Author Topic: 2005 DVD Thread  (Read 70996 times)

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 DVD Thread
« Reply #300 on: October 25, 2005, 11:16 AM »
So, what's on the menu today, kids? I'm going small, but expensive.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #301 on: October 25, 2005, 11:33 AM »
I'll probably grab this at some point this week:

Still debating picking up Herbie or not...  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 25, 2005, 11:35 AM »
Corey, where are you getting Cannibal Holocaust at?  I can't think of a single store that will probably sell it around here - I'm guessing that I'll have to order it.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 25, 2005, 01:50 PM »
I ordered both off of Amazon. It's either Amazon or DeepDiscount, virtually the same price, same delivery time, free shipping, etc.

Best Buy is pretty good about carrying Blue Underground releases, i.e. Zombi 2 Ann. Edition, but for some reason, I don't forsee "Cannibal Holocaust" being a title they'll be enthusiastically pushing.

It's limited to either 10,000 or 11,111 copies nationwide. I've heard both, and given its history and availability, I'm thinking they'll go pretty fast.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 01:51 PM by Cinemaddiction »

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 26, 2005, 09:04 PM »
So, has anyone swung by Wal Mart lately and stumble across "Fletch" for $4.88? I've had my copy for a while, got it cheap, but wouldn't mind a minty fresh one.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 27, 2005, 10:07 AM »
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Batman Begins Deluxe DVD was limited in some way?  I'm starting to think so after this week.  I ran to our closest Wal-Mart last Tuesday morning to pick it up, but they were charging $25 for it...and at the time Amazon had it for $16ish, so I passed.  I thought I'd wait and see what price Target had, since they usually have good sales the first week of release.  Over the course of last week, and this past weekend, I checked all our Targets, the other Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. and all were sold out.  So, I go to Amazon yesterday to order it, and right as I'm getting ready to check out they move it to my "save for later" because it is no longer available.  So, I head to various online sites (Walmart.com, Target.com, BestBuy.com, CircuitCity.com, DeepDiscountDVD.com, DVDEmpire.com, etc.) and all are out of stock.  Anyways.....long story short, it doesn't seem to be in large supply anywhere.  I usually enjoy the special features type things, but I'm leaning towards picking up the "regular" version just to see the movie again if the deluxe version isn't available for quite some time.  I know there are some nice extras on the Deluxe version (plus a comic)....is it anything spectacular that I shouldn't miss?  Would I really be missing out if I can't find the Deluxe edition and just pick up a regular release?  Just curious if anyone could offer some advice.  I still don't see why they did it this way, instead of just releasing the 2 disc set as the "regular release" like Star Wars and almost all other movies do.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 27, 2005, 10:17 AM »
It's limited to either 10,000 or 11,111 copies nationwide. I've heard both, and given its history and availability, I'm thinking they'll go pretty fast.

Yeah - 11,111 - an odd number, but that's what they said on the back. The transfer on this version is so sweet... but it kinda ruins the feel of the film. I almost prefer my older, grainy version - it just gives it a more realistic feel. Kinda like the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Batman Begins Deluxe DVD was limited in some way? 

It's either that or some sort of production run problem. I ordered 25 copies for my store, and when we sold the last one the other day I called all 3 of my distributors and not a single piece was to be found. I would find it hard to believe that a title like that from a company like WB would have a finite print run without any kind of announcement about numbers, so I'm guessing there will be more available at some point.

The same thing happened with the Spider-Man 2 Deluxe Edition as well as the Scarface Deluxe. Once I ran out of those it was almost a month before any of my distributors had any back in stock. They told me there was a production problem with something in the set, and sure enough a few weeks later they were back on the shelf. If you're that nervous about it though, there are several people selling it on ebay with a BIN of $16.99, like this guy here.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 27, 2005, 10:45 AM »
Regarding BB deluxe edition, I think it's a rights issue with the comic that came with it.  You can try Borders, Tower Records or the like instead of the bigger stores like WM, Best Buy and Target.  Of course, you'll probably pay more, but it might be worth it in the long run, especially when the scalpers entrepreneurs start grabbing these up and selling them on ebay as "OMG!!!1!! Super-rare OOP Batman Begins deluxe DVD.  HTF!!!!1!"
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 27, 2005, 12:26 PM »
The Best Buy Deluxe Edition is already fetching around $35. That's typical with Best Buy exclusives, because Non-US bidders scour eBay for their bonus discs and exclusives. Anyone buying up $25 dollar sets for an ultimate $10 profit are just plain stupid, as are anyone that buy things that are still in production, looking to turn a profit.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 27, 2005, 12:30 PM »
I ordered both off of Amazon. It's either Amazon or DeepDiscount, virtually the same price, same delivery time, free shipping, etc.

I went ahead and ordered from Deep Discount DVD - they wanted $19.82 and amazon was $22.46

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 27, 2005, 01:16 PM »
The prices gradually went up, apparently, because when I placed my order, it was the same price as DeepDiscount, and then in the invoice, almost a $1 more;

Shipping Details: (orders will arrive in 2 shipments) 
Order #:  104-8144807-9033513 
Shipping Method:  FREE Super Saver Shipping 
Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items:  $41.94
Shipping & Handling:  $3.97 
Promotional Certificates:  - $3.97
  ------
Total for this Order:   $41.94

Shipping estimate for these items:  October 30, 2005
Delivery estimate:  November 4, 2005 - November 7, 2005   1 "Cannibal Holocaust"
Ruggero Deodato; DVD; $20.97

Shipping estimate for these items:  October 31, 2005
Delivery estimate:  November 5, 2005 - November 8, 2005   1 "Bird With the Crystal Plumage"
Dario Argento; DVD; $20.97

I ordered on Tuesday, if it makes a difference, which it obviously does, now that CH is $2 more than it was on the release date.

BTW, for what it's worth, dvdlist.kazart.com now lists the "Batman Begins" 2 Disc LE w/ comic as "discontinued". I think I may swing by BB to see if they have any of the lenticular covered versions available, so I can stash it away.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 27, 2005, 03:01 PM »
Amazon.com was $24.99 when I looked on Monday.

As for the Batman DVD, rumors everywhere are that it is infact discontinued.  No one has been able to find it in any stores since about Wednesday - so you might have a hard time picking up a few to sell for profit later.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 27, 2005, 03:30 PM »
Everyone - thanks a lot for the info on the Begins Deluxe DVD set.  I'm going to look around a few more places this weekend, and if no go, I may just pick up the regular release for now.  They seem to be flooded with that one everywhere.  I'm guessing we'll see this Deluxe set again, maybe without the comic though, because the regular release doesn't have the special features does it?  I thought it was a single disc version, but maybe I'm mistaken.  Anyways, thanks again, I appreciate the info.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 27, 2005, 03:44 PM »
..but it might be worth it in the long run, especially when the scalpers entrepreneurs start grabbing these up and selling them on ebay as "OMG!!!1!! Super-rare OOP Batman Begins deluxe DVD.  HTF!!!!1!"

Lets get past these false assumptions and accusations and take the time to find my alleged "scalping" in my past auctions. I'll even give you the link.

Knock yourself out.

I mean, god forbid someone bought "Snatch" off of me for $9.99, or "Snow White" for $24.99. I'm pure evil.

As for the Batman DVD, rumors everywhere are that it is infact discontinued.  No one has been able to find it in any stores since about Wednesday - so you might have a hard time picking up a few to sell for profit later.

From my prior comment;

Anyone buying up $25 dollar sets for an ultimate $10 profit are just plain stupid, as are anyone that buy things that are still in production, looking to turn a profit.

I found one this afternoon at Best Buy, with the cover. 3 actually, but only purchased the one I needed, as I have always done when it comes to new releases. If anyone needs a copy and has PayPal, I could grab it for $24/shipped. Just LMK before 5:30 Central.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 03:48 PM by Cinemaddiction »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 27, 2005, 04:07 PM »
I find it funny that you just assumed I was talking about you.  You sure were quick to defend yourself, though.
Common sense isn't so common