Author Topic: Obi-Wan Kenobi Series (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 41001 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Spin-Off Rumors - Obi-Wan Kenobi
« Reply #15 on: July 9, 2015, 02:36 PM »
I get what your saying about it from a story standpoint, but I'd find it hard to believe that Tatooine would be devoid of any news after the fall of the Republic.  I would think the propaganda machine would be working overtime for any citizen to report on any Jedi that have fled and gone underground... and I would think that an image of the Emperor's Right Hand man would be menacing enough to strike fear into the heart of anyone and there'd be rumors going around of a man in black with his helmet and breathing that goes by the name Vader making it to all parts of the galaxy.

I guess that's why when Vader says that he sense a presence he hasn't felt since... I always took it to mean Ben and that their last encounter was on Mustafar.... (the whole master and apprentice conversation during their duel) otherwise, if Vader and Kenobi face off again, then somehow Ben 'wins' again and escapes, it'll make Vader look poorly as a Sith. 

But of course, Vader would know that Ben is still alive, so I would think he'd be looking for him for revenge... so... I don't know.  It's tough since the writers are already painted in a corner with pre-existing storylines (like the prequels)... if they go this route.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #16 on: July 9, 2015, 03:36 PM »
Fair points. I don't know - and it could be my memory failing me here - how 'known' Vader is to the general public. That being said, it's conceivable Obi-Wan in his seclusion would be unaware of a lot of what is going on out there in the galaxy. And your earlier point about Ahsoka - that's fair with her being in play now as far as the Rebels era. With Ahsoka having learned the truth (apparently) about Anakin, it's a hop skip and a jump to her relaying this to Obi-Wan, though one must assume she doesn't know where he is.

As far as Vader being diminished by another bout with Obi-Wan, I understand where you're coming from with that for sure, but I think a fight in which Obi escapes with his life just barely only reinforces Vader. After seeing a cartoon glimpse of Vader demolishing the Rebels crew, I'd be thrilled to watch the real deal demolish a little past his prime Obi-Wan who may think he's got a step on an older, damaged Anakin. It would be fan service for sure (or heresy for some) but it's one of those questions hanging between films begging for an answer. Obi-Wan finding out is huge; him finding out without the two of them locking horns again would be disappointing and unrealistic. Though not without pitfalls for sure.

Online Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 9, 2015, 03:52 PM »
I would prefer there is no Obi-Wan / Vader confrontation.

I like the fact that he has been hiding under the radar protecting Luke (and Leia?).  And when they run in to each other at the Death Star its the first time they've actually encountered each other since Mustafar.

He would only come out of hiding for important issues.  Maybe if Luke/Leia are in danger.  Maybe he could develop a way to hide his presence from Vader/Emperor and while going on covert rebel missions slip out unseen just as Vader arrives.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: July 9, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Well, within the Empire itself, Vader seems obviously very well known throughout the trilogy...  Everyone from Admirals down to lowly ensigns seem to know not to piss him off at least.

Now, galaxy-wide, who knows, but I've always figured the Empire was pretty significant around the Galaxy, and thus I'd think Vader is a topic people bring up.  I don't know that many (beyond Palps/Tarkin) know Vader is who he was though.  Tarkin seems to know little of Palpatine's ultimate background even.

I like to think though, that Vader's a pretty known guy.  Consider this...  Lando even seems to know how to address him properly ("Lord Vader" and all that jazz), and he's just a guy running a mining town out in the galaxy.  One of possibly literally millions or even billions (or more?) type places.  Fett knows this title to address him by as well.

All little stuff, and drifting off topic some, but ultimately then I believe Kenobi's well aware of Vader and who he is, personally.  I think Vader has a reputation he's built up.  He's maybe more infamous than famous?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 9, 2015, 06:59 PM »
I think there's the possibility that Obi-Wan knows of Vader because he knows that Darth Vader has been hunting the Jedi.  Yes, Obi-Wan came across the security recordings of Vader attacking the Jedi Temple as part of Order 66, complete with Vader killing Jedi.  But Obi-Wan spoke to Luke in his hut about Vader as if he knew more:

A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights. He betrayed and murdered your father. Now the Jedi are all but extinct. Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force.

So has Obi-Wan learned of Vader's hunt from other Jedi in hiding?  Or is it more publically known?  Does the Empire have some sort of standing bounty on the Jedi?  And is Darth Vader the face of this galactic manhunt?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #20 on: July 9, 2015, 11:18 PM »
Obi-Wan knows that Anakin survived and the armored figure being called Darth Vader is him because Qui-Gonn tells him.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 02:04 PM »
I was watching Collider's Jedi Council on YouTube last night, and the topic of an Obi-Wan Kenobi anthology film came up.  And two of the guests on the panel were Freddie Prinze Jr. (Kanan on REBELS) and Sam Witwer (Emporer Palpatine and Maul on REBELS).  Both voice actors are pretty tapped in to what's going on at Lucasfilm, despite the fact that they can't discuss anything about their show.  However, Freddie Prinze Jr. did offer that some 30+ scripts have been pitched to Lucasfilm/Disney about Obi-Wan Kenobi during his years in exile on Tatooine.  Frankly, I was shocked to hear that just that many concepts had been pitched!

What also came up is that Ewan McGregor has met with Kathleen Kennedy, the head of Lucasfilm about the project.  And he has also expressed an interest in working on the project with a director he has worked with in the past.  When I heard that, I instantly thought of Danny Boyle.  And if that were to happen, I would be most interested in the direction of that project!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 08:09 PM »
I'd be over the moon for a Danny Boyle Obi-Wan movie, or really any Obi-Wan movie. 30+ pitches... in a way I'm not surprised. This is probably the most pitch ready movie of all when it comes to these anthology movies.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 03:18 PM »
Rumor for now, but Hollywood Reporter is claiming that Stephen Daldry is in early talks to direct a Star Wars standalone movie centering on Obi-Wan Kenobi.

There have been so many "Ewan wants to be Kenobi again" stories, that I wonder if he would do it... I supposed that depends on how old/young Obi-Wan is in the movie, obviously.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Online Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 04:56 PM »
Maybe its just me, but I don't think there is any reason to do an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie without Ewan.

I loved Ewan as Obi-Wan, but don't fundamentally find the Obi-Wan character or story line all that unique / interesting.  I don't care how good the script is, I don't think I would be at all interested in an Obi-Wan reboot / recasting.

If they had a script that needed a Jedi in the OT time frame and couldn't make it a Kenobi/Ewan story, I would rather they create an all new Jedi (like Kanan) and tell a story around that character.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 06:03 PM »
I think they would have to use Ewan and focus on the timeline between E3 and E4.  He's already fairly young in TPM, so I think they would need to recast him if they went the Young Obi-Wan route.  Not a fan of that. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 08:11 PM »
They'll make this as they continue re-filming A NEW HOPE, like they are secretly are with the Han Solo prequel. Gradually piece together Episode 4 from a few stand alone movies.

That's what I would do. LOL.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 08:21 PM »
I thot there was an interview with EM that he said he'd be interested in it?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 08:39 PM »
McGregor has been pretty vocal that he'd come back, so the idea he's unattached at this point is odd. He might just be waiting for a script. I'm all about an Obi Wan movie. Can't wait.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 11:09 PM »
Yeah, if they bring Ewan back I think this could be really good.

I could see it taking place post ROTS too, dude couldn't have just sat in a hut for 20 years.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy