Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 50820 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2016, 10:49 PM »

Central Division dogfight again this year.  So many good teams, so many teams on the up and coming... and then my squad still trying to figure out which they are and hoping they are not the one falling to earth to make room for the "young and hungry" Jets or "glad to be rid of Roy" Avs.  :-\

Don't think you have to worry about us just yet.  Way too many rookies on the team, two young goalies (though definite improvement over Pavelec even with growing pains).  Nice that management finally figured out Pavelec isn't it, just a couple years after everyone else in the league. 

But so, so young. 
Laine - rookie - will have growing pains for sure.
Connor - impressed in preseason  more than Laine but a whopping 19 years old.  Dylan Larkin 2.0?
Morrissey - about time really, two years in the A, hoping that seasoning makes him like another guy with his size and time horizon, plays for Chicago, name like Keith. 
Ehlers - sophomore season but should be ok

Defense will be sketchy.  Buff entertains me so but that contract worries me.  Enstrom is old.  Trouba is a douche.  Yikes. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2016, 07:07 AM »
Not a bad way to start your career Auston Matthews

(The loss and the OT winner being his guy aside)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 10:09 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2016, 02:22 PM »
Had to chuckle at Patrik Laine's response to the question posed to him before the first Jets game:  Following Matthews four point night Laine was asked if he needed to score five?  His response:  No, just two points for the win would be fine.   ;D

Battle in Minnesota tonight.  After our coach seemingly had his brain cap screwed on tight and put Thorburn and Stuart in the press box for the home opener, he's bringing them out to play in Minnesota tonight.  I predict the Wild win 5-2.   ::)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2016, 03:16 PM »
Battle in Minnesota tonight.  After our coach seemingly had his brain cap screwed on tight and put Thorburn and Stuart in the press box for the home opener, he's bringing them out to play in Minnesota tonight.  I predict the Wild win 5-2.   ::)

Hope so, 'cuz I'll be there tonight to see it!  :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2016, 10:17 PM »
Congrats to the Wild, still ugly but effective hockey.  Should have been far, far more lopsided.  Sadly I fear we will again draft in the 5-10 range so maybe win another lottery pick.   :-\  Knew we'd be bad as we're so young, but our vets hurt us today. 

Two solid games by Morrissey to help offset Trouba's antics, but we're woeful in the D department for what's in the pipeline.  Morrissey and Trouba should have had us set for years based on their respective ages but now we're half of that and there's no guarantee Morrissey will be a true #1 LHD.  Same could be said for Trouba I suppose though clearly he feels differently.  Did I call him a douche? 

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2017, 10:27 PM »
Once again Ovechkin and the Caps choke in the playoffs.

Makes sense I'm an Ovechkin fan as they suck in the playoffs just like all the Minnesota teams I root for
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2017, 01:11 AM »
All four teams I was rooting for in the quarterfinals are done.  Glad I'm not a betting man.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2017, 06:54 AM »

Makes sense I'm an Ovechkin fan as they suck in the playoffs just like all the Minnesota teams I root for

I have to wonder how well they would do in the regular season if the schedule was like baseball.  The Caps regularly go on 7-3 or 8-2 runs.  In the playoffs, they can't put together 4 wins in 7 games when they play the same team.  They always lose game 7, even at home, and sometimes against 8 seeds.  If they play a three game series in Pittsburgh, then a three game series against the Rangers and then a four game series at home against the Bruins, would they still be 7-3 or 8-2 over the ten games or would they only win 3 or 4?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2017, 10:25 AM »

Going to be very interesting to see what happens there.  Chance after chance at building a winner and nothing.  Now like half the team has expiring contracts and there is no way they are keeping them all...  really makes you wonder what would happen if they did try to deal Ovi like some of the talking heads are rumoring.  I wonder what they could get for him and if that would be a help or a hurt in the long run?

All four teams I was rooting for in the quarterfinals are done.  Glad I'm not a betting man.

The only team I was actively rooting for was the Preds because of vengeance.   >:D

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2017, 04:48 PM »
Ovi gotta go. As good as he is, he has never been the kind of superstar that elevates the play of those around him. It's not like they have to worry about a vacuum of leadership in the locker room if they unload him. Other guys can score goals.

And Holtby should be on the next plane after that. tired of that guy getting a free pass from the local press.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2017, 02:04 PM »
Go Preds!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2017, 11:12 PM »
Pittsburgh can't possibly keep both Fleury and Murray next year, can they?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2017, 09:42 AM »
Pittsburgh can't possibly keep both Fleury and Murray next year, can they?

Not without giving up something substantial to Vegas since they can only protect one goalie from expansion draft.

It'll be interesting to see if Vegas takes Fleury, if they keep him or flip him to someone else in need of a goalie.

Next week or so is going to be a crazy ride as guys are traded to avoid losing them to Vegas for nothing and then watching what Vegas does - picking guys for themselves, getting draft picks to NOT pick certain players, getting draft picks to ensure they DO pick certain players from teams, picking players only to flip them to other teams, etc.

Going to be a crazy few weeks leading up to the draft...  will also be interesting to see who teams choose to protect or expose on their expansion lists.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2017, 06:53 PM »
Fleury waived his no trade to go to VGKs and by all accounts locally it was not blind and talking has been done.  Bummer.  Half the cup is his, and they don't get out of early rounds without him.  He's beloved here and with Jagr and Francis the only guys I'd retire numbers for right now.

Awesome time watching Sid & Co. solidify legacies.  Toughest team we've put together ever I think.  I didn't think chances were good without Letang till we got past Caps. Glad I was wrong.  Go Pens!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2018, 12:12 PM »
congrats bug