Author Topic: 2019 Kenner Retro Collection - Star Wars  (Read 51905 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Kenner Retro Collection
« Reply #105 on: July 9, 2019, 01:13 PM »
The Target exclusive store stock has come and gone, apparently they never meant to have them in the toy department at all. They were always meant to be part of the Father's Day merch, and were clearanced out for 1/4 of the price the week after.

In the fall they will be available through "fan channels" which I would assume means "not returning to Target."

The thing I am wondering about is--wasn't the "Escape the Death Star" set solicited at Toy Fair as not a Target exclusive? Shouldn't it have shown up other places already if that were the case? It didn't disappear after Father's Day, so was it miss-communicated somehow?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #106 on: July 9, 2019, 09:51 PM »
I think it’s still available.  Never saw word it clearanced.  I got one first day cuz it was all I wanted and I lucked upon it in the gaming aisle and there was only one.  Never saw it in a store otherwise.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2019, 03:44 AM »
The Targets in Chicago that I stop in all have the board game still, at least half a dozen each.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2019, 08:49 AM »
I haven't seen a single one of the carded figures in a store.  I picked up the Escape the Death Star game with Tarkin, and that's been it for my interest in the Retro Collection.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2019, 10:16 AM »
I saw the figures the first week of release in my area, and I was able to grab the ones I wanted. The board game is still on shelves here as well.

My (muddled and muddied) question really was: wasn't the board game solicited as a general release and not only as a Target exclusive?

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2019, 12:31 PM »
My (muddled and muddied) question really was: wasn't the board game solicited as a general release and not only as a Target exclusive?

Yes.

STAR WARS ESCAPE FROM DEATH STAR BOARD GAME
(HASBRO/Ages: 8 years & up/Players: 2-4/Approx. Retail Price: $19.99/Available: May 2019)
Available at most major retailers.

There was a bit of confusion when these were announced.  At the Toy Fair presentation they said "Target Exclusive" but what they really meant was that Target was getting an exclusive early release window and then they'd also be available later in a wider release.

The individual carded figures probably won't be back at Target (or Walmart) and will probably just be "fan channel" in the Fall (on or after Triple Force Friday, October 4th).

The Tarkin Death Star board game is open for anyone to order and it sounds like it will see wider retail release at specialty stores, book/game stores, Target, on-line, etc from now until Christmas time.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Not like it's a hard to find item...all the Targets in my area have them in stock.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2019, 05:20 PM »
Agreed, it's a pretty easy find here as well. But that's why I'm worried about its future availability.

The reason for my question is a worry that if this "Tarkin & Board Game" set are coming in bigger numbers later, they will probably not sell at all at other stores since Target seems to already have met demand. Couple that with my fear that Hasbro will only make "new" Retro figures in a $20 upsell format like this, and we come to a place where this is deemed a "failure" because everyone else will be left with little to no sales, which will leave Hasbro with no orders for the Sandtrooper or Rebel Trooper or Uncle Owen set that's being planned as we speak.

(I've got collector PTSD...they give me something I like, and I feel it's destined to be discontinued.) 

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2019, 05:05 PM »
The individual carded figures probably won't be back at Target (or Walmart) and will probably just be "fan channel" in the Fall (on or after Triple Force Friday, October 4th).

In SWAN's interview with Hasbro, Sam indicates that Target is indeed done with the Retro Collection at retail. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2019, 05:14 PM »

In SWAN's interview with Hasbro, Sam indicates that Target is indeed done with the Retro Collection at retail.

From that answer I couldn't figure out if he means this round or at all... because they seem to be popular, but if Target isn't interested in carrying them at all that might mean the experiment isn't going to last as long as I thought it might...

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2019, 06:04 PM »

From that answer I couldn't figure out if he means this round or at all... because they seem to be popular, but if Target isn't interested in carrying them at all that might mean the experiment isn't going to last as long as I thought it might...

I took it to mean that the Target order was fulfilled and sold through and that Target was not interested in another order. While it doesn’t necessarily mean they wouldn’t order a new wave, past experience tells me to agree with you, the retro experiment is likely done.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2019, 11:58 AM »
Up for Pre-Order at site sponsor Entertainment Earth:

Star Wars The Retro Collection Action Figures Wave 1 Case - Set of 6 - $63.99

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2019, 12:02 PM »
Disappointed that they're not doing individual figures for now... I'm only missing Vader and the Stormtrooper.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2019, 12:42 PM »
I like that the e-tailers are all listing these as wave 1. :)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2019, 12:53 PM »
I don't like that I can't order a Vader and Stormtrooper without ordering a case.   :(