Community > Middle Earth

The Hobbit - Toy Line

(1/72) > >>

Nicklab:
News is out about a couple of toy licensees for The Hobbit.  LEGO has signed on, and should do a pretty nice job with this.  A LEGO Smaug would be pretty awesome!

And then there's the figure line.  Check out this news from ToyNewsI.  A company called Bridge Direct has got the action figure license for The Hobbit.  Their credentials are less than impressive.

efranks:
Yeah, I'd heard about Bridge Direct getting the Hobbit license.  I was less than thrilled about it.  I was hoping for Hasbro, even though that was a huge long shot.  I'm still hoping they do it in 3.75" format, though.

E...

Jesse James:
3.75" format would probably get my attention at the very least...

Though...  Lego's man.  Lego.  I may not have my attention drawn away from that.

Nicklab:
I'm hoping that they'll consider the history of the Toy Biz LOTR line and work in that scale.  The Hobbits are already so small that a 3.75" scale would make them REALLY small.  And seeing how a good number of the other major characters in The Hobbit are Dwarves, they won't be much bigger.  Working in that 6" figure scale (or was it 8"?) would at least give this new line some continuity.  And I think Bridge Direct will absolutely want some of that customer base that went in on the Toy Biz LOTR line.

efranks:
I'd be very surprised to see an 8" line.  Since this will start over with the Hobbit I'm betting if they don't go 3.75" then they'll do 6" which seems to be the new 8" line in this economy.  Bigger and the retail cost could get out of hand, but we'll see.  I really don't think they're going to take the previous Toy Biz line into account.  If I were starting over, I wouldn't.  I'd go with the scale that best sells the line and with the economy today, I don't know if 8" is it.

I do agree that 3.75" is small, but if they normalized on a straight 4" height for average humans they could do it.  Plus we all know that size lends itself well to playsets and vehicles, meaning horses and whatnot.  Plus, based on that scale they could do an awesome dragon and eventually Ents and trolls and what have you.

E...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version