Author Topic: Galactic Heroes Thread  (Read 352279 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Playskool Galactic Heroes Thread
« Reply #735 on: September 1, 2007, 02:22 AM »
I'm so hopelessly addicted to this line that I'll be buying all of the cinema scenes - I want every single figure, new and repaint.  When I end up with doubles, I put them in a box in my Star Wars room and let my daughter pick one out to add to her own collection as a little reward for something she's done well at home. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #736 on: September 1, 2007, 05:38 AM »
I found the new TRU sets yesterday as well, and yeah, it's tough to stomach buying so many rehashes just to get one or two new exclusive figures in these things (just like the prior sets with the Shadowtrooper and Impy Astromech).  Ugh.  I actually haven't gotten around to opening any of my prior 2-pack sets yet (from the last several years), so I may do what CCG mentioned, and ditch a few of those if they're completely covered in one or more of the Cinema Scenes.  CCG, know of any differences between the Snowtrooper and Hoth Rebel Troopers?  I don't have my 2-packs nearby to compare.  I guess I'll try to dig them out..

Fortunately, I only collect the OT Galactic Heroes, so at least I don't have to hassle with the Naboo one.  Still screwed on the remaining sets though, it looks like.  Saved a few bucks with their 15% off coupon though...

Hopefully most folks are able to eventually get the Target sets for (at least) half off.  I know a lot of people around here were able to do that last time around, so that'd definitely help ease the pain a little if it happened with this next batch too.  Is there just one Jabba's Palace set, or are there two connecting ones like the Cantina?  I'm brainfarting on that right now, but I'm guessing it's just the one.

Offline The Stolen CCG License

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 6, 2007, 09:29 AM »
I finally got around to looking, and as I thought I remembered they are all identical.  I actually don't mind throwing another Imperial snowtrooper in the mix (and a 2nd Taun-Taun is a huge plus), but that straight repacked Rebel soldier is a little bit of a shame.  The molded bushy beard is cute looking and all, but the Rebel troopers are the one area where having those bland GH faces to repaint a hundred different ways should have been a major plus.  Why couldn't he have just had a painted-on beard, like Qui-Gon, to later be repainted into some other silly face?  Would have been much more welcomed than a little snow deco on Vader's pants.  Ah well, at least there's hope the Endor soldier will get himself some painted-on facial hair or something for his own inevitable Cinema Scene re-release.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 13, 2007, 11:54 AM »
Still no sign of the TRU exclusive sets around here, just the same three "Vader and the Bounty Hunters" sets setting on the shelves.  Hopefully they'll show up soon - I'd like to get the Hoth one despite having the majority of the figures already.  I figure I can always use an extra Taun Taun though :P.  The latest wave (Endor Han/Logray, etc.) seems to be showing up a little more often now.  I've seen them at both Target and TRU.  Actually its the most I've seen stocked on the pegs (various waves) for awhile now, as these always seem to sell through pretty quickly.  I've said it before, but if the rest of the country has a similar sell through, these have to be doing pretty well as a line overall.  They're almost tougher to get a hold of than the basic figures here sometimes.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 16, 2007, 01:05 PM »
I finally finished the last wave (Duros and company) and look forward to the next. I picked up a naboo scene at TRU, but I can't pay $25 for a hoth leia and tauntaun for Han, and that's all I would be getting out of it  :-\

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 16, 2007, 07:10 PM »
Ya, those sets are tough to swallow even with the 10% 5th grader coupons, but they look spiffy in the packaging  :)  I missed out on the Playskool Wampa, Taun-Taun, and the Naboo Fighter so these were easily welcomed additions.  Qui-Gonn & Jar-Jar are really great additions as well...It just sucks that you openers have to get hosed into buying a complete set for 1-2 new figures.

I'm all caught up for now, which is always a good thing...What's next at bat?

Target Jabba scene
2x Cantina scenes ?? WM exclusive?
Luke/holo Yoda 2 pk...followed by?

a tad bit foggy on this stuff  :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #741 on: September 16, 2007, 08:01 PM »
What's next at bat?

Next Wave of 2-Packs:
- Barada & Weequay Skiff Guard
- Grand Moff Tarkin & Death Star Officer (Black Uniform)
- Endor Rebel Trooper & Princess Leia (Endor)
- Luke Skywalker/Yoda (Dagobah) & Obi-Wan Kenobi (Spirit)

Cinema Scenes:
- Cantina Band (Wal-Mart Exclusive)
- Cantina Encounter (Wal-Mart Exclusive)
- X-Wing Assault on the Death Star (Target Exclusive)
- Jabba's Palace (Target Exclusive)

Wal-Mart sets were planned for around October, the Target ones are planned for around November...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 08:02 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: September 17, 2007, 09:44 AM »
I ended up picking up the TRU exclusive Hoth set this weekend.  They only had one on the shelves (along with three older "Vader's Bounty Hunters" sets).  I'm debating how many of the other cinema scenes I want to pick up.  I'll definitely get the Jabba set, but beyond that I'm not sure.  They do look kind of nifty in this "diorama-ish" packaging.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: October 7, 2007, 07:23 PM »
I've yet to see the Naboo or Hoth sets, my local TRU just has Vader's Bounty Hunters.  Do I keep waiting and assume they'll make it here (which will cost a crapload more for shipping), or continue to wait (which could mean I'll never see them at all, which is unfortunately common up here)?  Argh.  :-\

[/Canadian bitchfest]

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: October 19, 2007, 11:06 AM »
Just as I get all caught up on the 3 3/4 stuff... No rest for the weary  :-\

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 11:22 AM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #745 on: October 19, 2007, 11:22 AM »
I be getting that Luke/Yoda and Obi-Wan set.  ;)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #746 on: October 19, 2007, 12:08 PM »
Damn, i thought those were part of the 2008 line. I wasnt expectingthem for a while.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #747 on: October 19, 2007, 02:15 PM »
Found them today at Wally World :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 22, 2007, 12:41 PM »
I didn't think these would be hitting so quickly either, but I'm glad to hear they are trickling out.  I've been trying to avoid WM until their exclusives hit, but I might have to stop and check things out now.  On a side note, I noticed at our local TRU they had a Naboo set on the shelves red-tagged for $17.90 because it was missing the Jar Jar figure.  I'm trying to avoid the prequel ones as much as possible, so I'm planning on skipping this, but it really stinks that people do stuff like this.  They have had 2 Hoth and 2 Naboo sets on the shelves every time I've been there though.

Offline The Stolen CCG License

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 22, 2007, 03:17 PM »
Damn, i thought those were part of the 2008 line. I wasnt expectingthem for a while.

My biggest problem with these is starting to become figuring out enough "occasions" for giving them to my oldest son.  I've been building up a giant stockpile in my closet in the meantime.  He's 3, and they are by far his favorite gift to get (he reached a big milestone with his chores and stuff right before a trip last weekend; my wife hinted that he might get a "big" reward... meaning the bounty hunter 10-pack we STILL hadn't gotten to... and he panicked, "no, no, I want a small reward, this big [thumb and index spaced to GH size]!"), but we're still running further and further behind.

I mean, not that that's a bad thing.  Keep 'em (the new ones, anyway) coming!  More Episode 1 in particular.  I'm looking forward to that rumored Jedi/Clones wave next year.