Author Topic: Vintage Collection Rumors  (Read 254399 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Collection Rumors
« Reply #645 on: March 10, 2021, 11:33 AM »
That went on for what, about 5 years or so?  That was the age of the "Skittles Troopers".  Based on what we saw in season 2 of The Mandalorian, you would almost expect Hasbro to start cranking out some troopers from the show.  Just based on what we saw in the show all of these types of troopers already exist in a 3.75" super-articulated form:

-Remnant Stormtrooper
-Stormtrooper
-Scout Trooper
-Death Trooper
-Incinerator Trooper
-Shore Trooper
-TIE Pilot

I've seen some people say that the Biker Scout is in need of an update, but I'm not sure about the need there.  With other troopers you could make easy kitbashes, like the Stormtrooper Squad Leader (from "The Tragedy").  And in the case of the Mortar Trooper it would require a repaint as well as some new accessories.

The only trooper that would require a fair amount of new tooling would be the Imperial transport drivers seen in "The Believer".  And of course there's the Dark Trooper!  I think it's only a matter of time before Hasbro gets to them.  If and when they do them, you have to expect that they would sell them in solid cases.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #646 on: March 10, 2021, 12:37 PM »
The only trooper that would require a fair amount of new tooling would be the Imperial transport drivers seen in "The Believer".

I saw a graphic on social media somewhere (Bantha Skull maybe?) where someone showed how you could get like 4-5 figures kitbashed if Hasbro tooled up a figure for that Transport Driver.  Seems like a no brainer but what do we know. :P

Found it - yep, it was BanthaSkull.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 12:38 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 10, 2021, 01:38 PM »
It's a good concept.  I'm wondering if it would register with Hasbro to do something like that.

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 10, 2021, 03:48 PM »
Considering how little vision and understanding of collector appetite for new product they seem to have at the moment, probably not.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #649 on: March 12, 2021, 12:11 PM »
Yeah, a Vintage Collection ship completely blows away the record on Haslab, spanking the Sentinel's ass, and Hasbro hasn't figured out that fans want to buy TVC figures. I mean you can lead an ass to water and all that.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 12, 2021, 01:53 PM »
I think we could probably rattle off a number of TVC grade vehicles from any of the trilogies, tv shows and standalone movies and come up with some excellent choices.  I think the key would be for Hasbro to coordinate the release of those vehicles with corresponding figures.  Here are some easy ones that I think would be very doable

PREQUELS
Episode II Coruscant speeder (without the dumb crash feature) & Anakin Skywalker

CLONE WARS
Z-95 Headhunter & Clone Pilot

SOLO
TIE RB (aka TIE Brute) & TIE Pilot

ROGUE ONE
Blue Leader X-Wing & General Merrick

ORIGINAL TRILOGY
Rogue 2 Snowspeeder & Wedge Antilles & Wes Janson

THE MANDALORIAN
New Republic X-Wing & Captain Carson Teva

SEQUEL TRILOGY
TROS TIE Whisper & Supreme Leader Kylo Ren
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 02:01 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #651 on: March 12, 2021, 07:08 PM »
Yeah, a Vintage Collection ship completely blows away the record on Haslab, spanking the Sentinel's ass, and Hasbro hasn't figured out that fans want to buy TVC figures. I mean you can lead an ass to water and all that.

I believe they got the message, but it takes three years for a toy to go from concept to market.  I've been following this guy on YouTube for a bit and he has a lot of great info.

A great explanation here.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 12, 2021, 07:22 PM »
Even before i clicked on your link I had a feeling you were referring to him. I came across his channel few weeks ago. I believe he posted years ago on occasion at anotheR Site.

If we're to believe him and his sources, we finally have an answer as to why the Tonnika sisters won't get made.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 12, 2021, 08:34 PM »
If we're to believe him and his sources, we finally have an answer as to why the Tonnika sisters won't get made.

One way to get them made is to put them in the Mandalorian.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 12, 2021, 10:43 PM »
How about a fresh TVC Hoth Rebel Transport.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 13, 2021, 08:01 AM »
Even before i clicked on your link I had a feeling you were referring to him. I came across his channel few weeks ago. I believe he posted years ago on occasion at anotheR Site.

They're not getting made because Lucasfilm won't allow it.  A number of collecting sites have done a lot of reporting on this story over the years.  I reported about it at a now defunct site called The Jawa, as well as at JTA before it became a cesspool.  And for years the story that has been put forth by Hasbro is that it was about likeness rights.

The most recent site to report on this story was Victoria's Cantina.  They had an interview with Angela Staines, the actress who played Senni Tonnika.  I've listened to the interview, and her account lends some creedence to the likeness rights issue, and that a lawyer's letter might have made the situation complicated.  Based on the way she's described the situation, it sounds like the Lucasfilm people feel as though it's more trouble than it's worth to pursue this.

Christine Hewett, who played Brea Tonnika passed away in 2007.  But she was an autograph guest at Star Wars Celebration 3 back in 2005.  The whole "likeness rights" issue was the Hasbro line about why they couldn't make the Tonnika Sisters back then, too.  So the guys from the Sandtroopers site conducted a video interview with Christine Hewett where she confirmed that she would sign whatever release was necessary to make the figure.  When Hasbro had their Celebration 3 panel discussion they did what they always do at the end - open up the floor for questions.  Enter the guys from Sandtroopers who present the information about the likeness rights and that Christine Hewett was prepared to sign off on a possible figure.  That information was met with stunned silence and someone looking down at the table.  You know, that kind of reaction when someone has been caught in a lie and just cannot bear to respond.  I'll refrain from saying exactly which Hasbro exec at the time reacted that way, but that is how it transpired.  I know because I was there and saw the whole exchange.  And the guys from Sandtroopers were not shy about letting people see that video.

So what's the actual holdup?  Hasbro has never confirmed this publicly and I doubt they ever would.  I could ask the Hasbro rep in question about it now that he's no longer with the company, but I suspect that the terms of any NDA he had to sign with Lucasfilm could still be in effect.

The theory?  Lucasfilm won't sign off on this for a couple of reasons.  The first possibility is that the characters were originally rumored to have been prostitutes.  That bit of EU background has been retconned to death, with even people like Timothy Zahn coming up with elaborate stories about the true identities of these two women from the Cantina. 

And the other, most likely issue, is because of how the characters were referred to on set during the production of the first Star Wars film.  This was detailed somewhat vaguely in a now archived  official site article from 2003 that was about the production of the Cantina scene.  It had info about characters, props, masks, puppets, etc.  When they got to the Tonnikas they went into background about how the crew regarded them.  From the article:

Their production nickname was "Space Girls," though their fashion sense of wearing their underwear on the outside led to a less-than flattering (and somewhat unprintable) nickname.

The article had photos of a number of characters in what looked like mugshot photos.  And the one for Brea Tonnika basically spelled out the production nickname:  "Star Whores", but with the letters scattered on the placard.

With all of that information to digest it seems pretty clear that a company that has marketed movies for kids and made mountains of money from toys would take the position that these characters just cannot be made into action figures.  It could have been massively damaging to the Star Wars brand in the early 2000's when Hasbro was making a lot of figures of Cantina characters.  And in the current climate it would seem even more potentially damaging.  I still remember the uproar that occurred when a parent saw a pegwarming Black Series Slave Leia back around 2014 and thought it was inappropriate.  That started as a local news story in Philadelphia and spread nationally.  Now look at how the Tonnika sisters could be perceived after that incident, along with the production lore and what society has been through in the past 5 years since the world became very uncomfortably aware of the Me Too movement.  Neither Disney, Lucasfilm nor Hasbro is going to blow up their brands by producing a couple of figures of characters who have this kind of cloud hanging over them.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 10:14 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 13, 2021, 02:13 PM »
Royalties.

Paying one actor for their likeness, I imagine, would be insignificant. But it potentially opens up a pandora's box. And I can see why discussion of a Tonnika figure is verboten in official Hasbro business.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 13, 2021, 02:26 PM »
The Tonnika sisters aren't happening. It doesn't matter which was going to be the worst issue--likeness rights, the galaxy's oldest profession, what have you--Hasbro has absolutely no incentive to even open that can of worms.

Not when there are hundreds of characters waiting in the "to be made" line with absolutely nothing standing in the way except the drip-drip-drip supply line. They will never run out of other issue-free options to make, so the one with potential issues isn't ever going to even have the conversation of whether they should or not.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #658 on: March 13, 2021, 09:07 PM »
The article had photos of a number of characters in what looked like mugshot photos.  And the one for Brea Tonnika basically spelled out the production nickname:  "Star Whores", but with the letters scattered on the placard.

I saved all those cantina alien mugshot pics from the official site way back in the day...

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 14, 2021, 08:29 AM »

I saved all those cantina alien mugshot pics from the official site way back in the day...

That’s the one!  I’m still a little surprised that the official site put that out. 

The short version seems to be that these two aren’t going to happen via licensed channels.  And it seems like fertile ground for some of the people that have been selling figure kits.  I wonder if they've considered trying to tackle these two?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 08:39 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback