Author Topic: The 2011 Mail-In Prototype Armor Boba Fett  (Read 91596 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
The 2011 Mail-In Prototype Armor Boba Fett
« on: February 7, 2011, 09:39 PM »
Any thoughts on what we could get?  Part of me almost thinks it'll be something Vintage-related like the Fett.  Like we'd wind up with a Blue Snaggletooth re-release or something (just throwing it out there, not necessarilly what I believe we'd get).  

I could almost see them delivering a Death Squad/Star Commander this way.  After our discussion though, I really am not into the thought of a repaint there.  That character clearly has a very unique uniform compared to other officers, and very clearly compared to the traditional "Death Star Trooper" in the black we're used to.

At the same time, I could see Hasbro say, "Screw it...  It's not really worth the hastle".  I reflect back on Rocket Firing Fett in particular there.  They were pretty geeked about him at Toy Fair because he was 100% aimed squarely at the collector, and I don't know if they were really intending him to even drive sales much, but rather to just give collectors something cool.

However, due to the shipping issues, they sort of faced a lot of criticism that I don't know was really honestly deserved...  at least not in Hasbro's direction specifically, but they took it.  I could just see them backing off a mail-in this year.  Maybe just Clone Wars, or maybe even nothing at all.  These toolings they're putting into them aren't cheap I'm sure.

Anyway, I'm really curious about what we could see in 2011 now.  There's been no real hint so far.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:58 AM by Scott »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: The 2011 Mail-In... Will There Be One & What Do You Want?
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2011, 11:08 PM »
If they want to go collector-oriented again I would  love a carded Blue Snaggletooth.  It's a goofy enough variant that probably would only appeal to collectors.  It's not something that Hasbro would probably want to release nationwide in every Wal-Mart in the land.  I doubt it would do well at retail.  However, as a mail away it might?  Then again it may be to obscure the more I think about it. 

Hasbro would probably opt for something with more mass appeal.  Maybe a plastic cape Jawa or Han Solo Stormtrooper?  I'm just hoping it would be a vinty cardback that we either have not had before or one of those figures from back in the day that you wish they had made but never did like Tarkin, Cantina Band Member, Vader ROTJ Rem Helmet, etc.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: February 8, 2011, 12:20 AM »
The good news:

The 2011 mail-a-way is the BMF Sail Barge

The Bad News:

It will take 1,800 Proof of Purchases and $75 for shipping.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2011, 01:55 AM »
Hah.  I like the shipping.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 8, 2011, 02:20 AM »
After all the shipping issues they faced with Fett, I'll be surprised if they have a mailaway for '11.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 8, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Well, they have already said there will not be a Clone Wars Mail-In offer for this year, so that's what I really wanted. (Ziro!)

I also think the Boba Fett packaging criticism was completely deserved. As a brand, Hasbro is reponsible for anything and everything related to their internal promotions. They get final say over design, packaging, everything. They did not have that issue with previous mail-away promotions, and it seems apparent they tried to skate by with a cheaper, less reliable alternative and got burned. (They had to know what would happen when these things hit the mass media mail sorters)

I do give them props for correcting the issue.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 8, 2011, 11:50 AM »
It will take 1,800 Proof of Purchases and $75 for shipping.

If they were really going for the collector market it would be 1,800 Jedi Master Points! (Come on, admit it, we all still have some somewhere...).

I think a figure that never made it out during the original release (Tarkin, etc.) would be cool.
I am not the Stig

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 8, 2011, 12:22 PM »
I'd just like to see some simple army building sets of existing figures in a simple white box mailer.

- Rebel Trooper 4-pk (Vintage mold)
- Stormtrooper 4-pk (Tantive IV mold)
- Gamorrean Guard 4-pk (Vintage mold)
- Republic Commando 4-pk (Evolutions mold)

Mail in 5 UPCs and $20.00, and you get your figures.  Simple for Hasbro and we get some awesome army builders... done and done.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2011, 12:23 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 8, 2011, 01:29 PM »

If they were really going for the collector market it would be 1,800 Jedi Master Points! (Come on, admit it, we all still have some somewhere...).

:D

Some?  Probably tens of thousands.  But they're in a box.  Somewhere. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 8, 2011, 01:36 PM »
Fozec!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 8, 2011, 03:37 PM »
I like the idea of a Blue Snaggletooth reissue similar to the Rocket Fett.  The other vintage releases don't really make sense at this point.  If anything, maybe a sneak peak Clone Wars or Star Wars TV figure could be done.  As I recall, many of the vintage mail-away's were previews of some unknown upcoming figure/character (Fett, Ackbar, Nein Nunb, Emperor). 

I'd also be game for an updated version of the vintage wapons pack or the display stands instead of figures.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #11 on: February 8, 2011, 05:54 PM »
I think it would be much cooler to do a set piece accessory like the Cantina Distillery instead of the figure.

Even a  Sebastian Shaw Anakin would be very neat and in line with the Vintage line. I liked every single mail away they have made so far so no matter what I hope they continue offering them.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 8, 2011, 06:01 PM »
If they want to re release the vintage Death Squad Commander would be cool enough
Other vintage figure could be the tie fighter pilot
Or they could adapt an evolution tie pilot to the vinatge colors, with grey gloves and boots.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: February 8, 2011, 07:03 PM »
The distillery would be cool, however they don't have a bar that can go behind it yet still...  I'd probably dig a U-piece (single, and wider) at this point than the dispenser, just because it's kind of like putting the cart before the horse the other way.  I want the dispender too though.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 8, 2011, 07:27 PM »
What I'd like is 5 POPs and $6.99 gets you the "lost" Raiders of the Lost Ark wave from a few years back (Toht, Marion, German Indy, etc.) ;D :'(
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks