Author Topic: 2021 HasLab - Black Series Rancor  (Read 14598 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2021 HasLab Black Series Rancor
« Reply #240 on: December 7, 2021, 11:40 AM »
HasbroPulse Tweet:

"The STAR WARS The Black Series Rancor HasLab didn't reach its minimum backing goal. We thank the fans who showed their support & backed this project, and those who shared their passion throughout the campaign. We look forward to bringing you more dream concepts in the future."
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 7, 2021, 11:45 AM »
None of these ever mentioned that the crew on the original Star Wars film referred to the Tonnika sisters as "Star Whores" on set, and the fact that this information was published in a now archived article on the official Star Wars website. 

I loved that cantina article - so many great mug shots in there...

Same here!  Some of the backstory was fantastic.  But the way the Official Site got scrubbed of so many articles and reference info was such a head scratcher.  I guess it might have happened around the time of the sale to Disney.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 7, 2021, 11:52 AM »
Looks like the Skystriker is picking up pace, though. 8,796/10,000 at the moment.
Perhaps now that the Rancor is dead, people are moving to that? 

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 7, 2021, 12:09 PM »
I've been wondering how former Rancor backers might impact the remining projects. In the 12 hours since the Rancor was crushed the Skystriker picked up 1000 backers and the Proton Pack picked up around 150.
Macklunkey!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 7, 2021, 12:12 PM »
1,200 backers in 12 hours seems more attainable than the uphill battle the Rancor was facing.  And the lower pricepoint helps, too.

I had concerns that maybe Hasbro was splitting some of the potential audience between the Rancor and the Skystriker.  I remember those last couple of years of the Kenner Star Wars line when GI Joe gradually took over space in the action figure aisle that Star Wars used to dominate.  A lot of Star Wars fans migrated over to GI Joe in those early days, and the Skystriker was one of the first big items in the ARAH line.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 7, 2021, 12:50 PM »
The cynical side of me wonders what the true numbers were for The Rancor and if some of the numbers were artificially pumped up to save face. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #246 on: December 7, 2021, 02:18 PM »
8 - POOR MARKETING  Hasbro had plenty of opportunities to promote this campaign, but their efforts fell flat.  They seemed uninspired and that no doubt affected fans

Hasbro GI Joe team really driving this point home...   Final HasLab Campaign day:

- The Rancor/Star Wars team = nothing

- Skystriker/GI Joe team - first they drop a fun new video on social channels featuring the Skystriker ejection seat parachutes, then they announce an instagram live event with Emily and Lenny at 2pm ET.

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 7, 2021, 02:33 PM »
8 - POOR MARKETING  Hasbro had plenty of opportunities to promote this campaign, but their efforts fell flat.  They seemed uninspired and that no doubt affected fans

Hasbro GI Joe team really driving this point home...   Final HasLab Campaign day:

- The Rancor/Star Wars team = nothing

- Skystriker/GI Joe team - first they drop a fun new video on social channels featuring the Skystriker ejection seat parachutes, then they announce an instagram live event with Emily and Lenny at 2pm ET.

Yeah, they probably knew the Rancor was doomed though.
Macklunkey!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 7, 2021, 03:04 PM »
Well then they were wrong.  Despite the **** show, it finished like 500 short!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #249 on: December 7, 2021, 03:28 PM »
The Skystriker is over the line and will be going into production.

Is the Rancor's loss the Skystriker's gain?

Does 3.75" scale work better for Haslab items?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #250 on: December 7, 2021, 03:48 PM »

Marvel Legends HasLab Sentinel - 21.8k backers / 6k goal

Marvel Legends HasLab Galactus - 31.5k backers /14k goal

I don't think it's 6" scale's fault... People saw value in the $350 Sentinel offering and the $400 Galactus offering but just didn't see it in the $350 Rancor.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 7, 2021, 04:12 PM »
Good point Jeff.  You might be right, but can we really compare Marvel to Star Wars?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 7, 2021, 05:01 PM »

I don't think it is the scale at all and frankly find comments about it a little ignorant.  Not directed at you, but I'm so over this argument.  I have seen lots of comments about scale the past few weeks because the TVC guys feel like Black Series is somehow hurting the potential for more/better TVC product. I don't think the failure had anything to do with this being Black Series and everything to do with marketing and perceived value.

Think about the Skystriker offering compared to the Rancor for a minute:
  • Vehicle with tons of accessories at the base level vs. Rancor Bones as a backer limit incentive
  • initially offered 2 carded figures in the base offering, none for the Rancor
  • "Whoopsie Plus up" of 3 additional carded Cobra figures include a rare fan favorite of Cobra Commander compared to a hastily added, uncarded Rancor Keeper
  • Incentives for 4 more carded Joe figures (so a total of up to 9 figures!?) vs. 2.5 carded repack figures for the Rancor
  • Sticker sheets for a Joe version or Hijacked Cobra version or a standard F-14 version and a potential army builder vehicle anyway to incent multiple purchases.  Who needs more than one Rancor?
  • Fun marketing blitz with a Cobra Commander Video and other communications vs. lame last minute email "Last chance to get your Rancor"
  • And then there's the price: $229 for all that versus $350 for the Rancor.

That's not a scale issue, that's a value proposition issue.  I'm tempted to get a Skystriker just to make money off it.  If it gets to 9 exclusive figures, you could easily sell those for $25 a pop and getting $225 back is basically a free plane.  If the Rancor somehow fully funded all incentives, you could sell the figs for maybe $50 each?  So at best you get $200 and still pay $150 for the Rancor.  The value on these just isn't even close.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2021, 05:16 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 7, 2021, 05:26 PM »
I can only speak for myself but scale absolutely was a huge factor and why I didn't ever plan to back the Rancor and I love the BS line. So ignorant to say that's everyone's belief may be true but it at least cost then my SW money. I think it's a fair part of the argument
« Last Edit: December 7, 2021, 05:27 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 7, 2021, 05:47 PM »

I don't think it is the scale at all and frankly find comments about it a little ignorant.  Not directed at you, but I'm so over this argument. 

Don't worry, I'm not offended at all.  I'm just asking the question.  I also do not like the TVC purists that are upset that the Haslab project was for a Black Series item.  Hell, I don't even want Hasbro to do a Star Wars Haslab project every year....I'd prefer a little space in between them...at least let me get one in my collection before offering another!

Obviously 6" scaled items will sell.  Galactus and the Sentinel proved that, but Marvel is only in the 6" scale and is very popular with a huge fanbase (well deserved IMO).

Star Wars is a different animal because there are two distinct lines with 3.75" and 6" scales.  Star Wars has a large and passionate fan base as well, but not everyone collects both lines.  Personally, I have some 6" figures in my collection, but a vast majority of my collection is the 3.75" scale figures and vehicles which is the heritage line of Star Wars.

I wonder if that's why the Skystriker didn't cross the line until the last day.  GI Joe started at the 3.75" scale but has been primarily 6" scaled figures until recently.  I am curious to see if the GI Joe line will have similar issues down the road because they are making product for two different scales.  One thing they have going for them is a passionate marketing and creative team....something Star Wars needs desperately.
This is the way.

I have spoken.