Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 350460 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2004, 12:43 PM »
JangoFettish is now Cinemaddiction at RS

Two movies opening this weekend that I hope to see eventually...

The Terminal Spielberg/Hanks flick, must see (again eventually)

Dodgeball...I thought this looked like crap but both local papers gave it pretty good reviews and say its actually pretty funny.  Not one I'll go see at the theater but one I will rent or wait for cable

SilverZ

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2004, 09:19 PM »
I keep reading reviews of Terminal and they're all over the place. RT has it at 67% fresh. I guess I'll have to go see it during the week and see for myself. It seems like most of the negative reviews are bashing it because it never comes out of light and happy territory. It must suck to be Speilberg and not be able to make a light movie without people now jumping down your throat with criticism that it doesn't carry the weight of Schindler's List and SPR.

I'm a knuckhead and desperately want to see Dodgeball. Again, after the weekend, at a theater away from the annoying kiddies. (No offense to those with spawns of their own).

I hate summertime and want all schools to be year-round.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 09:20 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2004, 10:52 PM »
Who's head will roll for this one...There was a rumored $110 Million budget for this and made a putrid $10 million its opening weekend...yeowch

The weekend's other new wide release, Jackie Chan and Steve Coogan's "Around the World in 80 Days," came in at No. 9 with $6.8 million for the weekend and $9.6 million since opening Wednesday.

SilverZ

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2004, 03:18 PM »
Well at least for once movie goers showed some taste and stayed away from that thing. It looked mighty poopy.

On a personal note of glee, Riddick is on a fast and furious (hahaheehee) plummet out of the top ten:

7. THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK $8,271,000 $41,354,000

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2004, 10:20 PM »
On a personal note of glee, Riddick is on a fast and furious (hahaheehee) plummet out of the top ten:

Oh, that's a terrible thing to say.

(Report post to moderator)

Chronicles of Riddick--to me--is the greatest motion picture experience since probably Casablanca, or Drop Dead Fred.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2004, 11:09 AM »
Saw on CNN that Speed Racer may be coming to the Big Screen

There are two movies right now that I'm really excited in seeing how they turn out...The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe and A Confederacy of Dunces which last I heard had Will Farrell and Drew Barrymore in it but was having some problems in production.  

I'm also looking forward to War of the Worlds

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #36 on: July 1, 2004, 02:50 PM »
The Official Site for Blade 3 has a great preview:
http://www.bladetrinity.com/

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 7, 2004, 02:11 PM »
With the often high prices of going to the theatre to catch a movie, how often do you go multiple times to the same film?  I always enjoy the theatre experience, and if it wasn't for the cost, I would probably "repeat view" more often.  For me, I think the only movies I have gone to more than once would be Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and I'd like to go see Spidey 2 once or twice more yet.  Do any of you go to the theatre more than once, or do you go...and wait out the DVD/VHS offering?

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #38 on: July 7, 2004, 02:20 PM »
My guilty pleasure this summer is going to be Alien Vs Predator.

I really want to catch Napoleon Dynamite sometime in the next couple weeks. Anyone seen it yet? And I can't wait to see Spiderman2.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 7, 2004, 02:26 PM »
I'd like to see Napoleon Dynamite as well, I hope that it plays around here.  It looks like it could be pretty funny.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: July 7, 2004, 02:28 PM »
The only movies I have seen more than once at a theater in the last 5 years has been Episodes I and II and all three LOTR movies which I saw twice each

I caught Episode I a bunch of times at the cheap theater near my old apartment during the time my wife was going to grad school.  

Otherwise I usually only go once...and with two little guys we have to really want to go see something to go even that one time

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: July 7, 2004, 02:30 PM »
Do any of you go to the theatre more than once, or do you go...and wait out the DVD/VHS offering?

Ususally, we go and then buy the DVD if we liked the movie.

Multiple veiwings are a rare occurance these days, usually reserved for SW, LOTR, and the occasional re-release (Superman 1 played a local theater a while back).

And, when regular movies are multiple viewed (such as Sipedy 2 might be), it's usually at a second-run theater (ie the "cheap" movie theater) where the tickets are around $1-2 to see the picture.  No stadium seating or free refills, but cheap movies are always cool...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #42 on: July 7, 2004, 02:42 PM »
The only movies I have seen more than once at a theater in the last 5 years has been Episodes I and II and all three LOTR movies which I saw twice each

Ditto.

Ususally, we go and then buy the DVD if we liked the movie.

Multiple veiwings are a rare occurance these days, usually reserved for SW, LOTR...

..and ditto.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #43 on: July 8, 2004, 11:01 AM »
Get Steve Guttenberg on the phone

Police Academy 8 huh...wowza, from the producers of The Chronicles of Riddick and Catwoman, the story that needed to be told again and again is back.  Sound Effects Guy, Bobcat, The Lady Who Talks Softly and Steve Guttenberg, Its comic gold!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 8, 2004, 11:32 AM »
I like the quick vote CNN has:

QUICKVOTE

Would you go see a new 'Police Academy'?
Yes, those films are funny  
Maybe  
I'd sooner lick the floor of a movie theater after a kiddie matinee

Results thus far:

Would you go see a new 'Police Academy'?  

Yes, those films are funny: 36%  1654 votes  

Maybe: 23%  1071 votes  

I'd sooner lick the floor of a movie theater after a kiddie matinee: 40%  1854 votes  

Floor licking is very popular!  :D