and GB than the saga line. And at 7.00 each, it;s going to take some time, holiday sales, and grandma's with money but no idea what is cool to clear things up.
In the mean time, I just keep drifting further and further away. I'm glad I picked up Mace's sqaud, but now I don't know what else I'm looking forward to. Scratch that, I do. And it's Kubricks.

Edit: I almost forgot the tins- I think crap-in-a-can is the industry term for these.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2006, 05:09 PM by Bob Dylan SW fan »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 7, 2006, 06:17 PM »
Edit: I almost forgot the tins- I think crap-in-a-can is the industry term for these.

I actually like my tins Dan.  I'm not an opener and I think they look great in the package.  As far as loosing interest in the line, well I'm not quite there but my wallet sure is.  Hasbro did make me raise an eyebrow with this GB, H & V, and then the GH repack sets though.  I'm not about to abandon Hasbro and get into Kubricks or anything else because that's going to lead me into higher end product - the only other SW stuff that's out there. 

Though I have to say that this is the first year out of six where I've actually questioned myself as to why I'm buying something that I already have a ton of in the first place.  I've always been a huge sucker for the packaging, the presentation.  Even as a kid, I'd save all my shoe boxes and game console boxes of which I still have most (the consoles that is.)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 8, 2006, 12:18 AM »

I actually like my tins Dan.  I'm not an opener and I think they look great in the package. 

Sorry- I wasn't looking to offend anyone who likes the tins. Actually, knowing that you are a carded/boxed collector, I think this type of item is more focused on collectors like you. I keep a few things carded, but to an opener, they a kick in the shorts. I would like to get about 4 of the figures in the 6 tins. To get those 4 I would need to buy, you guessed it, 4 of the tins. 120.00 for 4 figures.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I'm an opener and I want playsets/figure environments. I'm sick of packaging and trinkets. But I think I can take a cue from a common theme in this thread, collect only what you want. I'm just disappointed there is so little I want on the shelves.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 8, 2006, 08:29 AM »

Maybe I'm just bitter because I'm an opener and I want playsets/figure environments. I'm sick of packaging and trinkets. But I think I can take a cue from a common theme in this thread, collect only what you want. I'm just disappointed there is so little I want on the shelves.

Try being an OT collector last year during ROTS or between now and whenever OT stuff shows up again during next years "2nd Anniversary of Rots" Collection.

I don't ever lose interest, but I lose momentum.  Now that I have Endor II figures and 2 of each tin, I am done for the year, with the exception of a few Multi-packs/exclusives.

Like a few others, collecting for me is the 3 3/4in line.  It was in '78 when I got started and always will be. I've tried to get other stuff...prop blasters, Mini-busts, Bust-ups, Sideshow 12 inch, mini-unleashed etc..they just aren't the "hook" for me in the Star Wars world.

When the line ends I'll do what I did in the 80's..pick up Vintage (or in this case Modern) stuff at Garage Sales/Flea Markets.

I'll stick with the line till they kill it.  I just hope they release OT figures till 2018 or at least interesting OT based EU figs.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 8, 2006, 10:39 AM »

I actually like my tins Dan.  I'm not an opener and I think they look great in the package. 

Sorry- I wasn't looking to offend anyone who likes the tins. Actually, knowing that you are a carded/boxed collector, I think this type of item is more focused on collectors like you.

No offense on the tins Dan  ;)  I just thought it was time that somebody stood up for these things.

**Obviously I don't know how to work this double quote thing.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 8, 2006, 07:53 PM »
i actually think 2007 has BOOSTED my interest...that said, anything looks great next to the final 22 :P ...galactic marine, airborne, and mcquarrie in one wave, however, is a real blessing, and if the big H keeps gracing us with these super new army-builders all of 2007, its gonna be a pretty d*mn good year for collecting...and even opening ::)

may i change what i said about a month ago? i LIKE certain figs in the Final 22 at least half as a matter of fact. I am extremely excited for that 442nd battalion clone as i have made abundantly clear. I love the clone sargent, appo, and the vtsc biker repainted, kashyyyk trooper, and kitik is just a cool character i didnt grab both times around ( AND i have a pet mantis named Kitik- i kid you not!  :) ) . basicly wut im saying is that just because its a ******* repaint, rehash, kitbash, repack doesnt mean it cant be an awesome fig. p.s. its november...where's wave 8???!!!!  ???
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 6, 2006, 08:52 PM »
not trying to be mean or anything. i just find it funny how a lot of people complain about paying $7 for figures. try paying $10 normal price everywhere you go. thats a pain. although it never really makes me want to stop. some of the new figures are really cool. some are not. i sometimes wish hasbro had better ties with canada so we could get the cool stuff. (mace BP,501st BP last couple of waves coming out for the SAGA line) but then again i know either way im not going to finish the sets and i just like getting certain figures to make displays anyways. its fun its a hobby...even if it does stick its hand in your wallet .
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline poddie

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 7, 2006, 12:17 AM »
Wow.  I have to say, I'm absolutely ashamed by the poor support of the line in this thread.  Many of the posts are downright mean-spirited.  I hope to God that the good folks at Hasbro don't monitor this board and read threads like this.  No wonder they have such a hard time responding to collector desires sometimes, if people acted like this when asking me for something I sure wouldn't be very inspired to make them happy either.

Here are some FACTS that seem to be completely overlooked by many of the contributors to this thread:

(1) This is a TOY line.  The main target for these toys is KIDS.  This means that not every release is aimed at providing maximum enjoyment to collectors.  This is how the line survives, by remaining popular to kids who want main characters over and over and don't mind a repaint much because they only have 5% of what has been released.

(2) Hasbro does NOT force you guys to buy EVERY figure.  This is absolutely your own silly idea.  Why you think Hasbro should not release product that will sell to the mass market in a new package just because you don't want to shell out for it again I will never understand.  Here's what you have to do... try to follow along now... DON'T BUY IT A SECOND TIME.  And don't then come in here saying "You know what?  I'm not falling for this trap to get me to buy this CRAP again!!!!  Hasbro SUX!!!"  There is NO TRAP.  They are making a product that is aimed at a different audience and that will help support the line and provide them with the funds they need to make more stuff we DO want to have.  This is a win for everybody.

(3) Just because a toy has been released before does not mean that when it is released again it is suddenly CRAP.  Please reference number 1.  The kids out there do not own every figure that has been released... either because they couldn't find it or they couldn't afford it or they didn't know it existed.  Hasbro can cheaply produce more of these figures and sell boatloads of them to kids that will truly appreciate them.  WHY DOES THIS MAKE HASBRO EVIL???

(4) Has anybody in here even SEEN the 2007 line??? Hasn't it occurred to anyone that the reason the last 27 (or whatever) figures this year are repaints is because they are gearing up to give us a MASSIVE line of incredible sculpts that specifically cater to us next year???

Hasbro is not anywhere near perfect... they often make questionable decisions.  And I have no problem with people voicing what those issues are.  But this is not an exact science.  They are trying to balance the needs of two very differant markets, and excite both of them.  I don't think the line can succeed without both of those markets.  They obviously are doing what they can to please as many people as possible, while still making enough money to continue making the line profitable.  People need to give them some credit, and remain somewhat polite to the people who obviously enjoy these toys as much as we do, but have certain priorities that have to be met.

I am appalled of the mud slinging and ignorance being thrown about here.  It truly makes me ashamed to be associated with other "collectors".

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #55 on: December 7, 2006, 12:49 AM »
give it to them poddie! when i go to the store and see the KIDS picking up the figures there not saying i allready have this and that. they just want more and only the ones that they remember. as many waves as hasbro makes is as many waves of kids starting to buy this plastic junk so let hasbro make kids happy and they will make you happy by making a figure that was on the film for 30 seconds.
He's no good to me open

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 7, 2006, 02:18 AM »
Appalled?  Gee, that hurt.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: December 7, 2006, 04:17 AM »
Poddie, I've got to step in and say that you've got to tone it down a bit with the hostility...  Around these boards, everyone's opinion is welcomed and accepted...  When you disagree, disagree with tact and respect please.  Talking down to people in this thread isn't earning you any admiration from the staff much less the membership... 

You're entitled to disagree and voice that, but don't act like you know the toy line/industry better than anyone else...  And don't judge how other people collect (and how/what is important to them in collecting impacts their feelings on the line and how they'll continue to collect or cease to do so).  This thread pretty much should've been a red flag to you by its title if you truly feel the way you do... 

And to point a few things out...

I have to say, I'm absolutely ashamed by the poor support of the line in this thread.

Are you, seriously?  I mean...  I didn't sculpt or design anything at Hasbro to feel shame when people criticize the way anything came out of Pawtucket...  I think this is a tad bit of an overreaction to something very petty.  Hell, knowing what I do about the people at Hasbro, I can safely say they actually care to an extent, and also are able to take the criticisms and work with them (or not if they deem it so).

I hope to God that the good folks at Hasbro don't monitor this board and read threads like this.

Well, the good folks at Hasbro do monitor this board...  And others.  They read the praise and criticism alike...  They've been quite responsive about it actually, and the negative feelings people have in the collecting community (at large) have spurred change at Hasbro over the years.  Good change too...

So cracking down on opinions you feel are too harsh isn't really positive for the line or the community...  Hasbro are big boys and girls, and I'm positive their hopes and dreams aren't shattered because Joe Blow thinks that the new EU figure sucks eggs, or that too many repacked figures are driving a completist from the hobby.

Personally I empathize with the completists on some level and I think I try to empathize with all the various collectors with all their various "habits" because I have my own collecting quirks that I know annoy the **** out of me when Hasbro drops the ball and I'm unhappy...  It's nice to have the support, especially when you feel like you're the only one thinking that way.  Sometimes Hasbro hears that gripe and changes, sometimes they don't really care because they have a plan and run with it.  Sometimes they're wrong and sometimes they're right too...  I think sometimes Hasbro actually DOES appreciate the input they get at the forums around the net though like ours.  Actually, I'm quite certain they are happy to get the feedback.

I am appalled of the mud slinging and ignorance being thrown about here.  It truly makes me ashamed to be associated with other "collectors".

Like I said...  Are you really?  Criticism of toys and Hasbro's business plans for the line are hardly mud slinging...  Some of the gripes are clearly poorly voiced, but at the end of the day Hasbro will either take it or leave it as they feel best suits them, and they're not hurt by the feelings in this thread...  so you have to ask yourself a question then; Why are you? 

I'm not ashamed by anyone's opinion in this thread, and I honestly don't agree with all of it...  Some points I do agree, but my attitude is pumped for new stuff, and I like the repaints we're getting...  Some of the repacks are good for me too next year.

At the same time though, I can see where a guy who wants 1 of every carded figure (because that's his personal choice as to how he collects and feels a true "collection"  should look) is a little sick of buying the umpteenth Cantina Han Solo, or Pilot Obi-Wan, or Slashing Attack Anakin, or whatever...  I know where that guy is coming from for sure, especially when you see some of those choices selling so dismally.

BTW, about price (wholely separate point I'm making here)...

And I don't mean to sound like a jerk about this either, so don't take it that way you Canuckleheads, but for me it's the same as if I complained about what I pay for the Hot Toys Snap Kit figures I buy from Asia...  Or for a more close-to-home example, a Kubrick-a-holic complaining about what he pays to get Kubricks imported to him here.

Sure I want to bitch a storm up that I pay $15 a figure for my Snap Kit figures and my buddy in Japan pays I think like $5 US per figure or something...  I forget what he told me...  But the fact is I'm getting something that I have to "import" and it's just where I live that impacts the cost... 

Hey I'd hate the sales tax I'd have to pay in NYC or LA too...  I live in Pittsburgh though and my sales tax is minimal compared to some.  I bitch about $7 because in my home, $7 is high-priced...  I can get military figures in the same scale for $5.  I think $7 is too high for these small figures and I'm hoping for a price decrease at some point after the line's popularity starts to dwindle.

Like I said though, I can still feel the pain of my Canadian friends too...  But I also don't buy your toys, so since I buy my own toys I bitch about the prices I have to pay, not yours. ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline poddie

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 7, 2006, 01:40 PM »
Jesse, I agree with most of what you say.  I think the difference I see is that they are calling the line crap and judging what Hasbro does in very hostile ways without even considering why Hasbro does things that way.  There seems to be no appreciation that collectors are not the only market, and that the kids are keeping the line afloat as much as the collectors are (if not more).

I have absolutely no problem with pointing out the flaws of figures or choices, I just question the language and harshness it is done with in this thread (particularly the constant use of the word crap to describe toys that are re-released, which to me does not make it a less cool toy, it just makes it something I don't need to buy).  If Hasbro thinks there are still a few little Jimmie's out there who need a Cantina Han and it doesn't sit on the pegs tool long (meaning they're right), I say go for it and release him again!  There are obviously some figs where Hasbro overestimates the demand (too many Vaders) and these are valid criticisms, but that still does not make the 500th Vader crap.

I do wish there was somewhere where I could post where it seems like people take into account the reasoning behind Hasbro's actions, while still pointing out where they can improve.  I come to this site for your reviews which are by far the best and most accurate, and I would love to be able to use the forum, but the judgmental (which appears undeserved in most cases) attitude of what seems like 70% of the posters in here is a major deterrent.

It would be one thing if Hasbro was making decisions that are unpopular with collectors for no reason, but that is clearly not the case in most instances.

And I still can not drum up an ounce of sympathy for those who feel that Hasbro is tricking them in some way by releasing toys that are wanted by others but not them.  They really should realize that it is not their obligation to buy everything... it just doesn’t make sense when Hasbro has very good (and beneficial to many) reasons for re-releasing things.

That all said, I will try to tone it down.  I love this site's news/reviews, and certainly do not want to provoke the ire of its creator(s).  :)
« Last Edit: December 7, 2006, 01:46 PM by poddie »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 7, 2006, 02:16 PM »
I am more excited after seeing the Yavin Wave.  I am skipping the tins and all of the Heroes and Villans or whatever those repacks lately were called.  I am looking forward to a few of the Final 22 figures - not many though. 

I am looking forward to getting some of the figures with those coins.  I have to admit I like the idea of getting a complete set of them.  Why?  Nostalgia from the old POTF coins mainly.   For some reason I'm excited now for the coins.  I wish they would still throw in the stands but I can always get those online if I need more. 

Yeah, if the Fett figure is going to be the quality we get for those McQuarrie figures then I'm quite excited for those.  I still have frustrations with the repacks and suck.  I am not thrilled for the Saga Legends to be honest....although I like several of the Fan's Choice ones we will be getting.  So, I just take the good with the bad I suppose.