Author Topic: Stranger Things - Netflix  (Read 19746 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: Stranger Things - Netflix
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2019, 09:53 AM »
One of my complaints is Will and the lack of development with him this season.  To be vague to avoid spoilers, he just had the one scene with Lucas and Mike and pretty much the rest of the time he was in the background rubbing his neck at times.  I just wonder if this is a flaw with having such a large ensemble cast? 

My wife and I discussed this angle as well.  Eight 40 minute episodes is fairly short to develop characters when you've got so many.

I think they've either got to write some characters out of the script or add in more content, although I would prefer the former. 

I've always liked the Nancy (and Jonathan) storyline.  They spent a little time on it this season, but then it felt like they just kind of dropped it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 04:26 PM by Dave »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2019, 01:13 PM »
I think they've either got to write some out of the script or add in more content, although I would prefer the former. 

I've always liked the Nancy (and Jonathan) storyline.  They spent a little time on it this season, but then it felt like they just kind of dropped it.

Yeah, I don't know their process in getting the plot down, but I agree that it's getting too large.  The addition of Max in S2 was great.  She added a new dynamic to the established group.  But Billy... not so.  It seemed like they wanted to expand Mrs Wheeler's role this season, then reign it in.  And then they added to the cast again this year, which I enjoyed the character... though one aspect about the character was rather far-fetched. 

Anyway... should we set a date for when we can discuss this openly (aka with spoilers).  Perhaps this Saturday (22nd)?  I feel that most of us who are into the show should have wrapped this up by then.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2019, 04:27 PM »
Anyway... should we set a date for when we can discuss this openly (aka with spoilers).  Perhaps this Saturday (22nd)?  I feel that most of us who are into the show should have wrapped this up by then.

I think two weeks from release seems like a reasonable amount to start talking spoilers.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2019, 04:47 PM »
I feel Billy is needed in this "80s" show. When they 180'd Steve's character they needed a replacement of sorts.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 04:47 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2022, 07:48 PM »
So far S4 has been amazing. Loving the horror vibe and the Vecna origin/reveal was perfect. Max the whole season was wonderful. I am counting the days to July 1
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2022, 11:57 AM »
Agreed, I've been enjoying it for what it is.  I'm confused about the point of holding back on two episodes instead of just releasing it all a few weeks later, but here we are.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2022, 03:38 PM »
It’s been so good this season, aside from the dumb jocks who we really do not ever need to see again unless they are all getting killed please.

Dude who plays 001 was really creepy and excellent I thought.

So what is the significance of Will’s painting? At first I assumed it was probably of Vecna or something but now it seems like it might be something else.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2022, 05:06 PM »
It’s been so good this season, aside from the dumb jocks who we really do not ever need to see again unless they are all getting killed please.

Dude who plays 001 was really creepy and excellent I thought.

So what is the significance of Will’s painting? At first I assumed it was probably of Vecna or something but now it seems like it might be something else.

Yeah, it's been a good season.  I figured out that the aide was 001.. but missed the connection to Vecna.

The jocks.  I think their role was to play into the whole hysteria at the time that D&D is a satanic cult and that evil needs to be rooted out because jock's girlfriend became a Bend 'Ems figure while at Eddie's house, who happens to host a D&D group at school called the Hellfire Club, hence Eddie is a hell-spawn (along with Dustin, Lucas, & Mike).

Will's painting is a subject of speculation and there have been hints scattered in the season that Will is gay/has a crush on Mike.  But I'm sure it will be revealed in the next two episodes whether this speculation is true.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 05:07 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2022, 11:16 AM »
I'm one episode in and think it's cool so far.  I really cringed at the end scene with the cheerleader.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2022, 11:28 AM »
That thought occurred to me too, P-Siddy. Not sure how that would fit into the story, but it adds up.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 5, 2022, 09:21 AM »
My family and I made it through the whole season.  Solid, but not spectacular.

I felt there was a lot of slowness to this season and some stronger editing could have been used.  I liked the Hopper/Joyce/Murray/Enzo storyline the best.  That crew was funny and the storyline was fairly tight.

I'm worried the next season is going to start in right where this one ended.  My biggest complaint about child actors is that at some point its clear that they're grown ass adults trying to play 14 year old kids and it just looks weird.  It'd be nice if they could have found a way to build more time in to the timeline and have the kids be seniors or maybe even just out of high school.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2022, 09:27 AM by Dave »

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 5, 2022, 10:10 AM »
They've already announced that season 5 will have a significant time leap.

I thought this season was brilliant. Probably better than S1 but I'll always like S1 most as it's 1. Kinda like ANH over ESB.

I was super impressed with so many of the actors this season 

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 5, 2022, 11:45 AM »
Maybe it was the three+ story lines with the team all spread apart, and at the end it was essentially five different groups.  It felt a little disjointed at times and the comradery, humor, and sexual tension seemed to be lacking compared to previous seasons.    And I never really felt much for Eddie getting pulled in to the crew.  In previous seasons the addition of Lucas, Max, Robin, Murray, Sean Astin, etc. felt a lot more seamless and interesting.

I also got a little tired with the Robin love interest story line. They're dealing with an upside down apocalypse and they keep bringing in that story thread.  It was funny last season when Steve had a mini-crush on her and they revealed her orientation, but this season it wasn't that interesting.

I missed some of the 80s kitsch too that seemed to be a lot more prevalent in previous seasons.  The roller rink was fun, but that seemed to mostly it.

I still very much enjoyed the season, but I thought previous seasons were stronger.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 5, 2022, 01:57 PM »
I loved it but in hindsight I think it would have been better to either drop them one at a time or all at once. The break before the last 2 episodes sort of fueled some added expectations that were hard to match in the end. Hardly anything of note happened in 8, and ultimately it felt like the finale was a little flat too, in the sense that nothing much was actually accomplished and the implied body count ended up being one.

Dave, if you rewatch it you may catch more of the 80’s schtick, I thought there was a lot there throughout, mostly film references. We got Conan, Halloween, and The Thing just in the finale alone!  :)

I don’t disagree it felt a little disjointed at times, but probably hard not to when there are so many storylines going on. The only one I really didn’t like was all the stuff with the jocks. I wouldn’t have missed it if they took everything out with those a-holes.

So many high points this season though…El splitting that horrible bully’s face open with the roller skate, Lucas finally pounding that jock kid at the end, Eddie’s most metal concert ever, and those absolutely heartbreaking scenes with Will and Mike, just a lot of great action, acting, and writing.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 5, 2022, 03:02 PM »
I really liked the closure I felt Eleven and Brenner got in E8. I guess I should say closure Eleven got in leaving Brenner without any.

I could have done without the jocks but I also think they served their purpose well.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2022, 03:09 PM by GrandMoffNick »