Author Topic: 2021 Kenner Retro Collection - The Mandalorian  (Read 10006 times)

Online Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: Kenner Retro Collection - The Mandalorian
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2021, 02:00 PM »
I couldn't find any mention of it, so I'm assuming these are going to be available from all retailers, right?

I'm like Nick on these, I'll likely buy both versions, but honestly would just like TVC figures of everything with Retro sprinkled in here and there as a novelty and would prefer its not a core line.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 02:01 PM by Dave »

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2021, 02:08 PM »
Releasing retro collection figures of characters like the Re-armored Boba Fett before a TVC version is a reminder of the old Hasbro double dip.  For years they would string collectors along by making figures of a character that were kind of inferior.  Over time they would gradually improve the releases, but not before they got you to buy 3 or 4 sub-par versions of that character.  Look at the Saga line from 2002 - 2004 with some core characters - the initial ones were garbage, and they slowly got better.  And that seemed to be by design in order to get you to buy the next, better version of Obi-Wan Kenobi or Anakin Skywalker.  Hasbro already did this with Kuiil and IG-11 in the Retro Collection - Retro came first, but then WAIT, check out these TVC versions!  And now they're doing it with The Mandalorian versions of Boba Fett and Ahsoka - arguably two of the most popular characters in the franchise.  I'm not biting.

Agree 100%  They know very well what they are doing putting TM Boba and Ahsoka in here before they get TVC.

I hate to be so cynical about this.  But Hasbro is so obviously trying to cash in by preying on collector FOMO.

I put that way more on us as collectors than Hasbro
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2021, 06:43 PM »
I will definitely get these for the fun of them, where I usually only get the new TVC stuff to coordinate with and advertise for my business stuff. TVC does not have the magic for me any more. But these do.

I only wish they did a Dark Trooper instead of the Death Trooper or Armorer, neither of whom fit the second season theme of the wave.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2021, 10:22 AM »
These look cool, and I’ll pick them up.  Is it wrong that I actually prefer these to the regular retro collection figures?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2021, 01:14 PM »
All are up for pre-order at Target and Amazon. 

Target is letting you apply the $10 off a $50 purchase coupon too.

I just realized these are due for delivery in August, so basically 10 months out.  I wonder if Hasbro is getting smarter about their pre-orders where they'll make enough to go around, or if this is just a reality of delayed manufacturing and shipping.

It looks like EE has these up too (Jeff can add the affiliate link).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 02:05 PM by Dave »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2021, 06:05 PM »
I totally spaced on the preorder window.  I was able to order them just now at Pulse… so I’ll be looking forward to getting them three months after everyone else.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2021, 06:09 PM »
Me too. Set my phone to alarm 5 min before the scheduled release time. When the ringer did go off, I was too pre-occupied with a work call and blanked on why I set the reminder.  :P

I remembered a couple of hours later and also got them on HasbroPulse.

I'm digging these retro Mando figs. Hope there's more on the way from the upcoming live series.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2021, 07:14 PM »
These look cool, and I’ll pick them up.  Is it wrong that I actually prefer these to the regular retro collection figures?

Not at all. I am right there with you. Never before made Kenner style figures are so much easier to get excited about than modern resculpts aiming to faithfully replicate figures that have been available for 40 years.

I mean if that first wave had been Luke and Leia in Yavin outfits, Han and Chewie with medals, removable helmet Vader and Stormtrooper Han I would have been over the moon! As it is, they were kind of headscratchers to me.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2021, 08:22 PM »
It’s all meh to me.  I kinda like retro but I didn’t want this much and then to divert to too obscure.  I liked seeing some unmade OT stuff, some mains from these new or older things like the PT maybe… not a lot, just some.  They’re seemingly ready to milk this hard though.  I prefer good figures to this stuff but I liked the idea of this as a smaller line… I feel it won’t be remaining a smaller line going forward.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2021, 12:58 PM »
It’s all meh to me.  I kinda like retro but I didn’t want this much and then to divert to too obscure.  I liked seeing some unmade OT stuff, some mains from these new or older things like the PT maybe… not a lot, just some.  They’re seemingly ready to milk this hard though.  I prefer good figures to this stuff but I liked the idea of this as a smaller line… I feel it won’t be remaining a smaller line going forward.

Yeah I'm with you. I don't inherently dislike it, but I do worry that they'll just go balls out with it, and it sucks seeing characters I really want in TVC showing up here first. If they do the Tonnika sisters here first, I'll go 1000% ape****.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2021, 09:34 AM »
I love the vintage style of these and would buy them all regardless of what order they came out in.  I'm just happy they're going slow with the retro stuff - its hard enough to keep up with TVC and Black Series these days.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2021, 01:13 PM »
The new wave is up on Amazon now for anyone hoping to find faster delivery than Pulse.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2021, 09:56 AM »
Entertainment Earth dinged my card today...the only thing I have on preorder from them is the Mandalorian Retro wave 2 case. Hmmm....off to investigate!

Never mind, somehow I had ordered the Bo Katan case back in May and forgot about it. When I just tried to cancel, they said the case shipped this morning.

No Retros yet...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 10:10 AM by Muftak »

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2022, 10:39 AM »
Target is starting to ship Mando wave 2. I got a notice for Beskar Mando due to arrive by end of week with the rest coming by end of next week.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2022, 10:54 PM »
I saw Retro Ahsoka and the Armorer at Target yesterday, so they are getting out there yeah.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy