Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 50822 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2016, 12:09 PM »
Really dislike the Western Conference games starting "late" and then going into double overtime only for the team to lose and going to bed @1:30.  Fun times.

No doubt.  This staying up until 8:30 game for Central Division games blows.  I know they are trying to maximize their coverage with two early games and two late games, it just sucks for us in the middle. 

Not sure how the NHL thinks it's helping build their fan base when kids can't stay up to watch an 830pm game on a school night...  ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2016, 12:11 AM »
I'm just going to copy Jeff's list with Tampa over the Red Wings though.

Very brave of you to make that pick with Tampa up 3-1 in the series, Steve.   :P

My Detroit pick was totally selfish - I wanted to see Detroit advance only because I didn't want to admit that this might be the last Datsyuk-hockey we get. :(

That's why my first pick in our Jets season ticket draft was the Wings.  Got to see Datsyuk play live at least once.   :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2016, 12:56 AM »
Here we go...

Stars in 5  :'(

Got the # of games wrong; really, really hoping that I got the series winner wrong too.  :-X

Got my tickets to MIN/DAL game 6 on Sunday!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2016, 01:33 PM »
Nice win for the Wild.  I know I picked Dallas too, but hope I'm wrong.  Same about the Pens, but I think the Rangers' management is giving all of Lundquist's support away to their opponents (Cally to the Bolts, Hags to the Pens).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2016, 05:25 PM »
We got Haggelin from Anaheim for a half eaten Cheeseburger and a widget.  We got Trevor Daley from Chicago for even less, Rob Scuderi.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2016, 05:44 PM »
We got Haggelin from Anaheim for a half eaten Cheeseburger and a widget.  We got Trevor Daley from Chicago for even less, Rob Scuderi.

They just mentioned the Hags trade on TV to the Ducks...but,yeah Rangers are handing out their best players to whoever wants them for players who refuse to score during the playoffs.  ;D :'(  and now the Pens are having their way with them.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2016, 06:21 PM »
Hags was eating it in Anaheim and Daley in Chicago, Schultz in Edmonton...  They were perfect fits once Sullivan established a real plan for the Pens.  It's been a fun and fast transition to watch here.  He'll they're scratching Schultz and only because of space.  He'd slot right in if needs be.  Was a force down the stretch. 

Hell, even Kwssel was a throw away from Toronto though he cost us.  But hey, he's been doing it once the team found its new identity.  He fits that.  He's been a PP goal machine and what Toronto folk were all saying he couldn't do because he's fat and lazy.  Didn't look it to me.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2016, 06:13 PM »
Man! A millimeter shy of taking it to OT, Jeff.  That's a tough one to lose there.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2016, 10:46 PM »
Man! A millimeter shy of taking it to OT, Jeff.  That's a tough one to lose there.

Yeah... but in all honesty, they lost it with the ****** 1st and 2nd periods not the almost goal at the end.  It was amazing the comeback they tried to make and a bit sucky that Dalls' flukey 5th goal ended up being the winner but really glad it didn't end with the 4-0 score at the end of the 2nd.

That third period was hella fun to watch and a much better way to leave a season than the previously mentioned first two periods.  It some ways the game was a nice microcosm of the up-and-down play the whole year.  :-\

Will be interesting off-season for sure.  New coach probably, new asst coaches, maybe a few new faces as they finally give up on a few of "the kids" and try to rebuild continue to compete in the Central.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2016, 11:02 PM »
The kids? 

Forgive me, but my perception is that Minnesota kind of went all in with the signings of recent years - Parise/Vanek/Suter - so I tend to think of Minnesota as more of a win-it-now kind of grouping that seems to have failed.  Some good youth but hardly a young team. 

Wish we'd get a new coach/asst coaches after that gong show of a season with the abysmal power play and PK.  Ugh.  We definitely went youth movement but wouldn't it be nice to get some decent coaching? 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2016, 11:54 PM »
I tend to think of Minnesota as more of a win-it-now kind of grouping that seems to have failed.  Some good youth but hardly a young team. 

Yeah, that's the same thing I said, I'm just pinning the "failed" part on "the kids" who as you point out aren't hardly kids anymore.  :-\

Parise and Suter signed to be closer to home... but at the time much was made of "the kids" in the system and how we were so up and coming that within a year or two, we'd be legit.  We heard a LOT about "the kids" - Granlund, Coyle, Nino, Dumba, Kuemper, etc.

Within the first year or two of Parise/Suter, they made the Pominville/Vanek trade/signings pretty much because "the kids" weren't stepping up.  No one grabbed those top-6 spots and said, MINE! So, they grabbed Vanek/Pommer as a band-aid... but don't worry "the kids" would still develop and fill out our roster nicely.  Then last year came the trade for Dubnyk because "the kids" (Kuemper esp.) were not living up to what they hoped.

This year was really go-or-no-go time for "the kids"to finally take the next step.  While they have all turned into serviceable NHLers, none has jumped up and turned into the stars they were hoping/selling them to be (I'd put Brodin as the lone exception).  Granlund's not a legit #1 center (at least not against what we face in the Central).  Coyle and Nino are nice 20-25 goal scoring parts, but neither is on track for a reliable role on this team.  Zucker, Dumba, Scandella all took big steps backwards.

I have no idea if the kids didn't develop the way they thought or if they hit exactly what they were going to be and it was the staff who just overhyped them as being more than they were ever going to be? That part is what makes our owner's vote of confidence in GM Fletcher so odd as he's the guy who put all his eggs in these kids baskets and big money to Heatley, Vanek, etc who haven't panned out.

But yea, with Parise, Suter, Koivu, Dubnyk we're still in win-now mode (or else we're screwed).  It's a big ask to swap out the Zucker, Haula, Dumba type parts and hope for something better, but that's really all we've got until we blow it all up in a few years if it continues not to work.   :-\

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2016, 11:10 AM »
Stars in 5  :'(
Blues in 7
Ducks in 5
Sharks in 7

Panthers in 6
Red Wings in 7
Caps in 7
Penguins in 6

So, only hit .500 out East, but looking good in the West - 3-for-3 so far.

Round 2 -

Lightning in 7
Penguins in 6

Blues in 7
SJS in 6

(I'll update my post tomorrow once ANA/NSH is decided ;))

edit: finally got around to updating my SJvs ANA/NSH pick.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:21 PM by Jeff »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2016, 04:24 PM »
Hmm.. 

Bruce Boudreau = 1-7 in game 7s.
MN Wild = 3-0 in game 7s.

Will be interesting to see if BB ends up in Ottawa or here...  or if someone else fires their guy to jump into the fray (COL, CGY?).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 1, 2016, 11:05 PM »
 ;D

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #59 on: May 1, 2016, 11:34 PM »
I am assuming that is a Patrik Laine related smiley?  He will look really good on Scheifele's wing...   :(

How soon before you guys start the Teemu2.0 stuff with him?  :P