Author Topic: 2005 DVD Thread  (Read 70996 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2005 DVD Thread
« Reply #255 on: October 17, 2005, 02:53 PM »
..and on top of that Circuit City is issuing a free lithograph with purchase, whereas Best Buy has a store exclusive lenticular cover.

Decisions, decisions.

I'll be headed to Best Buy - they will price match the lowest price I can find and they are offering two free bottles of Coke according to the weekly ad.  That puts them over the top for me...  :D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 17, 2005, 03:24 PM »
Speaking of all these promos for retailers, does Best Buy or anyone have a free thing with the ROTS DVD? Sort of like the free Insider that was available with the OT DVD or BF last year.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 17, 2005, 03:37 PM »
Speaking of all these promos for retailers, does Best Buy or anyone have a free thing with the ROTS DVD? Sort of like the free Insider that was available with the OT DVD or BF last year.

Wal Mart will have an exclusive Bonus Disc. IIRC, it's a documentary on R2 and C3P0.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #258 on: October 17, 2005, 03:42 PM »
Wal Mart will have an exclusive Bonus Disc. IIRC, it's a documentary on R2 and C3P0.

There is still a debate on whether it is a "free" disc or not...   :-\

For Example at Wal-Mart.com:

The Widescreen Ep 3 = $15.87
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4127388

The Widescreen Ep3 DVD with 2nd Disc = $20.87
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4242488

We will have to wait and see if Wal-Mart is going to offer the 2-disc set for the $16 price in stores on Nov 1st.  No one has received any solid confirmation one way or the other yet. 

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

« Reply #259 on: October 17, 2005, 08:18 PM »
Back to the Big Lebowski DVD.

The older edition I've got says 1 hour 38 minutes on the box.

Amazon.com says the new DVD is 118 minutes.

That's a 20 minute difference - anyone know if this is confirmed?  I'd think they'd be advertising this heavily if it was an extended edition, but I can't find any real reference to it.

I've never heard of any discussion of an extended cut, ever really, so I'm 99% sure it is another Amazon.com error.

I'm trying to decide if I should go out of my way for the Achiever Edition or not.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #260 on: October 18, 2005, 12:28 AM »
I wonder if Best Buy's price on the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Season 1 Vol. 1 is true. It said $25 in the circular this week, while Target's listed it for $35.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow. It's a choice between Batman and He-Man if that price at BB is true.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 18, 2005, 08:25 PM »
Need help with two picks.  First.  Batman Begins single disc or 2-disc set.  Does the double disc with the extras have any thing good on it?  The single disc is bare bones with the film and thats it.  Also the unrated Saw disc.  It looks like only a couple of extra minutes.  Is that it or is it a different cut?  Im assuming, spoilers who have not seen it.............................................................................

Supposedly the scene at the end where Cary Elwes just saws through his leg is more graphic.  Can anyone confirm that is the only difference.  If so a pass for me.  Great flick.  Although the sequel looks disappointing with the been there done that type of thing. 

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 18, 2005, 09:02 PM »
Picked up the Batman Begins 2 Disc and Comic set. :)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 18, 2005, 09:02 PM »
Supposedly the scene at the end where Cary Elwes just saws through his leg is more graphic.  Can anyone confirm that is the only difference.  If so a pass for me.  Great flick.  Although the sequel looks disappointing with the been there done that type of thing.  

That's my impression - the cut is only a minute longer.

If you get it at Best Buy, it does have a free ticket to see Saw II included - which makes the whole thing a pretty good value IMO.

For today:

« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 09:06 PM by Rob »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #264 on: October 19, 2005, 04:37 AM »

Not quite, but you're very, very close. 

It looks to be something hosted by the droids, which tells the story of Anakin and Luke.  This may have been something which aired on Fox around the time that Clones came out in theatres.

And word has it (although this may just be wishful thinking) that Best Buy's giveaway will be a Prequel Trilogy slipcase, to match the Original Trilogy slipcase.  That would be similar to what they did with Kill Bill, Volume 2 last year.

We'll know for sure in about a week's time. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #265 on: October 19, 2005, 04:42 AM »
Oh, and I ordered Batman Begins: Deluxe from Amazon, who was selling it for $15-something.  Added a CD, and got everything shipped for $26-something.

Beats the hell out of some lithograph or lenticular box-art bull****, which is just that:  bull****.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #266 on: October 19, 2005, 05:32 AM »
And word has it (although this may just be wishful thinking) that Best Buy's giveaway will be a Prequel Trilogy slipcase, to match the Original Trilogy slipcase.  That would be similar to what they did with Kill Bill, Volume 2 last year.

Hmmm, that'd be interesting. It'd give me one less reason to buy a box set until the "final" editions come out in 6-pack. But I though Best Buy was doing the Unleashed Vader? Which I'm assuming, of course, isn't free.
"This is the way."

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 19, 2005, 06:05 AM »

If that's the case, I'll take the slipcase over the extra DVD at Wal-Mart in a heartbeat.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 19, 2005, 11:12 AM »

Not quite, but you're very, very close. 

It looks to be something hosted by the droids, which tells the story of Anakin and Luke.  This may have been something which aired on Fox around the time that Clones came out in theatres.

Did they not host that on "Wal Mart TV" at one point as well? I was really hoping for something brand new.

If that's the case, I'll take the slipcase over the extra DVD at Wal-Mart in a heartbeat.

I'd opt for the DVD. Slipcases, in my collection anyway, get folded and stored.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 19, 2005, 03:16 PM »

Beats the hell out of some lithograph or lenticular box-art ********, which is just that:  ********.

It's alls about the competition. I'd rather see lower prices in the B&M's than free ****, personally, as well.

Picked up Transformers Season 1 today for $20. Some poor guy took out a loan against all the GI Joe, Transformers, and Beast Wars DVD sets, couldn't pay it back, and ended up having it all sold. Sucks for him.   :-\