Author Topic: 2021 Kenner Retro Collection - The Mandalorian  (Read 10017 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Kenner Retro Collection - The Mandalorian
« Reply #45 on: July 7, 2021, 12:10 PM »
I finally got a shipping notice from Hasbro Pulse for these.   ;D

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #46 on: July 7, 2021, 11:44 PM »
Mine are on the way as well.  I'm not sure free shipping is worth it when Hasbro Pulse ships them so much later than everyone else.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 7, 2021, 11:49 PM »
I’ve been canceling my Pulse preorders one at a time as I find them elsewhere… but Cara Dune I never found anywhere else, and now it’s shipped.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 8, 2021, 10:07 AM »
I’ve been canceling my Pulse preorders one at a time as I find them elsewhere… but Cara Dune I never found anywhere else, and now it’s shipped.

It's a nice looking figure, I already have one to keep carded but I'm looking forward to having an opener.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2021, 12:56 PM »
I finally got all 7 of these from my Pulse order.  They shipped them in a huge 2' by 1' box, all completely loose with a big stack of air pocket fillers.  As you can imagine, the cards did not arrive all that minty.   ::)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2021, 05:21 PM »
The saga of Jayson's efforts to spoil all Hasbro's reveals continues!

From Twitter @Yak_Face - Retro Mando Wave 2 rumor:

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
Re: Kenner Retro Collection - The Mandalorian
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2021, 10:37 PM »
I'm in!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 1, 2021, 09:38 AM »
Yes please
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2021, 12:47 PM »
So these were officially revealed today, and I really like them. Don’t get me wrong, I love the TVC style of figures, and would love to see the original 96 finished (or more focus on the line in general), but things being what they are I sometimes wonder if they shouldn’t just make “retro” the main line at this scale. Simpler to make, cheaper (keep them at $9.99 max), and just churn out a wave of six 4-5 times a year. Heck, repack the big guns like Mando throughout the lines just like they did Vader, Chewie, etc back in the day. Simplify things. We have seen things succeed, or at least get a lot of love, that get back to just being “toys for all ages” like MOTU Origins, the Ghostbusters main line, etc….do the same for Star Wars.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2021, 01:08 PM »
Pass

Releasing retro collection figures of characters like the Re-armored Boba Fett before a TVC version is a reminder of the old Hasbro double dip.  For years they would string collectors along by making figures of a character that were kind of inferior.  Over time they would gradually improve the releases, but not before they got you to buy 3 or 4 sub-par versions of that character.  Look at the Saga line from 2002 - 2004 with some core characters - the initial ones were garbage, and they slowly got better.  And that seemed to be by design in order to get you to buy the next, better version of Obi-Wan Kenobi or Anakin Skywalker.  Hasbro already did this with Kuiil and IG-11 in the Retro Collection - Retro came first, but then WAIT, check out these TVC versions!  And now they're doing it with The Mandalorian versions of Boba Fett and Ahsoka - arguably two of the most popular characters in the franchise.  I'm not biting.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2021, 01:17 PM »
I sometimes wonder if they shouldn’t just make “retro” the main line at this scale. Simpler to make, cheaper (keep them at $9.99 max), and just churn out a wave of six 4-5 times a year.

No thank you.  :)

Releasing retro collection figures of characters like the Re-armored Boba Fett before a TVC version is a reminder of the old Hasbro double dip.  For years they would string collectors along by making figures of a character that were kind of inferior.  Over time they would gradually improve the releases, but not before they got you to buy 3 or 4 sub-par versions of that character.  Look at the Saga line from 2002 - 2004 with some core characters - the initial ones were garbage, and they slowly got better.  And that seemed to be by design in order to get you to buy the next, better version of Obi-Wan Kenobi or Anakin Skywalker.  Hasbro already did this with Kuiil and IG-11 in the Retro Collection - Retro came first, but then WAIT, check out these TVC versions!  And now they're doing it with The Mandalorian versions of Boba Fett and Ahsoka - arguably two of the most popular characters in the franchise.  I'm not biting.

Agree 100%  They know very well what they are doing putting TM Boba and Ahsoka in here before they get TVC.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2021, 01:19 PM »
Love em. I'd buy these before or after TVC versions so I don't care what order they release them. They are getting my money twice either order.
I hope we get an OT (new sculpts) or even PT or ST wave of these soon.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2021, 01:22 PM »
Yeah that’s what Super 7 did with ReAction, then they lost Funko and raised the price to $14.99 before raising it again to $17.99.  I get that they’re a small company but…

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2021, 01:32 PM »

Agree 100%  They know very well what they are doing putting TM Boba and Ahsoka in here before they get TVC.

I hate to be so cynical about this.  But Hasbro is so obviously trying to cash in by preying on collector FOMO.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 01:32 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2021, 01:40 PM »
Is there anyone here on JD who will buy this Retro Fett and Ahsoka only "just in case" they don't make TVC versions?

I buy there are plenty who will buy full wave because they need everything. So they'll be buying Bo Katan etc too

I also find it sorta funny to think Hasbro thinks what they are doing is some sort of secret. I think they often say "hey completist! We know you'll buy this!". No secret
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 01:42 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within