Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 118086 times)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #240 on: August 30, 2004, 03:26 PM »
...I root for the A's, Angels, Cubs, Yankees, Braves and Cards to do well...as well as anyone playing the Dodgers.   ;D

... it's not like I just jump on the bandwagon of whichever hometown team is the hottest like some folks from tropiCAL locations.   ::)

Jason, I think Jeff here's talking **** to you.  I know he ain't sayin' that to me, 'cause I've been a die hard Dodgers and Angels fan for longer than most of you guys have been alive!  Especially those two Minnesota punk asses.

Granted, I'm slightly more vocal when we're winning, but that should be a given...   ;)

That's cool.  Doesn't bother me whether he's kidding or serious.  I've never been one to root for the local team just to root for the local team.  The only local team I've ever been a loyal fan to is the Lakers.  And beyond the Lakers, I can't stand basketball.  I explained the reasons I root for the teams I root for (and add Nomar to my reason for liking the Cubbies) and if you were all paying attention, it's because of individual players.  I've always identified more w/ individual players than with teams.  The entire reason I became a Detroit Red Wings fan back in 1989 was because when I first started to watch and follow hockey, I thought Steve Yzerman was the man.  Had Yzerman been playing for Quebec, I'd have been a Nords fan.  Had Mark McGwire been playing for the Giants, I'd be a Giants fan.  It's as simple as that.  Everyone has their reasons for liking whatever team it is they like.  I have mine, you have yours.  You can't knock them one way or another.  Plenty of people hop on and off bandwagons, but I'm not one of those people. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #241 on: August 30, 2004, 03:36 PM »
Jason, I think Jeff here's talking **** to you.  I know he ain't sayin' that to me, 'cause I've been a die hard Dodgers and Angels fan for longer than most of you guys have been alive!  Especially those two Minnesota punk asses.

Granted, I'm slightly more vocal when we're winning, but that should be a given...   ;)

Hey!

Don't go around mis-interpreting my slams !

That slight was not intended for Jason, rather it was intended as a shot at your fair weather hockey fans who decided to show up at games only after you made it to the Stanley Cup Finals and then disappeared again one season later.

Quite tryin to stir up trouble or I'll have you banned!

Jeff
 >:(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 30, 2004, 03:50 PM »
CA is full of fair weather fans.  When the Lakers were getting swept in the 1st round by Utah, nobody had Kobe and Shaq jerseys or car flags.  When they became a dynasty again, everyone loved them and claimed they were lifelong fans.  When the Cowboys were in the middle of their run of Super Bowls in the 90s, everyone out here "loved them Cowboys."  When the Ducks made their run, Duckmania swept the Southland.  Now they suck again and no one cares.  That's just So Cal.  Lots of fair weather fans, but also lots of distractions and other things to get excited about if a team stinks.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #243 on: August 30, 2004, 04:00 PM »
That's cool.  Doesn't bother me whether he's kidding or serious. 

Yeah, I was just ****in' ya' there Jas.  Jeff was yappin' his dumb Minnesota ass off at me...   ::)

Speaking of which, anyone catch last night's Halo/Twinkie score?  Yeah, that's what I thought.

Anyway, on the topic of "fairweatheredness"...  I've openly admitted to being a bandwagoner of our local hockey teams for the most part.  Lost interest in the early/mid 90's when Gretzky bailed, and the "Showtime" era was gone.  Same can be said for the Ducks, after they dumped Teemu and later Kariya.  Loved those two.  Now, nuthin'.

But I've gotta agree, SoCal IS the land of fairweathered fans.  Like Jason said, if our local teams aren't at/near the top, there's plenty of other stuff going on around SoCal to peek one's interest.  I think the same can often be said for our local players, and their occasional lack of focus/interest/heart/desire.  Just too many distractions around here for both the fans and the players I think, and that's what keeps us from the fun and insane levels of fandom seen in other cities around the country...   :-\

But the Angels are still kicking the Twins ass in this series, and that's all the really matters right now.   :-*

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #244 on: August 30, 2004, 10:19 PM »
Anyone ever think they would live to see a 700 HR hitter again in our lifetime?  I did I guess once McGwire hit 72 but back in the 80's I could say there is no way in hell it would have ever happened.

I admire Bonds for what he has done...not sure what I think about him as a person since I hear lots of bad and not so much good about his personality and moodiness.  Doesn't mean he isn't awesome and he'd be nearing Aaron if it weren't for the sissy managers not pitching to him

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 30, 2004, 10:23 PM »
Anyone ever think they would live to see a 700 HR hitter again in our lifetime?  I did I guess once McGwire hit 72 but back in the 80's I could say there is no way in hell it would have ever happened.

I admire Bonds for what he has done...not sure what I think about him as a person since I hear lots of bad and not so much good about his personality and moodiness.  Doesn't mean he isn't awesome and he'd be nearing Aaron if it weren't for the sissy managers not pitching to him

Even Bonds can't save you now Pearson!!

Long live Adrian Beltre!!!
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 30, 2004, 11:50 PM »
Actually Mac only hit 70.  That piece of **** Bonds hit 72.   :'(

I read something in the Sporting News around the turn of the century that was incredibly interesting.  It took each player in the top 10 in HRs per at bat and figured out how many career HRs they would have hit had they played full (or somewhat average) seasons without injury.  Mac's projection based on his HRs per at-bat was over 1000 for his career.  Had the man been able to stay healthy, Bonds would be chasing him. 

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 31, 2004, 02:46 AM »
Actually Mac only hit 70.  That piece of **** Bonds hit 72.   :'(

Actually, that jackass Bonds hit 73.   :P

I was wary of the Giants signing the ego maniac back in '93. On the other hand, this jackass was one of the game's best players.

Over the course of 11 years, my attitude about the guy has softened a bit. I hear these stories callers tell on the radio. The way the local media now covers him -- the very same media that used to magnify every little mistake he made. My own semi-encounter and my niece's separate experience with him. He has his good and bad points. He's no different than a lot of other big name athletes.

Paraphrasing a local radio personality, "When Bonds doesn't want to talk to reporters, he'll just ignore them. When McGwire didn't want to talk, he let them know in his surly fashion."

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 31, 2004, 01:28 PM »
You are correct sir.  It was 73.  Not sure why I had 72 on the brain. 

McGwire really started to dislike the media after '98, and who could blame him?  He was hounded by them everyday and each day it was the same set of questions.  Personally, I think I'd get tired of the media as well.  You see SO many pro athletes just get so sick and tired of the bs that is the sports media.  Bonds attitude, however, extends to both fans, media, teammates and everyone in general.  The guy is a prick.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 31, 2004, 01:53 PM »
You are correct sir.  It was 73.  Not sure why I had 72 on the brain. 

The guy is a prick.

******* ******* is more like it.  Back when the Red Sox played the Giants in interleague play (in SF, no less) he went off on how much he hates Boston, it's racist, blah, blah, blah.  When the reporter asked him where he got his info, figuring it was based on first hand experience, Bonds told him he heard "stories".  Turns out the dickhead has never actually been to Boston.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 31, 2004, 01:56 PM »

My predictions:

NL East:  Phillies
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Giants
NL WC: Houston

AL East: Red Sox (got to give the love to the hometown boys, plus I think they have the better pitching staff)
AL Central: Royals
AL West: Mariners
AL WC: Yankees

Surprise teams:  Toronto and Baltimore should make the AL East interesting and could possible contend, especially if the Red Sox or Yankees don't do as well as expected.

Boy, do I know how to pick them or what?  ::) 
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #251 on: August 31, 2004, 02:07 PM »
I've been absolutely PATHETIC in my picks of division champs the last 3 years but here goes

AL East: NY Yankees
AL Central: Kansas City Royals (same spot the Twins were in 2 years ago, they are hungry and have gotten better while the Twins got worse)
AL West: Oakland A's (pitching wins baby)
AL Wild Card: Boston Red Sox

NL East: Philadelphia Phillies (I think I've picked them 3 straight times, bastards)
NL Central: Chicago Cubs (too many weapons plus they added more from last year)
NL West: San Franscisco Giants
NL Wild Card: Houston Astros (see Oakland)

National League Champs: Chicago Cubs
American League Champs: New York Yankees

World Series Champion: Chicago Cubs

As much as I hate damn Cubs fans and the 80 million bandwagon jumpers they get when they make the playoffs, I think they have a real shot at winning it all.  LaTroy Hawkins was a huge signing, he absoultely shuts teams down in the 7th and 8th when he most needed, something the Cubs really need.  Sosa, Alou, Ramirez, Patterson and Lee make for a really solid line up and Prior (when he gets back) Wood and Clement are pretty solid 1, 2, 3.  Its their year, God help us all
3 for 4 in the AL, KC's slide off the face of the planet is one of the big stories nobody is talking about this year.  They were on track for big things and after taking 1 step forward they are 20 steps back

0/4 in the NL though Atlanta is a big suprise to me, maybe Bobby Cox really is that good of a manager.  Phillies have underachieved yet again.  Cubs have a chance at the Wild Card and I think the Giants still have a chance in the West

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 31, 2004, 02:16 PM »

That slight was not intended for Jason, rather it was intended as a shot at your fair weather hockey fans who decided to show up at games only after you made it to the Stanley Cup Finals and then disappeared again one season later.

Quite tryin to stir up trouble or I'll have you banned!

Jeff
 >:(

OK, now I'm confused.  See, I THOUGHT you were talking to Matt, but after that hockey comment, I'm wondering if you're now targeting someone from Tampa? :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #253 on: August 31, 2004, 02:25 PM »

OK, now I'm confused.  See, I THOUGHT you were talking to Matt, but after that hockey comment, I'm wondering if you're now targeting someone from Tampa? :-*

No sadly, the Tampa Hockey Fans will disappear this season... along with the rest of the NHL fans  :-\

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 31, 2004, 02:41 PM »
Well, except for those in Canada, that play hockey as well as watch it ;)  Someone asked if anyone other than Canadians would really notice if there was no season.  I was hard pressed to answer yes.  Not trying to sell the US short at all, there are plentiful hockey fans, especially around team centers, but Canada as a nation will miss it.  That cannot be said of any other country methinks. 

The Czech-Finland game yesterday afternoon had higher ratings than did much of the Olympics. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.