Author Topic: Toys R Us (Or: Die, Dinosaur, Die!)  (Read 104649 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Toys R Us (Or: Die, Dinosaur, Die!)
« Reply #240 on: June 22, 2019, 11:17 AM »
There appear to be some signs of life!  Toys 'R' Us plans to return in the United States

The article seems to indicate that the new store locations will be significantly smaller, possibly something that would work in a mall setting.  Starting with only two locations is notable because you've got to think that TruKids will launch very strategically and with locations that will give it some level of profile.

With the American Dream Mall set to open in East Rutherford, NJ some time later this year, I'm kind of wondering if they're considering that for a location?  It's going to be one of the two largest malls in the United States.  And it's also supposed to have a Nickelodeon Universe theme park, a concept that would lend itself heartily to a toy store.

The numbers are also interesting:  two stores for the launch.  The company that owns / is developing American Dream is also the company behind the Mall of America in Minnesota, which is on record as the biggest mall in the country and ALSO had a Nickelodeon Universe theme park.  And the Mall of America, which is pretty well known nationally, would make for a solid second location.

All of this, combined with the New Jersey location being close to Paramus, NJ (the highest grossing town for retailers in the United States) gives me a some degree of hope that these could be the places where TruKids relaunches.  Depending on how these test locations perform, it could have significant impact on the rollout for the rest of the chain.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 19, 2019, 03:35 PM »
The first two locations for the reborn Toys R Us in the U.S. have been announced.  And I was on point about the general vicinity of one of them, which will be in Paramus, NJ (about 5 miles from where I predicted).  The other location will be in Houston, TX.  They're set to open in time for the holiday season this year, and more stores are reportedly in the works for 2020.

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 22, 2019, 01:24 PM »
Live, Dinosaur, Live?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 22, 2019, 01:58 PM »
It sounds like it’s going to be a leaner and more efficient dinosaur....
Or so the theory goes.  I’m curious to see how quickly they add more locations.

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 24, 2019, 11:27 AM »
So TRU is turning into an Apple store?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #245 on: October 8, 2019, 10:16 AM »
You’ll be able to shop at Toys R Us online again — thanks to a little help from Target.

In the last year Target has partnered with EE, Disney, and now TRU Kids all in an effort to strengthen their toy segment (across kids and adult collector markets).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 8, 2019, 10:44 AM »
The NJ location has a hiring event in the next week.  I suspect they're going to be up and running some time next month.  And while I thought they were going to be called TRU Kids, they're keeping the brand name as Toys R Us.

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 1, 2019, 12:08 PM »
The two announced store locations are set to open this month.  No word on an official date yet.

Also in the news:  Toys R Us Adventure Land.  One of these locations has already opened in Chicago.  It's clearly going to be focused on experiences.

And ToysRUs.com has already re-launched.

Feedback

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 1, 2019, 07:29 PM »
The Chicago one is a few blocks from my office.  I walk by it all the time.  When they started putting the signage up I got all excited thinking it was a Michigan Ave. store location for the holidays...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 27, 2019, 10:22 AM »
The first store is set to open this Saturday in Paramus, NJ.  The second will open in Houston, TX next month.  And some 20 stores are projected to open across the U.S. by the end of 2020.

I had thought that they might do a soft opening some time this week, but I haven't heard anything to that effect.  And the fact that they're opening the day AFTER Black Friday seems like they might have hit at least a couple of stumbling blocks with launching the new stores.

CNBC - Toys R Us is back. Here’s a look inside its first new store
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 10:23 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 27, 2019, 06:37 PM »
I'll be in Houston early December and expected it open by then based on articles I read earlier. Even though it's nowhere near the size of what a typical TRU was, it still would be fun to see.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 27, 2019, 07:58 PM »
I’d rather go visit a real one up in Canada.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 2, 2019, 09:15 AM »
So I went to the new store in NJ on opening day.  Quick thoughts?

It's VERY different from previous TRU stores.
-No rows upon rows of shelving
-Very experience oriented - toy demos, photo ops, play areas, costumed characters (Paw Patrol, Super Mario & Geoffrey the Giraffe were all on hand)
-Hasbro Star Wars stock was limited - a fair amount of role play (lightsabers, masks), a fair representation from Galaxy of Adventures and only a handful of TVC and TBS figures
-About a 4' section of LEGO Star Wars

Surprisingly?  ZERO Marvel Legends.  Not sure if I even saw any Transformers.

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 2, 2019, 09:59 AM »
That's great that you got to go check it out, thanks for giving us the lowdown from a collector's perspective. From the descriptions I have heard it sounds a lot like the Toy City pop-ups from last year as far as available stuff. I guess there is only so much stock you can get your hands on in a low-volume situation like that, even with a Toy Fair presence. I know when I was working for Little Tikes the big guys' orders always took precedent over the little ones. Funny how TrU is now the little guy.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 2, 2019, 10:17 AM »
I had no excuse not going, especially since this store is about 10 miles from my home.  This store was WAY more kid-centric than collector oriented.  The Toy City pop-ups were more like the old TRU Express if I was to compare them.

Images HERE and HERE

Feedback