Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?  (Read 238548 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?
« Reply #720 on: September 14, 2021, 10:54 AM »
I have great love for Derryl DePriest.  The dude 100% got it.  I mean, he got Willrow Frickin Hood and so many other obscure folks into action figure form because he understood collectors and what "world building" meant.  I didn't always agree with everything they did, but man things were so much better when he was still at Hasbro.

Steve Evans had a lot of that same passion... but he took over at a time where things were already rapidly changing in the "profitability model" that the toy lines needed to meet.  He did a lot but was always sort of limited in what he could offer because of "profit margin goals" and increasing license cost when Disney came on board for the sequel license.  I know a lot of folks hated a lot of the 5POA stuff, but it did allow for some great stuff to supplement the 3.75" SA stuff.

Patrick?  I've never met him or talked with him in person thanks to the lack of cons (and in all honesty the fact that JediDefender doesn't have the "insta" presence needed to be in the "fan site Q&A circle " any longer :().  Watching the live-streams, I kinda agree with Nick.  He definitely comes across like he's selling "iconic" products to consumers and doesn't really understand what "world building" is.

I agree with what Muftak said too - because of increasing cost-controls, profit margin goals, labor costs and more so much of the line these days is "what can we build with the parts we have".  That's like the whole basis of the "Gaming Greats" line.  Where it fails for me is when you end up with a "Gaming Great" figure of 3.75" Purge Trooper.... but you don't have the main character from that game in 3.75" form?  I mean... what is the point?  That's not world building, that's just making a widget and hoping collectors buy it because it looks cool.

I find myself buying less and less each year.  I skip most of the "carbonized" or gimmick repaints.  I have been skipping most of the repacks unless there is something substantially new (parts or deco).  I have started selling off some stuff that no longer brings me joy.  It does make me sad that something that was a HUGE part of my life and led me to so many great people who are now my friends is dying... but I am also keenly aware that I have been doing this for 25 years and all good thing end eventually.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 14, 2021, 12:09 PM »
I agree with what Muftak said too - because of increasing cost-controls, profit margin goals, labor costs and more so much of the line these days is "what can we build with the parts we have".  That's like the whole basis of the "Gaming Greats" line.  Where it fails for me is when you end up with a "Gaming Great" figure of 3.75" Purge Trooper.... but you don't have the main character from that game in 3.75" form?  I mean... what is the point?  That's not world building, that's just making a widget and hoping collectors buy it because it looks cool.

This is something that I took notice of, as well.  And I don't even have a gaming console.  For there to be a Gaming Greats line that does not include the main character(s) of Jedi Fallen Order seems like a tremendous failing.  You make two troopers but not Cal Cestis?  Or the Second Sister?

I feel very much the same about both Derryl and Steve.  Both are very good guys who understand Star Wars and have a deep passion for it.  But the business landscape shifted in such big ways.  How the industry is performing as a whole; the transformation of retail; globalization and the resulting impact on manufacturing.  I suspect that Hasbro shifted Steve over to Marvel because the data indicated there was more that he could do with that franchise given its profitability compared to Star Wars.

I also feel like I'm on a downward slope with things.  Personal considerations are a big factor there.  Feeling like I am inundated with "stuff" is another part of it.  And time just keeps marching on.  I've been selling a lot of stuff over the past few years and there's still lots more to go.  Just reclaiming space in my house has felt like a small victory.  And decreasing the footprint feels good.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 12:10 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #722 on: September 14, 2021, 01:04 PM »
I'm with you guys nearly 100%.  The lack of passion from the Hasbro Star wars team is killing the passion a lot of collectors have.  I love a lot of what the TVC is putting out.  That troop builder pack looks awesome, the new Lobot and Bib Fortuna....they're making new tooling on OT figures for the first time in years!  That give me hope for the line.  I like the gaming greats figures, even though we don't have a Cal Kestis yet...hell I want a figure of him and the rest of the crew from that game!  I'm hoping we hear the announcement for them soon.

If I'm wrong and the TVC is in it's sunset, then it's been a good 40+ year run.  There are some interesting Force FX Lightsabers I could purchase from Hasbro, or my collecting habits might go down a different path....Helmets, and the prop replicas I have are great and could add to them down the road.  My company is expanding into the Florida Space coast and my wife really wants us to move.  She's tossed out the idea of having Disney Annual passes or me buying a boat (Like I couldn't go to Bass Pro this afternoon and purchase a boat).   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 20, 2021, 09:29 AM »
I've been opening old carded figures and toys lately that have been packed away for years and years.  Right now I'm opening The Saga Collection from 2006.

Patrick needs to find these figures, look at this line, and study the whole execution of it.  Its soo perfectly sublime.

Each handful of figures are in a theme (e.g. "world building") that all work so well together.  The first handful are Jabba's palace, then you've got Hoth and ESB, AOTC, and it just keeps rolling.  I know we'll never see it again with the included stand, mini holo figures, and random accessories.  But the way they picked and chose highly articulated figures, kid play features, more limited articulation was absolutely fantastic.

There is still so much unmined material from the last five movies, The Mandalorian, etc.  If Hasbro could find a way to stop the repaints/repacks and get a passionate product manager to world build the right way we might be able to return to something resembling this line.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 22, 2021, 02:52 PM »

I find myself buying less and less each year.  I skip most of the "carbonized" or gimmick repaints.  I have been skipping most of the repacks unless there is something substantially new (parts or deco).  I have started selling off some stuff that no longer brings me joy.  It does make me sad that something that was a HUGE part of my life and led me to so many great people who are now my friends is dying... but I am also keenly aware that I have been doing this for 25 years and all good thing end eventually.

Honestly, it is kind of nice to see others feeling the fatigue a little bit. Like you said, after 20-25 years of this, and space dwindling, and prices rising, it was bound to happen.

I have been buying less and less as well, and honestly if I only collected Star Wars it would be a very small buy pile for the year. I don’t really care about the repaints/carbonized/credit or the video game stuff, and I’m selective with Black Series. I want them to “finish the 96”, and will be there for all of it. I also think I’d be ok if they just shifted the line to Mando/Boba/current Disney Plus stuff beyond that. Don’t get me wrong, OT always has/will be my jam, but we’ve gotten a lot of stuff. I still don’t know why the Mandalorian didn’t have its own dedicated line, it is so “toyetic”, and they really missed the boat on this.

All the things everyone has mentioned is true. Just not as much excitement or enthusiasm around Star Wars toys. And a lot of complaining. My other main interest is Marvel Legends, and their brand team is so excited, engaged, and there are new announcements basically weekly. It might be a thing where Disney/Lucasfilm is tying their hands, but I don’t see why we still haven’t seen so many characters from Season 2, let alone Season 1 of the Mandalorian. It is the most excited (United?) the fan base has been in a while, and it has been a slow drip. I know we will see them eventually, but even Hot Toys has shown/teased more of that stuff. The Star Wars line definitely needs a shot in the arm though.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 22, 2021, 08:53 PM »
25 years in and an actual NEW figure if an actual NEW character still is a lot of fun for me.

The carbonized and the gimmicks and the prototypes… not so much.  They feel like a chore more than a hobby.  But I’m in too deep and it’s too complete if a collection for me to ever alter how I do things.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 22, 2021, 10:37 PM »
And a lot of complaining.

I will admit I basically only check here, Yakface, and Reddit for toy news these days, but I have to disagree with this a bit. The only complaining I tend to see either has to do with stock/availability, or the fact that we get a ton of repaints now.

I feel like we've come a loooooooooooong way from the days of complaining about action features, screaming headsculpts, 5POA vs super articulation, case ratios and pegwarmers, or the color of Hoth Han's coat. :P
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #727 on: September 23, 2021, 09:57 AM »
I feel like we've come a loooooooooooong way from the days of complaining about action features, screaming headsculpts, 5POA vs super articulation, case ratios and pegwarmers, or the color of Hoth Han's coat. :P

Don't forget the carded vs loose debates.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #728 on: September 23, 2021, 05:25 PM »
Free those figures!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #729 on: September 23, 2021, 05:33 PM »
You’re just not looking in the right places for dumb complaining.  There’s still plenty of it haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 23, 2021, 07:28 PM »
You’re just not looking in the right places for dumb complaining.  There’s still plenty of it haha.

One of the newest bits of whining that I heard about is that the new Endor Leia doesn’t have ball jointed wrists.  Have you seen just how small those wrists are????

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #731 on: September 23, 2021, 09:26 PM »
Same place mad Luke’s helmet doesn’t come off despite the ease of head swapping that figure? 

Same place claiming credit for these droids figures getting made like he’s an “insider”?

The collectorate definitely has lots of dumb to offer for sure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 23, 2021, 09:39 PM »
While figures have recently been in short supply, dumb is always plentiful. 

Feedback

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 25, 2021, 04:50 PM »
I've gone through the highs and lows but the lull in passion never got to where i wanted to ditch the 3.75" collection. Gone is the neuroticism of the early years.

Personal interest has been at high for me the last few years to the point I bought a lot of key figures I missed or ships I skipped when they came out. (Thank the almighty I started this before prices took a massive jump.)

It's funny; i buy the toys to relive the movies. Now I youtube collectors picking up older toys to relive the buzz I got from when i bought those same toys. Haha.

Online Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 15, 2021, 10:51 AM »
Interesting article in the NY Times today about bots and Sneakerheads.

It goes in to detail about how these bots can complete purchases in seconds, and scoop up tons of stock before a real user can even complete the checkout process.  I don't know how much of this might be used in the SW toy world where stock numbers are much, much higher, but it illustrates the point if someone applies these bot purchase tools they could clear out a vendor's stock really really quickly if the vendor doesn't have good anti-bot software.