Author Topic: Articulation Addition Addiction  (Read 27925 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Articulation Addition Addiction
« on: August 7, 2019, 10:47 PM »
I’ve been fiddling around articulating underarticulated figures lately. 

I cleaned my work bench off to do something and wound up getting distracted with this, which I’ve had in the works but didn’t act on.  First was a 5poa First Order Trooper as kind of a proof of concept test figure.  I figured if I butchered him then no real loss. 

Next was a little bit of a detour to 1999.  I always liked the sandtrooper from potj and his subsequent clean rereleases.  Plus he’s the only way to get a set of macro binocs!  But it always felt a waste to buy a figure for an accessory...  now the figure is usable to me and he turned out quite well except for a hole in his forearm I had to fill (overzealous drilling combined with a kind of thin forearm).

Next up was a Rogue One Tanker...  I love these guys and wanted the cheapies to be usable.  I took a little detour with him to give him a removable helmet feature too.  Again super thin forearms make this tough but it worked.  It was def harder than the other two were.  Turns out I don’t have pics of him yet.  Guess I forgot. 🤷‍♂️  EDIT: Okay now I have em and added em.

Tanker turned out ok but the oddly colored pants and the fact they are painted and not cast in color, makes for some color issues.  I may repaint the joint but I’m more concerned with the white ring the pants leave once cut and hollowed out.  He’s definitely needing some polish work.

Next up will be a landing crewman because they are a cool new design that just needs beefed up to be poseable.  I suspect trouble on this one due to the thin frame of the limbs, but we shall see.

I got distracted with some car work and a major garage cleaning and tool move this week but I’ll get back to the customs bench eventually.  Still have some work to get done first though.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:17 AM by Jeff »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Articulation Addition Addiction
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 01:36 AM »
Couple more...  Imperial Landing Crew and Director Krennic... who was kind of a dick.

Neither was as smooth as the Stormtrooper.  The arms on Krennic are sort of thinner than I had expected, and the Landing Crew is a particularly thin limbed character.  Both turned out ok though.  Another challenge on the Landing Crew was the knee pads and retaining those over the ball joints.

Maintaining control of the dremel is difficult on a good day.  This kind of stuff without a flexshaft attachment is just that much harder, if not impossible.  As it was I lose control and have some clean up to do if I nick the part I’m working on where I don’t want to cut. 🙄  A good desk and lighting are the next keys.  That or my eyes are getting worse than I imagined haha.  I’ve loved the 36LED clip on lamp I got cheap a few years back though.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:22 AM by Jeff »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 01:45 AM »
Here's Krennic...  I know, images big, but this is hosted off my twitter feed, so it's just the easy way for me to post this haha.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:22 AM by Jeff »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Man, Krennic looks 100 times better with elbows. Wish he'd get the TVC treatment as I don't have time to add SA a la Jesse style.

I know, images big, but this is hosted off my twitter feed, so it's just the easy way for me to post this haha.

Public service announcement - You can use width=xxx to resize images on the JD forums.  :-*

Example:
Code: [Select]
[img width=600][/img]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:21 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 04:12 PM »
No way?  I obviously had no idea we could do that.

Once again I’m techno-dumb, but thanks Jeff. 

The joints are noticeable obviously so it’s not gonna be for everyone but the articulation helps me sleep better at night anyway.  No more tossing and turning over nightmares that a 5poa is on my shelf mocking me. 😒

Krennic’s knees you can barely see, but the elbows are more obvious.  I couldn’t recess them as much as I’d have liked and the next size down ball joint is significantly smaller and more fragile.