Author Topic: Toys R Us (Or: Die, Dinosaur, Die!)  (Read 104907 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Toys R Us (Or: Die, Dinosaur, Die!)
« Reply #255 on: December 2, 2019, 04:24 PM »
So not much different from a typical Target aisle. Interesting
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 2, 2019, 06:06 PM »
So not much different from a typical Target aisle. Interesting

In terms of the inventory?  Yeah.

I actually went into the GameStop that's in this same mall (just a few minutes after visiting TRU) and was struck by just how much more Black Series stock GS had on hand compared to TRU, including exclusives and new figures like Jannah.  But GameStop hasn't exactly been a reliable destination for the Vintage Collection.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2019, 06:08 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 18, 2021, 10:31 AM »
So the two TRU locations that had been opened in late 2019 have closed.  One was located in Houston, TX and the other in Paramus, NJ.  The Paramus location being local to me, I went there a number of times.  In fact, it was the one location where I was able to find decent quantities of Vintage Collection figures at brick & mortar retail.  But opening retail stores a few months before a global pandemic begins is bad timing at best.  I could see the writing on the wall a couple of months ago when they were clearancing everything.  The staff in the store told me that they were selling off old inventory and new stock would be coming in soon.  Maybe they said that because I had my kid with me.  But that location is now closed.

In the words of C-3PO, here we go again:

Toys R Us has a new owner that’s planning to open stores again in the U.S.

-Brand management company WHP Global announced it has acquired a controlling interest in Tru Kids, the parent company of the Toys R Us and Babies R Us brands.
-Tru Kids bought the brands and intellectual property from Toys R Us after it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in September 2017.
-WHP plans to open a number of Toys R Us stores again in the U.S., ideally ahead of this holiday season.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #258 on: March 18, 2021, 11:26 AM »
Why they never tried to compete in the online market place will always be a head-scratcher.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 18, 2021, 04:59 PM »
Those two stores were doomed to failure because they were just designed as half assed showrooms rather than actual toy stores. I don’t need an “interactive consumer experience” I just want to see a butt load of all kinds of different toys on the shelves how it used to be.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 20, 2021, 09:59 AM »
Here's the latest take on things - TRU is coming back in 2022 in Macy's locations as a "store within a store".

Toys 'R' Us is back ... again

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 20, 2021, 10:18 AM »
Here's the latest take on things - TRU is coming back in 2022 in Macy's locations as a "store within a store".

Toys 'R' Us is back ... again

Yawn.  Where are they going to get the toys?  If Target and Wal-Mart can't get toys, then how is some multi-bankrupt entity going to get toys from Hasbro?  All cash up front I'm sure.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 22, 2021, 11:45 AM »
I did a little more reading on this.  The company that bought into TRU Kids has a controlling stake, and their guy is now the CEO of the company.  So there's been a distinct leadership change.

But the supply chain issues across a lot of retail are massive.  And maybe that's why they pushed the launch into 2022?

As for partnering with Macy's?  That chain seems to want a toy department during the holidays, but couldn't be bothered at other times.  Macy's has been closing stores.  And even if Macy's locations are mall anchor stores, the fact is that MALLS ARE DYING.  The only way I see this strategy really working is if they use it as a launching platform to reset the brand before seeking out their own store locations.

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 23, 2021, 12:44 PM »
Sounds like this will be similar to a Kohl's toy department at best.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 23, 2021, 01:23 PM »
Adam Pawlus had a few comments today on this at the end of his weekly Q&A:

The articles state Macy's will be powering Toys R Us' web site, so it's going to boil down to if Macy's toy buyers decide to really invest in product now that someone cut the TRU brand a check to use their name. If you're hoping for towering aisles of bikes, dolls, LEGO, video games, and action figures, that's not happening. It's possible the web site may have some good stuff, but we're seeing more splits between "fan/collector" and "kid" sellers of products too, and I wouldn't bet on Macy's doing a big box-sized toy department.  I took the liberty of going to a Macy's on Saturday and they did have an interesting selection of stuff, but not a lot. They even had some Hasbro stuff that's new as of the last month, so it's nothing to sneeze at... but it's still not enough stuff to fill a decent small van. In other words, it's still better than JC Penney.

Macy's probably will never be a must-see toy stop visit for the action figure collector, but they did have a good chunk of the new Hasbro Ghostbusters stuff - I was happy to see it. When you're in a mall, take a look. (But also be aware there may be more than one section, upstairs I found a very sad section with 4-5 year old toys and Age of Extinction knock-offs while downstairs had some puzzles, Hasbro stuff, and things you would buy for kids who you actually like.) Happy hunting - it's rare we have a new place to scope out, so even though it isn't going to be as amazing as the real Toys R Us stores, it's certainly nice to have one more place to visit.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 24, 2021, 12:15 PM »
Based on what I read in those comments, I don't think Adam quite grasps the business reality of this TRU shop within Macy's store concept.

TRU Kids was the company which emerged from the TRU bankruptcy.  It was basically a corporate re-organization - they emerged from the bankruptcy after liquidating inventory, auctioning off real estate, etc.  Some management there came from the original TRU corporation. They attempted to partner with Target to power their online sales platform and launched the two store locations plus some pop-ups.   But five months after they opened their first two stores in the United States the pandemic struck and they were among a significant number of retail casualties.

This newest incarnation has WHP Global taking over controlling interest in the TRU Kids company.  So what does that mean?  WHP Global is a company that looks for known brands that are in financial stress, but have wide name recognition.  They swooped in to take over the TRU brand after the old management screwed the pooch not once, but twice.  The CEO / Chairman of WHP Global will also be leading the TRU Kids company. That's a good development. Because the guy who was the head of TRU before the 2017 bankruptcy was also the CEO of FAO Schwarz before that toy store got run into the ground. Track records matter.  Will this new CEO be any better?  We'll see.

Based on the press releases so far, it sounds like a similar kind of store within a store model to what Target is doing with the Disney store.  The big questions seem to revolve around corporate management, inventory and staffing.  Will TRU have its own people within these stores, or are they going to be re-assigned Macy's staff?   That's a big question, especially if the long term strategy is for TRU to establish its own brick & mortar locations.  I personally think that they should look to establish smaller locations than the old stores, and in strip malls.  That's the way a lot of brick and mortar retail is moving, and less square footage = less overhead.

The current retail landscape is the elephant in the room.  Brick & mortar retailers are struggling and malls are dying.  And with the supply chain, pretty much every consumer goods sector has been impacted by the slowdown in international shipping because of the pandemic.  That's been readily apparent in the toy business. Getting product from manufacturers in Asia to their primary market countries has been challenging at best. The original launch target was for the 2021 holidays. I suspect that got moved back because of concerns about half stocked shelves could damage a relaunched TRU right out of the gate. Will the shipping situation improve by 2022? And will the new TRU business model fly? We'll see.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #266 on: August 24, 2021, 12:19 PM »
If they don't have a strong online presence, this will fail.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 24, 2021, 12:22 PM »
I just don't see how Macy's/TRU will have a toy department that is even half as good as Target/WM.

It'll be nice if there are other alternatives to our limited brick and mortar options today, but I don't think its realistic that this will be successful.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 5, 2021, 11:37 PM »
I just don't see how Macy's/TRU will have a toy department that is even half as good as Target/WM.

It'll be nice if there are other alternatives to our limited brick and mortar options today, but I don't think its realistic that this will be successful.

I don't know, I'm optimistic about this.  Target and Walmart are a wasteland for action figures these days, so at a minimum it can't hurt to have another vendor hopefully increasing the production run and orders.  And look at what Walgreens and Gamestop have been able to carve out with their own exclusives and fairly regular stock of Marvel and Star Wars figures.  Heck, even Kohl's was a must stop destination for a while there with some of the ROTS figures and exclusives. 

Retail is always cyclical if you wait long enough. When I was a kid, the Sears and JCPenny catalogs were the cream of the crop for action figures and toys and this doesn't feel too far removed from that.  Maybe just updated to online versus waiting for that big holiday book, but they might be able to build out some really cool partnerships.  It would be foolish to spend that money on the TRU brand and not do anything with it.  I think Macy's is feeling the pressure to get people back in their stores and there is a definite void in brick & more toys right now. This could be a strong play at trying to draw in more families and kids.  So while its not the TRU of old, I'm holding out hope for something relevant with this.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 8, 2021, 02:14 PM »

Just stocking toys in general and having them on shelves available to purchase gives them the win over Walmart  :P