Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 101127 times)

Fettish Sez Thanks

Re: 2004 DVD Release List
« Reply #180 on: January 9, 2004, 05:01 PM »
Most of the titles they put on Superbit are garbage, i.e. Panic Room. Do you really need defined sound for "Snatch"?

I only have "Charlies Angels", but haven't watched it yet. Bottom line, I wouldn't buy Superbit movies unless I had a decent home theatre to appreciate the upgrade with, personally. Most newer movies are already mixed in DTS/5.1, anyway.

SilverZ

« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2004, 01:42 AM »
My most anticipated release (don't mock me!  ;) ) of the year finally has full specs and cover art:

Final Countdown

Sweetness.

J

SilverZ

« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2004, 01:50 AM »
Re: Superbits

Cory summed it up really well. You really have to be a video nitpicker to want the Superbits, or have a display and components that you really want to squeeze every little bit out of that 720x480 picture.

With that said, I'm one of the worst nitpickers out there! Check out Bjorn Roy's evaluations at this link. He gives the best description on what typically happens with a movie in the video realm before its compressed to DVD, and how SB discs seem to differ:

videophile.info

There's also a few exceptions to the above, where the DVD is a worthwhile update to the originally released disc. For example, Desperado uses an entirely different HD master that's vastly improved over the original 1998-ish release. Das Boot suffered terrible compression artifacts and was a flipper-disc in its first release. The SB fixes both those problems. But these are the rare exceptions. There's a lot that I can't honestly recommend spending the extra cash on. And I own a lot of them!

Not sure if that helped at all, but there's my $.02.

J

Edit: fixed the link.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 01:56 AM by SilverZed3 »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2004, 02:09 AM »
I enjoyed The Final Countdown when it was released in the theater back in 1980. I still like it.  8)

Splash the Zeros!   ;D

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2004, 03:47 PM »
Hey, my thread died.

:-\

Oh well.  The few months after Christmas are traditionally dead months for DVD releases, anyway.

But, that said, I made a few updates to the list, most notably:

• The Ed Wood: Collector's Edition DVD, set for release a week from Tuesday, has again been indefinitely delayed, for no apparent reason (it was originally due to be released last August but was delayed just weeks before that)
  • Freaks & Geeks: The Complete Series has been announced for an April release (what a great, underrated, under-watched show)
  • Other big April releases including Kill Bill: Volume 1 (April 13th, just days before Volume 2 hits theatres), and Matrix Revolution (April 6th)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 03:49 PM by Plain ol' Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2004, 07:29 AM »
Yeah, its been a little slow DVD wise.  I still have over $100 in BB GC I got for Christmas that I haven't used yet.  If BB has them in stock tomorrow, I'll buy the two Godzilla movies, Alice in Wonderland and GIJoe: season 1.  AIW shouldn't be a problem, but BB usually sucks for "lesser known" DVDs.  I did see them BB's website, so I might go that route.  I believe I can use GC on line.
Common sense isn't so common

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2004, 08:50 PM »
Making a CD Warehouse/best Buy run myself tomorrow afternoon.

Alice may be on the hit list, but I am shooting for some of my wishlist movies, i.e. Seven (SE), and whatever else is cheap that I need.

Found "Hannibal" 2 Disc SE at Half.com for $5.25 "like new" used this evening.  :o

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2004, 11:53 PM »
Timeline isn't in the list.  Based on the Michael Crichton book, I actually went to the theater to see this, but the projector broke.  Went and saw Master and Commander.  It appears that was a fortuitous event, given how quickly it dissappeared from the theater.  

Any idea of the DVD release date?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2004, 12:31 AM »
Timeline--that came out around Thanksgiving, no?  Based off the typical six-month window, that would put it around May sometime, probably.  And generally, the studios will announce their DVDs around two-to-three months before their release date.  (They're just now announcing the stuff for late March to early/mid-April).

So, I'll say somewhere around mid-April to mid-May, and, just for sh!ts and giggles, I'll say April 27th--and when they announce it, we'll see how close I was.

:-\
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 12:32 AM by Plain ol' Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

SilverZ

« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2004, 07:20 PM »
Thank god, the thread is back on the first page! I'm not anticipating much until later in the year now when the Fall/Winter catalog titles are announced (inevitable OT, Top Gun SE, ROTK:SE). Nothing released theatrically in the last few months has me really waiting for a home video release, excluding ROTK, obviously.

Re: Ed Wood. I'm trying to preorder through a few places that might not know (or care) about the "recall". Walmart.com seems to be the best hope.

Got GI Joe Season 1pt1 today from Buy.com. Rad!

Virex, do you run any region-free DVD players or drives? I'm honestly looking forward more to the Japanese Kill Bill release...

J

SilverZ

« Reply #190 on: January 29, 2004, 11:02 PM »
Digital Bits posted info from USA Today on the Extended Edition of Return of the King:

Around the Net today, the USA Today has confirmed (in a recent interview with director Peter Jackson) what we'd heard before, which is that the theatrical edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King will street in May or June, while the extended version will arrive in November. Click here to read the full story. The most interesting thing here is that Jackson says he's finished editing the extended cut, which runs some 4 hours and 10 minutes (or 250 mins total). If accurate, that means the extended version is 49 minutes longer that the 201 minute theatrical cut. Nice. I am so there.

49 minutes extra!  :o This and the OT and I think we have the 2 biggest DVD releases of the year.

J

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #191 on: January 29, 2004, 11:21 PM »
49 minutes extra!

The anticipation for this ROTK EE DVD almost makes me horny.  Almost...  Damn the long wait though!   :'(

That wasn't too much info, was it?  You guys feel the same, right?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2004, 11:32 PM »
49 minutes extra!

The anticipation for this ROTK EE DVD almost makes me horny.  Almost...  Damn the long wait though!   :'(

That wasn't too much info, was it?  You guys feel the same, right?

*shudder*

backing out of room.  slowly.  very, very slowly. :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2004, 11:37 PM »
*shudder*