Author Topic: Ahsoka (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 8470 times)

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
Re: Ahsoka (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #60 on: September 7, 2023, 10:27 AM »
The problem is that literally millions of people’s lives will be lost once they fetch Thrawn.

I guess we'll see how it plays out, but I guess its kind of stupid that Thrawn is so powerful and Thrawn can do anything except for spring himself from jail. Sure there's an ancient map, that was probably made by witches... whatever

Also, I expected a way better commercial for the haslab Ghost than this.

and.. weren't the yuuzhan vong from another galaxy? I don't know as I never read those books and don't need that story line. I tend to care less when SW shifts to "oh no, that bad alien race is attacking the galaxy".
« Last Edit: September 7, 2023, 10:56 AM by StBrianOfMinneapolis »
Macklunkey!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 7, 2023, 10:39 AM »
I think it goes back to what the Nicks said.  Sabine lost everything in the Night of Thousand Tears and now that Ezra is the only family she has left, she isn't willing to sacrifice him.  I hope they expand on her loss a bit more than what they did in later episodes, because I felt it was a little glossed over.

I totally agree.  The writers have not done a great job of portraying this attachment to Ezra.  A casual fan would have a hard time picking this up, and even a hardcore fan like myself having watched every episode of Rebels multiple times didn't carry forward enough of a feeling of attachment between Ezra and Sabine.  Ezra seemed to have more of an attachment than Sabine did.

Maybe they needed some flashbacks or some other storytelling trick to tie this all together better.  There was a lot more time spent on the Sabine/Ahsoka dynamic and very little on the Sabine/Ezra dynamic.

I too am willing to roll with it and see where the story goes.  Maybe Sabine feels she can single handedly rescue Ezra and leave Thrawn stuck across the galaxy, but so far her skills vs. the Dark Jedi seem to indicate she will have limited success on her own, and Ezra's skills aren't likely enough to beat the Dark Jedi either.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 7, 2023, 11:40 AM »
I don't think it was glossed over.  I think it's more of a case of trying to see Sabine as she is now.  She blew off the ceremony and Ryder Azadi - I couldn't see the Sabine at the end of REBELS season 4 doing that.  She's living alone with a Loth cat, and viewing Ezra's hologram message with a sense of longing.  She put away her armor.  Her training with Ahsoka ended, and it's unclear as to why.  The storytelling has been subtly placing these things in front of us, but without beating us over the head with it.  It was Sabine's encounter with Baylan that crystallized this for the audience.

I also think Sabine knows that she has put herself in danger, despite Baylan's assurances.  Shin is not a fan.  Sabine is put in binders.  Does she have faith in Ezra?  Ezra was instrumental to defeating Thrawn at the Battle of Lothal. 

The title of this week's episode "Fallen Jedi" seems like it's potentially doing some heavy lifting.  Does it refer to Baylan?  What about Sabine, with her fateful decision?  And of course there's what happened to Ahsoka.  That ending was profound!  Ahsoka finds herself in the WBW again.  And while I'm not surprised that she encountered her former master, it absolutely raises questions.  Is this where a Jedi's spirit goes when they become One with the Force?

I think next week will be incredibly enlightening.  Dave Filoni is the director for episode 5 of this season, and he has a pattern of taking on directing specific episodes that will be pivotal over the course of a season.  He directed the episode of The Mandalorian where Ahsoka came to live action.  He directed the episode of The Book of Boba Fett that heavily featured Cobb Vanth and introduced Cad Bane to live action.  And I suspect that this next episode will be the one where another character that has been a big part of Dave Filoni's history will finally appear.  As for the plot?  There seems to be a lot in front of all of the characters - Sabine is in jeopardy; Morgan Elsbeth is on her quest to Peridia; Hera's squadron was nearly decimated; and Ahsoka is "elsewhere".  I think Jacen Syndulla's line of "Mom, I have a bad feeling" functioned on multiple levels about the level of jeopardy, as well as with Jacen's potential with the Force.

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 7, 2023, 12:25 PM »
Preach Nick!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 7, 2023, 06:27 PM »
I think it goes back to what the Nicks said.  Sabine lost everything in the Night of Thousand Tears and now that Ezra is the only family she has left, she isn't willing to sacrifice him.  I hope they expand on her loss a bit more than what they did in later episodes, because I felt it was a little glossed over.

I totally agree.  The writers have not done a great job of portraying this attachment to Ezra.  A casual fan would have a hard time picking this up, and even a hardcore fan like myself having watched every episode of Rebels multiple times didn't carry forward enough of a feeling of attachment between Ezra and Sabine.  Ezra seemed to have more of an attachment than Sabine did.

Maybe they needed some flashbacks or some other storytelling trick to tie this all together better.  There was a lot more time spent on the Sabine/Ahsoka dynamic and very little on the Sabine/Ezra dynamic.

1000% YES. The sudden proliferation of Sabezra shippers online points to a fundamental lack of understanding of that relationship. She was never particularly attached to him on the show, no more than Zeb so why would she suddenly be in love with him now?

I do think it has more to do with having lost her own brother like you guys were saying, but I also think they could have done a much better job establishing that through flashbacks or some kind of incidental narrative. It’s probably a lot less confusing if you never watched Rebels at least in that regard.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 7, 2023, 07:47 PM »
I didn't take it as romantic love. More in relation to Ezra's speech at end of "Rebels" and what he says to Sabine.

I have heard some people upset that it's hard to follow the show because they didn't watch "Rebels". I'm trying not to watch it expecting it to fully follow "Rebels". In "Ahsoka" I know Sabine feels very strongly about Ezra. To the point she is risking a lot of people's lives. I don't necessarily need the details of why. Again, especially with 50% of the season left. Maybe those flashbacks are still to come for a reason. It's like Rotten Tomatoes certifying the show "fresh" or not because critics saw two episodes.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2023, 07:49 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #66 on: September 7, 2023, 09:43 PM »
weren't the yuuzhan vong from another galaxy? I don't know as I never read those books and don't need that story line. I tend to care less when SW shifts to "oh no, that bad alien race is attacking the galaxy".

Yes, the Yuuzhan Vong were from another galaxy.  Before them in the original Marvel Comics there was a threat from outside the galaxy called the Nagai.  In Ahsoka, the temple on Seatoss are from an ancient people from outside the galaxy which I think the show is alluding is where the Nightsisters of Dathomir are originally from.  It could explain how they use the force so differently.

I'm still not 100% sure that's Anakin's Force Ghost.  It's not all blue and glowy...I'm really not sure what's going on in the world between worlds as of yet.  I have a feeling Ahsoka is going to use it as a way to transport to Peridia.  I don't think Hera would be able to get there in the Ghost...even if she's able to get the coordinates.

Unless they are able to use the Purgill somehow like Ezra did.

Damn...is it Tuesday yet?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2023, 07:25 AM »
I am still trying to process what I saw last night.  It definitely exceeded my expectations.

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2023, 09:17 AM »
It definitely exceeded my expectations.

Ditto.  I see some people complaining that "the Anakin stuff didn't advance the plot" or "it was just Clone Wars fan service" - yeah, maybe, but it was awesome so who cares?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2023, 09:22 AM »
I have a lot of questions about what happened in the World between Worlds.  No real complaints about it....just lots of questions.

Glad to see Ahsoka is wearing her Rebels Epilogue outfit.  I hope that's the next Ahsoka figure we get.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2023, 09:48 AM »
I have a lot of questions about what happened in the World between Worlds.  No real complaints about it....just lots of questions.

Yeah, I'm going to have to do some research on that... more as to why is Anakin running around there?  Are people just stuck in the WBW, or is that where Force Ghosts go when they're not summoned?

Glad to see Ahsoka is wearing her Rebels Epilogue outfit.  I hope that's the next Ahsoka figure we get.

I didn't realize that was the outfit (I haven't seen Rebels in a while).  I just thought it was akin to Gandalf the Gray becoming Gandalf the White *shrugs*

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2023, 10:15 AM »
It definitely exceeded my expectations.

Ditto.  I see some people complaining that "the Anakin stuff didn't advance the plot" or "it was just Clone Wars fan service" - yeah, maybe, but it was awesome so who cares?

For real?  It absolutely advanced Ahsoka's character.  She has lived with the knowledge of what Anakin became ever since that episode of REBELS when she sensed him flying the TIE Fighter that was attacking the Rebel fleet.  Ahsoka faced Vader on Malachor and nearly died in the process, but did not get closure.  And that closure was something that she needed.  She was just as blocked as Sabine because of her regrets over her past with Anakin - the destruction, abandoning him, and his fall.  Baylan spelled that all out and used her guilt over her ties to Anakin against her.  Ahsoka even delved into the dark side during that duel when she used the Force against Shin.  Ahsoka needed to redeem Anakin as well herself from the legacy of the destruction that the Clone Wars caused.  Her encounter with Anakin's Force spirit in the WBW was that transitional moment for her.  And now I know why Filoni held back Ahsoka's new all white look until after this encounter.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 10:15 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2023, 10:48 AM »
Those Clone Wars scenes were pretty sweet.  I was hoping for an interaction with Captain Rex, but even though we didn't get it the battle scenes were pretty sweet.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2023, 10:51 AM »
I just saw those scenes and thought Hasbro can rehash those figures with an "Ahsoka" card now.  It's not a complaint, either.  It was cool to see a live-action Clone Wars Anakin and young Ahsoka. 

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2023, 11:41 AM »
I don't know if it's head canon or head up their ass. People should accept these different series all have varying styles and they might not like everyone. Say their piece and give everyone else some peace and not clutter up the internet with their excessive kvetching. (Looking at you youtubers and your click rage content.)

I wasn't a fan of the WBW, and I had to brace myself for its use in the show. Maybe i'm just becoming a softie  :P but last night's episode worked for me. I liked it.

Live-action Snips has some moves. Was that the actress, a stunt double, or CGI? Those were some nice acrobatics and the light saber motion was fluid. Definitely would like her as an action figure. According to the 'net, Greenblatt is about 5'2", so i'm not sure plopping a new head on the older figure would work. (But mainly those torso and shoulders on the fig look off to begin with.)