Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 50819 times)

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2016, 07:43 AM »
Thank you.  Seeing 4 Stanley Cups in my lifetime is pretty nice. :)
It's like you're a Patriots fan.  :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2016, 08:59 PM »
Well to be fair I've also seen 4 Steelers Super Bowls and 2 wins too. :). Very aware it's a spoiled city for sports.  Just wanted to see Sid & Co get a 2nd before things get blown up.  Plus Duper is around if only off the ice. 

Any others opponent and I'd probably pulled for the Sharks. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2016, 06:30 PM »
************.  Hawks trade Teravainen and Bickell to NC for 2nd and 3rd round draft picks.

Love getting Bickell's money off the books, hate that they had to include Teravainen to do it.

Also, - congrats again to Jesse. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2016, 10:07 PM »
************.  Hawks trade Teravainen and Bickell to NC for 2nd and 3rd round draft picks.

Love getting Bickell's money off the books, hate that they had to include Teravainen to do it.

Also, - congrats again to Jesse.

I love the Hawks, but as long as you have Kane and Toews on those contracts you're going to see that happen every year.  Up against the cap as defined by Chicago.  Horrible Canadian dollar is really messing with a lot of teams right now.   :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2016, 10:02 AM »

I love the Hawks, but as long as you have Kane and Toews on those contracts you're going to see that happen every year. 

Yeah, keeping Teravainen probably costs you both Shaw this year and Panarin next. Like Brent said, the price of doing business these days. 

At least you have a GM that can keep finding Saads, Panarins, Teravainen, and Shaws with those late 1st, early 2nd picks.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2016, 11:30 PM »
Chuckle.  Our young first rounder landed in Winnipeg.  Being a Twins fan I thought I'd post this pick:

He can share my baseball misery while lifting up my hockey team. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2016, 04:15 PM »
NHL is going crazy nuts.  I think someone hacked all the NHL teams today - EDM sends Hall to NJD for Larsson; MON sends PK to NSH for Weber; Stamkos stays in TB days ahead of free agency (sounds like 8 yrs @ 8.5 AAV). 

EDM/NJD - crazy to think we can't get EDM to bite on Brodin or Dumba plus parts for RNH, but somehow they trade Hall for Larsson?!?  Gotta mean they are confident Lucic is signing there to take Hall's LW spot.  Maybe they still move RNH, but man - seems like a lopsided deal so far.

MON/NSH - PK Subban is awesome and MON is stupid for trading him.  I would take that trade all day long. 

And Stamkos must have finally figured out how much money he saves in taxes by staying in Florida. :P  Nice win for Stevie Y if they were able to get things all patched up there,  Hope it works out for Stamkos (and maybe opens the door for the Bolts to explore trading Drouin again?).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2016, 10:22 PM »
That was kind of a crazy half hour as it all seemed to steamroll out.

Edmonton got hosed.  That's just a bizarre deal.  I suppose Larsson could top out higher but he's been in the league for a while and I don't think of Edmonton as a place where young talent blossoms.  It goes there to fester is more like it.  Giving up Hall makes sense if they are signing Lucic but I think the return for what is arguably a top 5 if not top 3 LW in the league (and young) should have been a much better defender.  I also really wonder how Edmonton is going to manage the cap.  Yeah, moving Hall out frees up six million but you have to think Lucic gets at least that and Larsson is signed for four more years at $4+.  I know they suggest they're moving Eberle and RNH but I don't think there are many teams in a flat cap era that want Eberle at all.  He'd be the second highest paid Jet and likely slot on our third line with everyone healthy.  He's more like a $4 million kind of guy.  RNH is better value and I could see teams take him on even at $6 but I think any return the Oilers would get would be less.  Then they have Draisaitl, arguably their #2 center going forward, coming off his ELC next year and McDavid the year after.  McDavid is going to get Stamkos/Crosby/Toews money and suddenly Edmonton is stuck in cap hell.  They should have got something like Subban for Hall. 

Speaking of Subban, that was a weird ass trade.  Certainly if only due to age Nashville got the far better player.  There are a lot of rumblings out of Montreal though about Subban's behavior in the locker room.  Who knows what is or isn't true and we'll see in time in Nashville if those play out similarly.  He certainly puts on a fabulous outward display of behavior given his charitable donations, etc.  Nashville definitely got much better.  Stoopid Central division.

The Stamkos deal makes me smile.  Not sure if anyone else ever ventures over to the Hockey Futures board but the Toronto contingent is massive and utterly delusional.  Seeing Stamkos stay in Tampa is such a slap in the face to the Leafs who seemed so certain to sign him.  On the plus side for the Leafs I really believe that's the best possible thing to happen to them.  Otherwise they'd have tried to short-cut their rebuild which wouldn't be smart given how methodically they tore the team down.  A little more patience and then some smart moves building in character veterans who can play (not Jets-style character veterans who can't play - Stuart/Thorburn) and their future is bright.  They have some excellent prospects though probably not quite as excellent as they'll tell you (not talking Matthews I believe he's a legit future #1 C). 

On Tampa though I think they're headed towards Hawk-style cap hell.  They simply can't afford to retain all their players under the cap.  Way too many good players that will be getting better salaries coming out of their ELCs.  Palat, Johnson, Drouin, Bishop, Kucherov.  Not all are due this year but in the next year or two a lot of guys are going to be looking to be paid and I think you start to see Chicago-style dumping of excellent players going on.  Hedman is due up soon I believe, but a year or two down the road.  That's kind of crazy.  Some guys are going to have to go and I don't think anyone aside from Stamkos (and probably Hedman) is guaranteed to stay.  Bishop will likely end up out, but a couple of skaters too. 

We aren't nearly as good as Tampa but we may run into similar issues as well.  Scheifele and Trouba up this year and reasonably speaking Scheifele should get Barkov money ($6+) and Trouba's comparables are around $4.5-6.  Ehlers, Connor and Laine will all be due in the next three years and if they meet their expectations they won't be any cheaper than Scheifele.  Plus Wheeler and Little will be due new contracts around the same time. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #98 on: July 1, 2016, 09:40 AM »
On Tampa though I think they're headed towards Hawk-style cap hell.  They simply can't afford to retain all their players under the cap.  Way too many good players that will be getting better salaries coming out of their ELCs.  Palat, Johnson, Drouin, Bishop, Kucherov.  Not all are due this year but in the next year or two a lot of guys are going to be looking to be paid and I think you start to see Chicago-style dumping of excellent players going on.  Hedman is due up soon I believe, but a year or two down the road.  That's kind of crazy.  Some guys are going to have to go and I don't think anyone aside from Stamkos (and probably Hedman) is guaranteed to stay.  Bishop will likely end up out, but a couple of skaters too. 

This is where we see how mych Stevie Y learned from the Bowmans and Holland over the years.  Yzerman already won a GM of the year award and he held firm on both Drouin and Stamkos and got wins.

Getting Stamkos to agree to 8.5 AAV in Florida (where other teams would have had to go as much as $10m AAV to get the same cash thanks to tax breaks) was a big win.  If Yzerman can keep selling the "tax free" discount angle to get some of those guys to take less, he'll be better off.

But you're right - can't see them keeping everyone.  Maybe they do end up trading Drouin or Johnson to make some cap room... even Bishop could go if they have to make room.

We aren't nearly as good as Tampa but we may run into similar issues as well. 

You and everyone else if you guys can't get that Loonie turned around. :P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #99 on: July 1, 2016, 01:32 PM »
Staal, Stalock, Stewart so far for my club. 

I guess the Wild only had time to study the "St" portion of the Free Agent handbook. :P

Hedman is due up soon I believe, but a year or two down the road.

Sounds like he's signed an extension today = 8yr, $7.875M AAV.   :o

edit:
And now it sounds like Andrei Vasilevskiy is extending too - 3yrs @ $3.5M AAV.  So now is it even more likely Bishop ends up being the part that's moved to make room for Palat, Johnson, Drouin, & Kucherov?
« Last Edit: July 1, 2016, 02:36 PM by Jeff »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 2, 2016, 12:05 AM »
I don't think that Tampa can keep them all.  I kind of wonder if Stamkos isn't a little ticked at what Hedman got?  That must make him in the top five D salaries.   :o  indeed. 

Like Stalock, good pickup.  Not so sure about Staal.  I'll go back to my point about the Wild being a little up there in years.  Which Stewart?  Hopefully you somehow grabbed ours, he's awful (I know not our guy). 

Edmonton got Lucic for same money as Hall was making and longer term.  Not sure how old he is but not sure he's going to be worth that money in eight years.  I think in some respects swapping out Hall for Lucic should make them a better team but they remain what they've been for the last five years - weak defensively. Guess we'll wait and see if Eberle/RNH can do anything to shore up that back end. 

Canadian dollar will be fine once prime minister selfie legalizes pot.  We'll all be stoned beyond belief but the tax revenue should be grand.  I'll feel bad for all the dimwits that try to cross the border with it in hand though.  Gonna suck being arrested at the border for possession.   

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #101 on: July 2, 2016, 08:40 PM »
I wonder if Stamkos didn't give a discount to keep Hedman happy?  Not unprecedented, especially by guys who see a Cup as a likely shot. 

In other news Beau Bennet blocked me on twitter at some pojnt and I had to LoL at that.  I'm sure I made an injury joke...  I actually liked him, but I still have some pride in apparently annoying an NHL player.  I dunno that he'll flourish in NJ, but good luck to him.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #102 on: July 7, 2016, 08:10 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbpNdTNQoBM#action=share

Man this sorta punches ya in the gut, at least if you're a Pens fan...  Just, ouch.

Duper's beloved in this city.  I mean, people just loved the guy, his personality on and off the ice, his family, his charitable nature, even his between periods messin' around with the TV guys.

And I know it's nowhere near the same thing so don't get me wrong about this, but I had to quit playing because my health wasn't keeping up with it, and I remember the last season I tried and how it hurt just too much at that point, and how I quit when the season was over, and all the seasons after I wished I could go do it again but I know I can't keep up, and I can't manage it, and it upset me a lot...  I was young too, in my earlier 20's.  And that's just me, some guy who was playing in adult leagues hoping he could keep on going enjoying actually playing the game in some way, just for myself because I knew I wasn't any good at it, but I had fun and it gave me something I didn't have in life growing up. 

For Duper it was life/death, family, and an amazing career in the NHL... That's just painful to listen to.  :(

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2016, 12:34 PM »
We stand on the cusp of a new season.....  and I gotta tell you, I'm a bit worried for my squad.

Will the maigc of Bruce Boudreau help us make the playoffs?
Will the Avs finally get a clue with their new coach?
Have the Jets finally figured out Pavelec is bad (put him on waivers today)?
Will STL implode or finally live up to the hype?

Central Division dogfight again this year.  So many good teams, so many teams on the up and coming... and then my squad still trying to figure out which they are and hoping they are not the one falling to earth to make room for the "young and hungry" Jets or "glad to be rid of Roy" Avs.  :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2016, 09:51 PM »
Yeah I'm amped.  Pens coming off their cup win, team stayed largely intact, Crosby is firing on all cylinders and health..... AAAWWW FFFFFUUUUU!!!!