Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 118112 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #285 on: September 3, 2004, 02:54 PM »
Not a big league team, just a plain old Triple A baseball team.  :-\

Yeah, I figured as much.  I was just messin' witchya'!   :-*

Ron Kittle, eh?  There's a blast from the past.  Homer or whiff.  Nuthin' in between.   :P

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #286 on: September 6, 2004, 02:45 PM »
Wasn't anyone else besides me impressed with Brownie breaking his hand on the clubhouse wall?!  What a ******* idiot...   ::)

Dodgers slide continues.  Got waxed by the Cards, and the Hated Ones are closing quickly.  3 1/2 back now, I think.

Sox and Cards just look like steamrollers right now.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 6, 2004, 04:06 PM »
Wasn't anyone else besides me impressed with Brownie breaking his hand on the clubhouse wall?!  What a ******* idiot...   ::)

agreed. but he's missed so much time this season already in the rotation, that i don't think this will really be that big of a deal. but yeah, he's a ******* idiot all right....  ::)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 6, 2004, 07:05 PM »
NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees asked the commissioner's office to award them a forfeit over Tampa Bay after the Devil Rays failed to arrive in time for the scheduled start Monday because of travel problems in Florida due to Hurricane Frances.

The doubleheader was changed to a single game and the start time, pushed back Sunday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., was reset for 7 p.m. The Devil Rays, who reported to Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg at 8 a.m., left the ballpark at 1:05 p.m., departed Tampa International Airport at 2:40 p.m. and arrived at LaGuardia Airport at 5:25 p.m.

"The rule states that if your team is here and ready to play, and the other team isn't here and not ready to play, there should be a forfeit, and we believe there should be a forfeit," Yankees president Randy Levine said.

"There are no plans to reschedule any games until this issue is worked out," he said.

Levine said the commissioner's office had been told by the Devil Rays that Tampa Bay would head to New York late Friday or Saturday. Levine called for an investigation by baseball, and said that if the facts as the Yankees understood them were true, the game should be forfeited. Alternatively, Levine said the game should be rescheduled for Oct. 4 -- the day after the regular season is scheduled to end -- if it's necessary to decide a postseason race.

A forfeit didn't appear to be likely.

"Given the stage of the season we are in, and the exciting pennant races, it is critical that we do everything to decide the championship on the field," commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement.

that's the biggest load of bull**** i've read since last time i went to rs. so, what... because it was the yankees, a forfeit isn't allowed? so at the end of the season, they are gonna have the d-rays fly back up to new york to make up this one game if neccesary? what bull****. the rules are the rules, and their should not be any exceptions to them. i would bet that if the yankees were late getting to florida, they would have granted a forfeit to the d-rays.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 6, 2004, 10:02 PM »
NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees asked the commissioner's office to award them a forfeit over Tampa Bay after the Devil Rays failed to arrive in time for the scheduled start Monday because of travel problems in Florida due to Hurricane Frances.

The doubleheader was changed to a single game and the start time, pushed back Sunday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., was reset for 7 p.m. The Devil Rays, who reported to Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg at 8 a.m., left the ballpark at 1:05 p.m., departed Tampa International Airport at 2:40 p.m. and arrived at LaGuardia Airport at 5:25 p.m.

"The rule states that if your team is here and ready to play, and the other team isn't here and not ready to play, there should be a forfeit, and we believe there should be a forfeit," Yankees president Randy Levine said.

"There are no plans to reschedule any games until this issue is worked out," he said.

Levine said the commissioner's office had been told by the Devil Rays that Tampa Bay would head to New York late Friday or Saturday. Levine called for an investigation by baseball, and said that if the facts as the Yankees understood them were true, the game should be forfeited. Alternatively, Levine said the game should be rescheduled for Oct. 4 -- the day after the regular season is scheduled to end -- if it's necessary to decide a postseason race.

A forfeit didn't appear to be likely.

"Given the stage of the season we are in, and the exciting pennant races, it is critical that we do everything to decide the championship on the field," commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement.

that's the biggest load of ******** i've read since last time i went to rs. so, what... because it was the yankees, a forfeit isn't allowed? so at the end of the season, they are gonna have the d-rays fly back up to new york to make up this one game if neccesary? what ********. the rules are the rules, and their should not be any exceptions to them. i would bet that if the yankees were late getting to florida, they would have granted a forfeit to the d-rays.

We beat the Rays 7-4 anyhow.  Plus had there been a forfeit, A-Rod, Matsui, and Posada wouldn't have contributed points to my fantasy bounty for the night.  And that would have been a damn tragedy.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 6, 2004, 10:08 PM »
right, the yanks won the game that was played. but it was supposed to be a double header. so even if the yanks would have been granted the forfeit, they still would have played this game.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #291 on: September 8, 2004, 11:10 PM »
Can someone point me towards an AL pitcher who is throwing better than Johan Santana right now?!?

That's right, THERE ISN'T ONE.

10-0 in his 11 starts since the All-Star break with a 1.38 ERA.

Since June 9, Santana is 15-2 with a 1.49 ERA   :o

Go Twinkies! ;D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 8, 2004, 11:18 PM »
Can someone point me towards an AL pitcher who is throwing better than Johan Santana right now?!?

That's right, THERE ISN'T ONE.

10-0 in his 11 starts since the All-Star break with a 1.38 ERA.

Since June 9, Santana is 15-2 with a 1.49 ERA   :o

Go Twinkies! ;D

Yet he was cut by the Nataku Dragons...

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 9, 2004, 10:07 AM »
how about "El Duque" Orlando Hernandez? Since coming back to the team in mid-July, he's 7-0 in 11 starts with a 2.62 era.

oh yeah, there's also this news today as a follow-up to my earlier story:

HURRICANE FRANCES RAVAGES FLORIDA. STEINBRENNER BLAMED

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #294 on: September 11, 2004, 05:08 AM »
Big wins tonight for my local boys...  Gained a full game each.  The Blue is getting their lead up to a more comfortable margin again, at 6 up with about 22 to go...

Halos closed to within one game of the A's tonight too.  Plus, we've got 6 head-to-head games left to go with them as well, so our density destiny is in our own hands at this point, which is cool.

BoSox gained a game back tonight on the Yanks too.  Plus, there's a 5 way race going for that NL wildcard.  Getting exciting!

Yet somehow, amidst it all, the Twinkies just keep winning...  I just don't get that.  Oh wait, yes I do.  They play in the worst division in all of baseball.  That's right, now I remember!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #295 on: September 11, 2004, 09:44 AM »
Yet somehow, amidst it all, the Twinkies just keep winning...  I just don't get that.  Oh wait, yes I do.  They play in the worst division in all of baseball.  That's right, now I remember!

Sounds like someone's jealous!   :P

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 11, 2004, 09:54 AM »
Just looking at record alone the Twins would be 1 game out of first in the AL West and 2 games out of first in the NL West.  But that doesn't transfer entirely because you can't take away the fact that the Twins play the majority of their games against the Magglio-less Frank-less Sox, Royals, and Indians while the A's play the Angels, Ranger and Mariners and the Dodgers play the Giants, Padres and Diamondbacks.

The Twins are a good team, no doubt, but they are definitely a notch below the other 1st place teams in my opinion.

Anything can happen in that short first round of the playoffs though.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #297 on: September 11, 2004, 10:02 AM »
Name me another team besides the Red Sox with two better starting pitchers...oh and a Payroll below $60 million...

I was a doubter at the beginning of the year but they are smoking teams right now, not just the Central.  If Santana doesn't win the Cy the award is a sham

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 11, 2004, 10:12 AM »
Name me another team besides the Red Sox with two better starting pitchers...oh and a Payroll below $60 million...

I was a doubter at the beginning of the year but they are smoking teams right now, not just the Central.  If Santana doesn't win the Cy the award is a sham

A 1-2 punch for pitchers?  Well, the Sox don't have a payroll that low.  But some awesome 1-2 punches THIS year (so NOT Wood-Prior) are Clemens-Oswalt, Hudson-Mulder, Schilling-Pedro. 

Are you using Radke as your #2 on Minnesota?

I have to agree that Santana has been way more dominating than Schilling if you look at ERA, WHIP, and K/9.  Santana has struck out 3 more batters per 9.0 than Schilling with an ERA 1/2 point below Schilling.  Santana deserves the Cy.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #299 on: September 11, 2004, 10:21 AM »
With the exception of one bad game against Anaheim a couple of weeks ago Radke has been phenomenal since the All-Satr Break.  Clemens and Oswalt was the other pair I was thinking of but nobody could hold Santana's jock right now

I like the Twins chances with Santana and Radke pitching 4 of 5 and then 6 out of 7 Games in the Playoffs.