Author Topic: Nostalgic TV: Favorite Shows from your Childhood?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Nostalgic TV: Favorite Shows from your Childhood?
« on: November 4, 2005, 02:56 PM »
While happening across a few "retro" and nostalgic sites today (such as this one), it got me to thinking about all the great cartoons (or other) shows we had when we were kids.  I grew up through the 80s, and I look back fondly on a lot of the shows we had then.  Maybe they haven't aged the best now, but some still seem to hold a special place for me.  What were some of your favorite Saturday morning, or weekday morning/afternoon shows?  I can still remember catching a Transformers episode before I went to school during the week, and then coming home to GI Joe and He-Man.  Good times.

A Few Favorites
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - one of my favorites growing up, and one that I had a lot of the toys from too.  Halfway tempted to pick up the DVD Season set, but have only broke down for the "10 best" one so far.  That really brought back some memories.

G.I. Joe - G.I. Joe was a staple of my childhood, right up there with Star Wars, comics, and He-Man.  I watched this quite regularly as a kid, and did my best not to miss an episode.  Between our group of friends, I think we had most/all of the toys covered and could have quite the battles set up with the toys.  Another one that has tempted me on DVD, but has been put off so far.

Transformers - "Generation 1" as it is often called, and what I feel was the best time for Transformers.  I didn't really have a whole lot of the toys, at least the bigger ones, although I always wished I had more.  The cartoon was really good I thought, and I can still remember what some of the voices, etc. sounded like.  I've been tempted to get the DVDs of these as well, but they've just been put on the backburner like Joe.

Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends - Maybe not as "mainstream" at the time as the first three, but this was one of my favorite shows.  I've always been a Spidey kid, and still am, and this show was so great at the time.  I've noticed that Toon Disney has started showing these every so often, and I've caught a few.  I kind of wish they'd release these on DVD eventually.  I can remember when this show became the "Spidey/Hulk" show, with some Incredible Hulk toons as well.

Superfriends - As cheezy as the show seems now, I really liked this when I was a kid.  This, combined with the Super Powers line, brought a lot of fun.

Batman: TAS - Not really a "kid" anymore, but I remember watching this with my younger brother when I was in HS.  I still watch the reruns of this and Superman: TAS on Boomerang, and have a couple of the DVD sets.  Great stuff, and lead into the current Justice League shows too.

Thundercats - Kind of ripped off from He-Man, but I liked this show too.

Silverhawks - Short lived, came about shortly after Thundercats, but I liked it.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - "Vintage" version, another favorite.

DROIDS/Ewoks - Star Wars, so I definitely watched it.

Inhumanoids - Some might not remember this, and I don't think it was on long, but I really liked it.  had a few of the toys too, kind of neat stuff.

M.A.S.K. - Great toyline, and I liked the show a lot too...another one that didn't seem to last long.

Ghostbusters - "The Real" Ghostbusters I believe it was called, although they looked different than the movie.  I remember Egon having blonde hair, and some other minor differences.

Classics
Scooby Doo
Flinstones/Jetsons
Bugs Bunny/Looney Toons

Others I Remember
Alvin and the Chipmunks - Maybe a little embarassing to admit, but I liked this show as a kid.
Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show - Always a fan of the Peanuts gang.
Animaniacs/Tiny Toons - A little older with this too, but Animaniacs in particular was quite funny.
Garfield and Friends - Pretty funny show.
Disney - Rescue Rangers, Talespin, Darkwing Duck, DuckTales, etc. - A little older here too, but entertaining.  Watched w/brother.
Muppet Show/Muppet Babies - I remember the Muppet Show quite fondly, and still enjoy watching the old episodes when I can.  I remember the Muppet Babies cartoon as well, although it is a little embarassing to admit it.  I remember a fair amount of Star Wars references on that show though.
Inspector Gadget - A good show, should be reruns on somewhere.
Mighty Mouse
Underdog
Hanna Barbera Shows
Video Game Shows - Pole Position, PacMan, Captain N?
Fat Albert

Those are just a few that I can remember, or that I took off the list from that site above.  I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, and some of these I didn't watch as much as others, but I do remember them.  Anyone else have fond memories of certain toons or shows from when you were a kid, whenever that may have been?
« Last Edit: November 4, 2005, 02:57 PM by mosnab »

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
Re: Nostalgic TV: Favorite Shows from your Childhood?
« Reply #1 on: November 4, 2005, 03:04 PM »
Anything early Nickelodeon. I'll elaborate more later.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 4, 2005, 04:20 PM »
Some of my favorite early childhood shows:

Adventures Of Pete And Pete
Superfriends
Thundercats
Smurfs reruns
Garfield And Friends

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 4, 2005, 04:24 PM »
Skipping over the cartoon years, the big ones for me were MacGyver and ALF.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #4 on: November 4, 2005, 04:46 PM »
As far as kid shows, my favorites were:

The Amazing Spider-Man.  You all know the themesong....I was excited to get the entire show on dvd last year.

Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends-- Another great Saturday morning Favorite.

Bugs Bunny--hell, I still love the looney toons!

The Muppet Show--I should get these on dvd.

The Bugaloos-- I actually liked all of the Syd and Marty Kroft shows, but this one was my favorite of the bunch.

Voltron--What a great cartoon.  I used to watch it everyday after school.

I'm sure there's more that I'm missing.  I'll post them later.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline hansolo_506

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 4, 2005, 05:41 PM »
I refuse answering questions like this, because then everyone will realize just how much of an old fogie I am. 

See...I even used the word fogie!

But I did enjoy starting off my mornings with a bowl of cereal, watching that guy in the red jacket jangle his big loop of keys as he opened up for the day, usually just before getting hit on the head by some ping-pong balls.

I do also remember watching Gary Moore and Derwood Kerby every morning..

DAMN I'M OLD!!!!!!!

be back later...I need a nap.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2005, 05:43 PM by hansolo_506 »
Don't curse in your signature.

-c.berry

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 4, 2005, 06:35 PM »
I loved HR puffinstuff and Land of the Lost. Also watched Ultraman, the Monkees and You can't do that on Television alot.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 4, 2005, 08:22 PM »
Cartoons:
GI Joe: Was once hosptialise with a bed in which the TV set was broken.  My mom ended up having them move me to another bed so I could watch the cartoon.

Smurfs and some others that I have forgotten.

TV Shows:
Emergency, Chips, V (Movies and series),  and ALf.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 4, 2005, 08:37 PM »
Oh my, this is going to dig way back for me.  ;D

American Bandstand.
Atom Ant.
Ark II.
Banana Splits.  ;D
Batfink.
Batman.
Birdman.
Bugs Bunny Road Runner.
Captain Scarlet.
Fireball XL5.
Flintstones.
George of the Jungle.  ;D
Gilligan's Island.
H.R. Pufnstuf.
Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show.  ;D
Jetsons.
Joe 90.
Krofft Supershow.
Land of the Lost.
Monkees.
Pink Panther.
Secret Service.
Spiderman.
Shazam/Isis.
Star Trek.
Stingray.
Thunderbirds.
Underdog.
Wacky Races.

Just a few, there were more overseas but my memory fads with age!  :P I do remember watching some Irwin Allen shows like Land of the Giants, Time Tunnel and so forth but I think they were late afternoon shows.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 4, 2005, 10:47 PM »
Cartoons:
GI Joe
MOTU
Voltron (Lions)-the little vehicles version was not as fun to watch
Transformers Gen 1-nothing compares to the originals
Superfriends/Super Powers-I liked it more when they had a larger cast like Hawkman, Green Arrow and the Atom
Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends
Kid Super Power Hour With SHAZAM!-just for the Captain Marvel parts
Dungeons and Dragons
Dragon's Lair-I liked how they captured the spirit of the game by showing possible outcomes if Dirk made the wrong move.
Some of the other video game cartoons were hit and miss.  Sometimes Pac-Man and Donkey Kong were good.

Live Action
Dukes of Hazzard-man the recent movie sucked.  They made Bo into a retard.
Knight Rider
A Team
Batman-It was cool when I was 5 years old
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century-The first season was far better than the second.  I wish somebody would do something with this property.  It's time for a new TV show or movie like what happened to Battlestar Galactica.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #10 on: November 4, 2005, 10:57 PM »
Buck Rogers was AWESOME! I love Wilma!!!! :-*

A couple other live action show to includes…

Airwolf (the helicopter)

Streethawk (suped up motorcycle show & Knight Rider rip off)

On Sat mornings their was Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 5, 2005, 12:09 AM »
Buck Rogers was AWESOME! I love Wilma!!!! :-*

A couple other live action show to includes…

Airwolf (the helicopter)

Streethawk (suped up motorcycle show & Knight Rider rip off)

On Sat mornings their was Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future

Funny that you mentioned Streethawk.  I was just running a search of it on Google when I flipped over here.  For some reason, the show AUTOMAN jumps into my mind as well.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.