Author Topic: SW Live Action TV your thoughts  (Read 5136 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
SW Live Action TV your thoughts
« on: May 9, 2005, 10:09 AM »
Okay, we all know its coming.  Time to determine what direction this will go in.  At least 75% of the EP3 cast could do TV.  Was it a coincidence that Lucas hired a bunch of actors who have done TV?  While some of the cast will never appear on TV and the balance is either disguised, CGI, etc. this could go into so many directions.

Will these be reoccuring storylines, or different chapters each week.  Will it contain the Empire (Vader, Sidious,etc).  Leia and Luke growing up (I can see Smits making cameos).  Or following Fett.  A young Han?  Jedis that survived the Purge?  Endless possiblities that could work.  With CGI being quite economical these days, alot could be passed off. 

« Last Edit: May 9, 2005, 10:09 AM by rebeltrader »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: SW Live Action TV your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 9, 2005, 06:12 PM »
I'm not sure what to make of a live-action TV series for SW.

It works for Star Trek at times...  I mean, TNG and DS9 are still 2 of the best shows ever on TV if you ask me, and I'd watch every re-run if Spike would put them on later in the day when I actually could watch TV.

The problem will be duplicating that kind of success...  Not easy.

Personally, I think following the budding rebellion, perhaps even the earliest days of the "Rogue" Squadron mates.  That'd be great...  You get action, stories would be varied, plenty of main characters both alien and human...  Wouldn't be hard to duplicate known characters from the films, but you wouldn't really need to delve into "mains" like Han, Luke, Leia, etc... 

I'd like to think this is the concept Lucas may run with but I fear it's not.  A different story every week, I've found, isn't something I'm wild about.  I know that the little side stories interjected in the Clone Wars shorts were distracting, and I felt that the 2nd season with its strict continuity was better.  Sure it was sorta neat watching the Mace and Kit episodes in Season one, but they were sort of dumb asides that didn't "fit" as well also, and they were the weakest episodes IMO as well.

Live action could rock...  You can't have them "exploring" like in TNG, but DS9's last season was all-out war.  Nothing but ass kickings in space.  Huge battles.  Death and destruction.  And it rocked that series to the core...  You could deal with that.  Hell I'd dig it if they interwove it with the Kyle Katarn storyline somehow...  Rogue Squad meets Kyle Katarn on his various missions for the Alliance.  That'd be too much to dream for, if you ask me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 9, 2005, 07:04 PM »
George Lucas said that "None of the cast will be apearing in the live action show. Well...one is, anyway." and that it will cover the events leading from episode 3 to 4.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 11:24 AM »
I think I've posted on this before, but I would have loved to see a SW TV show simply entitled "Rebellion" centered around the formation and early rise of the Rebellion.

It sould start shortly after EPIII or, actually I'd like to see maybe the pilot episode sort of overlap with the events of EPIII.  I'd like to see Smits actually be one of the main stars, maybe have some cameos in the first episode to kick things off.  You could start with the formation of the rebellion, maybe one of the first meetings on Coruscant around the time of EPIII.  Mon Mothma could have a part, even introduce characters like Dodonna

I'd like to see specific episodes like the creation of Rouge Squadron(which they could then be used in multiple episodes, swooping in and saving the day), or a Wedge backstory, or early training and missions. 

An episode or two (or a small mini-series type concept could be centered around a young Luke, with some catchy title like "the unknown hero" or something)

You could also at the same time show the Rebelilions struggles against the Empire.  Characters like Tarkin, Veers, etc. could be mainstay "Baddies"(you would still have the classic good vs. bad theme).  Also I'd like to see an episode maybe where the Empire enslaves surviving wookies, including Chewie.  You could eventually have an episode on Han and his earely role in the Empire. maybe showing how Han and Chewie came to be.

There could be an episode showing how the Rebellion "recruited" the Bothans as their spy network,  eventually as you get closer to EP IV in later episodes, you could show how the REbellion came into all the X-wings, etc. or maybe an episode where they smuggled a bunch of R2 units in order to plan attacks using the X-wings.  Maybe actually show how the plans to the Death star were stolen.

Sure, an occational episode showing the "jedi purge" would be awesome.

Characters like Obi-WAn and Yoda could always be referenced, but if Lucas didn;t want to show on-screen, could still be workled into the story.

I'd love to see episodes where they "discover the massassi temple and create the Rebel base, or show the Rebellion on Dantooine, and have a season ending episode where maybe they are "beat down" and why they have to desert Dantooine.

I'd love to see certain "bounty hunter" or underworld type episodes.Tell me an episode working in someone like Xizor and Black Sun wouldn't be pretty cool.

Imagine scenes of a Royal Guard training center? or raids by the rebellion on Empire stockyards, seeing a huge warehouse where AT-AT's are being constructed, and the Rebellion raids it and blows it all up? ( I envision a scene, where Veers is visiting for an inscpection of the construction of the Empires "new" weapon, and the rebels mine the warehouse and as the raid begins, the Empire manages to get people inside one of the At-AT's and Veers is yelling "it's too late, we cannot lose them all,we must save one, finished or not were going to see what one of these armored transports can do, get some pilots in there and make them pay!" I can see an unfinished At-AT being started up and pulls out of the "dock" as it takes it's first steps, pipes and gaslines lines pull away and as the camera pans back to a burning shipyard, a huge At-AT comes marching out of the flames and the rubble of a destroyed shipyard, and rebel pilots race to thier ships to escape and the At-At starts pulverizing them.  The episode ends as a rebel pilot hands Mon Mothma the plans for the shipyard as he dies.  Mon Mothma and Organa take the plans and while they converse about the Empire growing ever stronger, a 3-D image shows plans for vehicles like the AT-AT and Vaders super Star Destroyer.

or, how about Boba Fett actually being hired by the Rebellion early on?  Imagine an early fett working for the "good guys" back in the days?  He could still be a mercenary-for-hire but actually work for the good guys, that would be a pretty cool twist.

Man, the possibilities are just endless.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 01:43 PM »
The Private Universe is reporting that Zoo Magazine has an article discussing that the live action Star Wars show will be centered around Boba Fett...played by Daniel Logan.  Grain of salt and all that...but a little bit of news on the SW TV front.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 1, 2005, 10:58 PM »
Yeah, I don't know about that.  I would not be surprised if it becomes a Boba Fett show.  However, I can't see them sticking with Daniel Logan for it.  NOthing against him or anything.  I would just be surprised is all.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 2, 2005, 11:27 AM »
First up, I have to say that I am not thrilled at all about the Live Action on TV. I worry that we'll lose the attractiveness of the films. I mean, here's the real issue, Lucas cannot write dialogue (inlcluding the OT), and you have to have good acting which takes good dialogue. If Lucas allows others to run with it, then it may have a chance. That is what made ST TNG and DS9 series that worked. TNG had decent dialogue and very good acting.  DS9 once they got into the war had action, decent acting and dialogue and it carried that series to its conclusion.  I wonder if the SW show will have that. Also, Lucas needs to use technology to enhance the story and not be the story.
As for a theme, and yes, it needs a central theme be it the beginning of the Rebellion, or Rogue Squadron, or two Jedi Knights that escape the purge and are both hiding/******* the empire, or like Jude Watson's current book series The Last of the Jedi.  I would like to see some aspect of two Jedi who escaped the purges and their efforts to remain free of the Empire (tension) while trying to assist the fledging rebellion.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 3, 2005, 09:43 PM »
Yep, if they were to do this show that is the angle I would like to see as well.  Preferably a couple Jedi we know nothing about trying to escape the Empire and somehow helping out the new Rebellion.  I would like cameos of course of certain characters.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 9, 2005, 04:29 PM »
Hmmm...this quote has me more exicted about this.  "McCallum said. "So we're really excited about that because I think finally we can have the opportunity to answer everybody's questions once and for all by the time we finish the series."

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 02:43 PM »
I've heard a few things recently focused on the Boba Fett storyline.  As a huge Fett fan, i'm torn.  I really like Daniel Logan in EP II, I think he did a good job as a young Fett, but I think carrying a TV series on the shoulders of a young actor as he would be difficult.  You think George would have learned his lesson with Llyoyd and EP I.

Although, Logan in 2 years is well, 2 years older, and if the series carries for a few years, Logan at 2,3,4 yrs. down the road, may not be SO bad.  I dunno.

Still wish it would focuse on the Rebellion and work all the characters and backstories in as asides.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 12:37 AM »
I dunno that he was good in AOTC... ;)  I mean, the half-assed chuckle, and the incredibly piss-poor "Look out!", and god forbid I ever hear a freaking 12 year old yell "fire!" at his father as he tries killing someone.

Then again is that Logan or Lucas at fault? :)  I think mostly B, but I can see partly A too since the delivery was shite.

Not to critique him, and I don't know if he could pull a full character on a weekly series off or not.  Maybe he could since AOTC wasn't a BIG role and his sequences on Kamino were alright, so who knows.  He blew once he was in the Slave I shots though.

Now...  I could see Bodie Taylor playing Fett too as the series progresses and he gets older.  It could be really cool having a show around a Bounty Hunter, but it could get into some really craptacular EU material too which I"m REALLY hoping that the series proves to be high quality...  I like the analogies of ST:TNG and ST:DS9 being GOOD quality shows where the acting, writing, and story were the focus and FX were there only to help.  If they pull something off half as good as ST:TNG I think I'd be content to happy with it.  I still watch ST:TNG re-runs religiously so I hold it in high regard.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 12:06 AM »
Well, I don't think Lucas has a good track record picking good child actors or in delivering good lines. I think of Jake Lloyd, Daniel Logan, the group of kids at Anakin's podracer.
A series has to have adults in it. If the series is based around Boba Fett, I think you have to imagine that it takes place between Ep. III and Ep. IV, with Boba being an adult.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 02:53 PM »
A little bit of info on the upcoming live TV Series, coming from Rick McCallum.  Some things we've heard before....based between III and IV, and he claims "everything the fans always wanted the prequels to be".

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 11:56 PM »
"everything the fans always wanted the prequels to be".

Good?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...