Author Topic: Droid Depot - 3.75" Color Changing Droids  (Read 16105 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Droid Depot - 3.75" Color Changing Droids
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 12:51 AM »
wonder if the color sticks once you put them under, or if the color fades as the figure warms up then.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 09:48 AM »
I doubt it could work that way, but I can give it a try tonight and see.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 07:47 PM »
Trying to think about the old stormtrooper with the color change battle damage...  Don't recall if it could reactivate just by the temp or what.  I seem to remember some diecast cars that had this paint when I was a kid, and  you could change the color just by touching them, though water was the main thing to use.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 10:49 PM »
Trying to think about the old stormtrooper with the color change battle damage...  Don't recall if it could reactivate just by the temp or what.  I seem to remember some diecast cars that had this paint when I was a kid, and  you could change the color just by touching them, though water was the main thing to use.

I have a bunch of those Stormtroopers on my Endor shelf.  My office is fairly well regulated temperature wise, but the battle damage does come and go sometimes.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 11:14 AM »
So it seems that it did stay in the new color after it got back to room temperature.  I was surprised at a) how fast it changed color, and b) that it stayed instead of going back.  This is probably because the Zartan that changed color in the sun was my last color changing toy that I never messed with, and that was close to 30 years ago.

My wife picked it up after it was room temperature and squeezed it with her hand and it did start to lighten up where she'd applied pressure.

Before:

Dunk:

30 or so minutes later:

Next morning:

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 09:11 PM »
How do you get them to change back again?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 11:18 PM »
How do you get them to change back again?

My guess would that you could put them in warm water, probably let the tap run on "hot" for a few minutes, get warm to the touch and then "dunk" the figure again.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline indysolo007

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2019, 12:27 PM »
How long do they stay for the changed color? Most reviews I’ve seen have showed the defaults being the non-specific droid colors ie red r2, blue bb8, black 3p0, imperial chopper.

But none of the reviews show how long the colors remain in place. My guess would be the room temperature influences the color at the time.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 12:36 PM »
Mine from the photos has been orange for two days, but I can check tonight when I get home to confirm.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 06:40 PM »
Can you try dipping it in very warm water?

Offline indysolo007

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2019, 10:53 PM »
I need your friend! Mine are useless haha

These are taking me back to the days of slimed ghostbusters and hotwheels cars

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 08:23 AM »
So it looks like this has sorta been talked about but I'm just thinking I'd like to have one of these. Are any of the droids default to a unique droid? And Rob how long did the CZ droid stay orange?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2020, 09:27 AM »
Thanks for the visuals Rob!  These are pretty cool, though I do wonder about submersing a figure in water.  My concern is that water would get into the joints and beyond, eventually causing mold or other issues with the figure.  Can you get the same effect just by putting the figure in the freezer?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 9, 2021, 12:49 AM »
I've had my mint-in-box sets of these for quite a while, but since they started being available on the Disney Shop@Home app on the 4th of January, I went ahead and grabbed openers to add to my obsessive Build-a-Droid collection.

I originally didn't think I would be that "thrilled" with these, after all, I would much rather have the excellent Droid Factory Chopper from Rebels, PERMANENTLY painted in the Imperial Deco, released as a single carded figure much like the regular deco version was released at SWCO back in 2017.

But I'm actually having a lot of fun letting the cool dry air of my basement keep the figures in their "cold" colors and then occasionally holding them in front of the space-heater I have at my desk to put them in their "warm" color state.

So if you were thinking about these, but the eBay prices were keeping you away from scoring them, they can be had for their $40 park price right now at shop.disney.com

Set 1 - https://www.shopdisney.com/color-changing-droid-action-figure-set-star-wars-galaxys-edge-400020990426.html?isProductSearch=0&plpPosition=10&guestFacing=Collections-Uniquely%2520Disney-Parks%2520Inspired-Star%2520Wars%2520Trading%2520Post
Set 2 - https://www.shopdisney.com/color-changing-droid-action-figure-set-2-star-wars-galaxys-edge-400020990433.html?isProductSearch=0&plpPosition=9&guestFacing=Collections-Uniquely%2520Disney-Parks%2520Inspired-Star%2520Wars%2520Trading%2520Post
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2021, 09:34 PM »
I finally polished off these color changing droids thanks to them being available online at the Disney store.  :)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."