Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 213331 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: How's the weather?
« Reply #1260 on: December 2, 2007, 09:46 PM »
Meh, we've settled in.  Currently -21 C and no windchill, so that's nice.  Snowed yesterday and this morning which I combined into one shoveling binge. 

Forecast for the week is about the same as it has been for the past week: Not too cold, highs between -14/-20C, lots colder when it's windy.  When it's not windy it'll be snowing  ::) as it's forecast for at least tomorrow and Tuesday. 

Basic blech. But I'm off to San Diego on Saturday later this week, so I'll be walking around there in shorts with the locals looking at me like I'm nuts (they're right) and I'll be looking at them like they're pussies (I'm right).
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1261 on: December 4, 2007, 03:03 AM »
Pittsburgh got its first decent snow tonight...  Of course, I decided to take my mother X-Mas shopping this evening, which turned out to be fine heading out, but on the way home we got hit with white-out conditions about 10 miles from where I live or so...  Roads got bad very quickly, the snow was heavy/wet so it compacted and got slick quicker. 

Where the salt was, I have no idea.  They sort of thought snow was coming, so there was no real surprise here...  It was worse than expected, but still... 

Slid on a hill about 10 miles away then on the way home, got hung up slightly on the hillside, but pushed myself off.  People at the bottom weren't even trying to come up it, and with good reason.  No damage, no injuries, so I can't complain...  Just amazing how we were going along all fine with traffic, then bam we got slammed with a white-out and the snow went from mostly clear on the roads to about 3 to 5 inches lickity split. :)  The snow was so thick too it was really caking on under the car.  Kind of odd really, so I had to clean out the bottom when we stopped for some supper...  It was even causing the car to ride funny.

Good times...  I bet there's a big panic for bread now.  Woohoo!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: December 4, 2007, 10:08 AM »
We're getting pasted pretty well here in Rochester, New York.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: December 10, 2007, 12:46 AM »
The fluffy stuff is flying today.  Wheeeee!  Gotta go toboganning tomorrow.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: December 10, 2007, 12:54 AM »
We have some fluffy stuff coming down too & tomorrow I get to shovel it!  >:(

Warmed up here a bit, it's -3°C & staying around -6°C to -8°C during the week & -8°C to -15°C during the night thus far. I'll take that.

Offline tonphanan

• Jedi Initiate
  • " Has anyone seen my wits?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: December 10, 2007, 01:20 AM »
Got the first decent snow in the cities yesterday. Roads are icy tonite. suppose to be cold all week.
Throw an Ewok at him

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #1266 on: December 10, 2007, 05:42 PM »
CNN: More icy weather headed for Midwest

OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma (AP) -- A wintry storm caked the center of the nation with a thick layer of ice Monday, blacking out more than half a million homes and businesses. At least 13 people were killed on icy highways, and more icy weather was on the way.

A state of emergency was declared for the entire state of Oklahoma.

In Oklahoma City, the sound of branches snapping echoed through many neighborhoods.

"You can hear them falling everywhere," Lonnie Compton said Monday as he shoveled ice off his driveway. Video Watch people cope with ice, power outages »

The National Weather Service posted ice and winter storm warnings lasting until Tuesday morning for parts of Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa and Illinois. Missouri declared an emergency on Sunday and put the National Guard on alert.

Oklahoma utilities said some 400,000 customers were blacked out as power lines snapped under the weight of ice and falling tree branches, and utilities in Missouri said more than 100,000 homes and business had no power there.

Roughly 11,000 were blacked out in southern Illinois and more than 5,000 had no electric heat or lights in Kansas, where Gov. Kathleen Sebelius was expecting requests from several counties for emergency declarations.

Ice was as much as an inch thick on tree limbs and power lines in parts of Missouri.

Schools across Oklahoma were closed and some hospitals were relying on backup power generators. Fifty generators and three truckloads of bottled water were to be shipped to blacked-out areas of the state.

Tulsa International Airport had no power and halted flight operations, and most morning flights at Will Rogers World Airport in Oklahoma City were canceled because of icy runways. Greyhound bus passengers were stranded overnight at a shelter in a church in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and were joined by some local residents who had no heat.

There was no way to estimate when power might be restored, said Oklahoma Gas & Electric spokesman Gil Broyles.

"This is a big one. We've got a massive situation here and it's probably going to be a week to 10 days before we get power on to everybody," said Ed Bettinger, a spokesman for Public Service Company. "It looks like a war zone." Photo See dramatic photos of the deep freeze »

The Oklahoma City suburb of Jones, a town of 2,500 people, had low water pressure because there was no electricity to run well pumps, and firefighters said an early morning fire destroyed most of the community's high school.

The icy weather stretched into the Northeast, where many schools across upstate New York were closed or started late because of icy roads.

On ice-covered Interstate 40 west of Okemah, Oklahoma, four people died in "one huge cluster of an accident" that involved 11 vehicles, said Highway Patrol Trooper Betsey Randolph.

Eight other people also died on icy Oklahoma roads, and Missouri had one death on a slippery highway. In addition, a homeless person died of hypothermia in Oklahoma City, the state medical examiner's office said.

A lot of people around town are without power, but I still have power where I am, at least for the time bei
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: December 12, 2007, 06:16 PM »
i was going to bitch about how cold it is and that it hasn't stopped raining for days, but i guess its nice here compared to OK.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: December 12, 2007, 08:35 PM »
This morning was a bit of a surprise, it was 1°C & it snowed a bit overnight. Brushing the car off was great as the snow was wet & it cleaned all the crap from the roads off, a mushy drive into work tho. It was suppose to get to plus 2 today but that was very short lived, later in the day the wind picked up & with the blowing snow it felt cool. The drive home from work was the *****, more slushy roads & idiot drivers.

I shoveled when I got home as the temp was dropping, glad I did. Still blowing snow & -5°C, yep the drive to work tomorrow will be fun.  :-\

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: December 12, 2007, 09:03 PM »
It's been in the mid 80's the past couple of days :o.  It's supposed to dip back down into the 40's in the next day or two.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: December 13, 2007, 09:20 AM »
I sincerely hope that no one here is effected by all the power outages and the ice. That's gotta be rough.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: December 13, 2007, 11:31 AM »
Temp is dropping here.  Nowhere near as bad as you guys north of the Red River though.  We are supposed to be in teh 50's today, but I doubt it gets that warm. Probably sit in the mid 40's all day.

We are hitting that funny Texas cool spell for a week or two and then the temp will jump and down again.  I just hope in January it's not as cold as last year.  I played winter softball and the warmest night we played on the temp was about 37 or so.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: December 14, 2007, 07:34 AM »
We got hit with our first major snowstorm yesterday.  Starting snowing around 1pm.  Most businesses let people go at 2pm (including mine) to try to beat the traffic.  What an absolute ******* mistake that was.  I got home around 5:30.  3 ½ hours to do a commute that normally takes less than 30 minutes.  It sucked and blew at the same time.  Managed to get around 8 - 12" of the white stuff.  But hey, at least we get a break for two days before a Noreaster hits on Sunday.  Wonderful.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 07:37 AM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: December 16, 2007, 03:58 PM »
Very nice out today, sitting at 0°C & in the sun around 10°C. Just finished shoveling the skiff of snow we got last night & I tackled the snow on the garage pad that I have not done since it snowed. Was about a foot of snow on the pad so out came the snowblower, some parts of the pad was packed from driving on it & thick but being warm that just came off like nothing. Good for awhile now, temp is staying just below zero for the rest of the week & the long range forecast till next week is looking pretty damn good, tho that can change in no time.  ::)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: December 18, 2007, 03:19 AM »
Pretty consistent weather these days -- cloudy, high of 0oC, low of -1oC.  Tomorrow, same thing.  One thing I miss about living on the wide-open Prairies was the great amount of sun.  But living in a valley means clouds settle in here for long stretches at a time.