Author Topic: Black Series 6" Subscription Service Coming?  (Read 1669 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Black Series 6" Subscription Service Coming?
« on: February 15, 2019, 01:06 PM »
Sounds like a Black Series 6" subscription service might be coming to the new Hasbro Pulse site.  If true, it'll be interesting to see how many folks are interested in a "one of everything" type model.  I imagine a lot of folks will pass because they only want OT or want to pick and choose paint apps or whatever.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: Black Series 6" Subscription Service Coming?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 01:13 PM »
I'd be all over this, assuming they had some caveats that would make things like Archive releases and potentially slight variants things you could opt out of.

I pretty much want one of every new figure they create, but would prefer to have the option to pass on endless Clone/officer/trooper repaints, etc.  I don't need clean R2-D2, muddy Dagobah R2-D2, snowy Hoth R2-D2, etc.  As long as Hasbro didn't abuse this with variants I couldn't opt out of I would love this service.

This would be ideal for collector friendly (but less consumer friendly) stuff like Hammerhead, Walrusman, Yak Face, the last of the Rebels crew, etc.  If they could crank all these out on a consistent basis I would love it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 02:53 PM by Dave »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 02:13 PM »
It will be interesting to see what this is exactly. Is it simply a sub to get each Black Series figure that will also be released to retail/e-tail, or will it include figures exclusive to this service that you wouldn't be able to get otherwise? Although I probably have picked up more than I haven't, but I do still pick and choose with this line (and had been getting a little choosier because of space).

Honestly, I wouldn't have been surprised to see TVC go this route. As much as I (and most of us) love it, it has had troubles at retail - probably because of the usual first wave/shipping problems - and also the rest of the collecting world really seems to be going towards 6" figures.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 03:15 PM »
I don't know what to think about this... If anything, I thought it would be 3.75" (TVC) would go this route as it seems distribution stinks.  How any are still staring at Wave 1 at their B&M store (some, like me, have spotted wave 3 once and that was it... now back to wave 1)?

But in regards to 6", I'll be curious to hear more about what is being proposed here.  Will this service offer their own exclusives or say a "Fast Pass" to get convention exclusives before the general public?  Will this also mean that you'd be in for buying every 6" vehicle that came out as well (especially at full price)?  I think there are a lot of collectors that are OT only and I know there are some that are one of everything, too.  But I think it'd be a hard swallow to buy something at full price when most of the figures are usually cheaper at amazon or if people are patient enough to wait for clearances at B&M.  I do know there are people who have claimed to not have bought a figure at full price, so I would think Hasbro would have to offer some kind of enticement to those who buy into this program (I'm getting something that these bargain hunters aren't for my 'loyalty').

I suppose we'll find out tomorrow.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 03:27 PM »
I am one of the few out there who does buy one of everything, but even I am skeptical of this service. How do I know what kind of condition these will arrive in? What if I want to double up on a certain character? Will I be paying less than retail for all of these?

I would be into it if there was at least one exclusive figure. like MattyCollector used to do.

Devil is in the details I guess.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 05:28 PM »
I think there are a lot of collectors that are OT only and I know there are some that are one of everything, too.  But I think it'd be a hard swallow to buy something at full price when most of the figures are usually cheaper at amazon or if people are patient enough to wait for clearances at B&M.  I do know there are people who have claimed to not have bought a figure at full price, so I would think Hasbro would have to offer some kind of enticement to those who buy into this program (I'm getting something that these bargain hunters aren't for my 'loyalty').

I suppose we'll find out tomorrow.

I fall into all if these categories, I am not all in on 6" as I get only certain figures. And I have been able to maintain a $9 average on buying figures thanks to being patient. While this subscription service will be great for many, there is likely an equal number of folks who won't partake. Hopefully that won't hinder this being a success for those who want the service. But Hasbro would be best to monitor pricing on Amazon to remain competitive.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot