Author Topic: Curb Your Enthusiasm  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Curb Your Enthusiasm
« on: January 8, 2004, 12:26 PM »
I can't believe I haven't watched this show before (we've had HBO for about 5 months now) but I've been catching it non stop on the HBO network the past few weeks.  Larry David is absolutely brilliant, this is Seinfeld with swearing, it truly is the best show on TV right now behind NFL Football.  The show reeks Costanza and with good reason since George is basically Larry...amazing, brilliant work

I'm an idiot for just finding this out

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: January 8, 2004, 12:57 PM »
I've heard nothing but great things about this show as well.  Unfortunately, we don't get HBO, otherwise we would definitely check it out.  We were/are huge Seinfeld fans, and if the humor is along those lines, I'm sure we would enjoy it.  We were actually thinking about picking up HBO just for this, but I don't think it would be worth it for one show.  Nice to hear another postive endorsement of it though, hopefully we can check it out sometime.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: January 8, 2004, 06:23 PM »
I've always been interested in this show, but unfortunately, I've only caught part of one episode, since I don't keep up with TV/HBO enough to know when exactly it's going to be on every week.

However, I really liked the part of the episode I saw, and as far as Larry David and Seinfeld goes, well, I'm one of "those" who believes the show went to sh!t, relatively-speaking, when he left during the sixth or seventh season, whenever it was.

So, this will be a perfect time to mention that Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Complete First Season is coming to DVD next Tuesday, January 13th, as a matter of fact.  How convenient!  :)

Amazon: $27.99 with free shipping

Believe it's $29.99 at DDD, and I think Best Buy and Circuit are going to have it for that price as well.

I'd much rather have this, and watch it on my schedule, than whenever HBO wants me to watch it (I'm TIVO-less, too).

And some little-known Larry David/Seinfeld trivia for you:  

He was the voice of George Steinbrenner.  

:-\
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 07:06 PM »
So I got the DVD set a few days ago, and finished all the episodes, and I guess all I can say is that it's pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

The natural progression of Seinfeld, I guess, kind of like an older conglomeration of the Jerry and George characters.

Must go on.

Can't go on.

Must go on.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 07:06 PM by Plain ol' Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 12:55 AM »
I laughed so much during this week's episode that I thought I was going to hear a knock at my door from annoyed neighbors.   :o

I've loved this show ever since they did the pilot of an HBO special for Larry David.  It's brilliant.  The man has no filter, it's all stream of conciousness and he says what he's really thinking.  That's got to be incredibly liberating.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 10:25 AM »
Last nights episode was great too, I can't even remember the last time I laughed out loud at a TV show besides the Simpsons, probably Seinfeld and thats been gone a long time.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 01:33 PM »
The last two episodes of Curb have been some of the best stuff I've seen on TV this year...HBO is definitely worth the price you pay for it just to be able to watch this show!

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 06:55 PM »
Still haven't seen any of the non-DVD episodes, since I'm not much of a TV watcher.

I guess, when the current season comes out on DVD in a year or so, I'll come back to this thread, and partake in the humor.

Until then, though, I'll never look at the phrase "beloved aunt" the same way, ever again. . .

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 09:47 AM »
Still haven't seen any of the non-DVD episodes, since I'm not much of a TV watcher.

I guess, when the current season comes out on DVD in a year or so, I'll come back to this thread, and partake in the humor.

Until then, though, I'll never look at the phrase "beloved aunt" the same way, ever again. . .
Here's a postview for me and a preview for you then...

Larry meets David Schwimmer's dad who he had ticked off a few weeks before for not putting more cashews in the cashew-raisin combo bags.  Schwimmers dad is cold and isn't really happy to meet Larry.  Larry feels bad and wants to call him to apologize for the percieved insult.  He calls him on his car phone...

"Hey Mr. Schwimmer this is Larry David, just wanted to call you and say..."
Larry is rear ended
"You son of a ******* bitch, what the **** are you doing you bastard" (to the guy in the car)

He never hung up the phone and so now he's insulted Schwimmer's dad even more...classic

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004, 01:10 PM »
Here's a postview for me and a preview for you then...

Larry meets David Schwimmer's dad who he had ticked off a few weeks before for not putting more cashews in the cashew-raisin combo bags.  Schwimmers dad is cold and isn't really happy to meet Larry.  Larry feels bad and wants to call him to apologize for the percieved insult.  He calls him on his car phone...

"Hey Mr. Schwimmer this is Larry David, just wanted to call you and say..."
Larry is rear ended
"You son of a ******* *****, what the **** are you doing you bastard" (to the guy in the car)

He never hung up the phone and so now he's insulted Schwimmer's dad even more...classic

Poor Larry.

Alright--sh!t.  

When do the new episodes air, exactly?  Sunday nights at what time Central?  I need to make a point to watch this show.

And what season is this now?  Second, or third?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #10 on: March 9, 2004, 12:21 PM »
CYE: Season 2--coming to DVD June 15th. . .

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: March 9, 2004, 12:30 PM »
Sweet!  I laughed for 5 straight minutes in this weeks Episode...it involved Colby from TV Survivor and a Saully a Holocaust Survivor arguing who had a rougher life and who was a stronger Survivor

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2004, 07:40 PM »
Season Finale for Season 4 tonight. . .

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2004, 08:43 PM »
I hour episode tonight too, Larry makes his debut in The Producers!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2004, 11:38 PM »
The first half of the show tonight was brilliant, the second half dragged a tad...

OCB's favorite moment of tonight's episode:[/size][/color]

Larry taking a leak in the airplane bathroom when the plane hits a large pocket of turbulance...instead of pinching it off, he proceeds to pee all over the bathroom