Author Topic: How do YOU Watch the STAR WARS Saga At Home?  (Read 7452 times)

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
How do YOU Watch the STAR WARS Saga At Home?
« on: December 19, 2005, 11:54 AM »
Hi Gang!

Like some of you, I built my "Home Theater" almost exclusively with viewings of the STAR WARS Saga in mind!!

I recently finished construction on it (just in time for the DVD release of  EPISODE III.

My wife and I live in an apartment in Brooklyn, NY,  and our funds are limited, so a full-blown dedicated "screening room" was not an option for us.  Instead we designed and converted our living room into a theater space and put in as much slick detail as we could.

This room still awaits wall to wall carpeting.

The Theater wall features, semi-circular "stage",   lit "cubby" spaces (awaiting carpeting), 119"-Wide archway opening, and "King Blue" velvet drapes and trim. 

All lighting in the room is linked to electronic dimmers.

A full 5.1 THX sound system is installed in the room:  A Denon AV Reciever sends sounds to two B&W CDM 7NT Series tower speakers (one on either side of the TV).

A third (smaller) 7NT is installed above the TV (as the center channel). 

The left and right surround speakers are B&W  CDM "In-Walls" (concealed behind two framed pictures on the back wall behind the couch). 

The sub-woofer is the small Sunfire "Super Junior"  9" cube.  It's tucked in a corner under one of the end tables.

The TV is a 70" Hitachi LCD.

Unfortunately, this TV being all Black does NOT photograph very well at all.  I tried everything.  But the more light I threw on it, the more glossy reflections I got on its flat surface.  You can even see the reflection of my table lamp in the lower right hand corner of the screen.

For this reason, I had to use photoshop to lighten the outer cabinet details of the TV so they would be visible.  But this photo VERY closely approximates what the Theater looks like in person.

Naturally, I chose a nice STAR WARS image to have on the screen when I took the picture.

How about YOU?  Let's see how you all watch the STAR WARS Saga at home!!!

Regards,

Roberto DARKLORD Williams

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: How do YOU Watch the STAR WARS Saga At Home?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 03:01 PM »
You have a really nice theatre there! I like the curtains on the sides, its a real nice touch.

I'm curious, though... Where do you two sit?

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 03:14 PM »
42' Plasma Screen.
DVD and VHS Player.

That's about it.

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 11:44 PM »
You have a really nice theatre there! I like the curtains on the sides, its a real nice touch.

I'm curious, though... Where do you two sit?

Thanks for the compliment Angry Ewok!!

To answer your question:

Our seating area is directly across from the theater.  We have a sofa (pictured here) and single chair (visible on the right)  The seating is good for about four people total. 

If one sits on the couch, the theater's viewing area (TV) is directly ahead. This seating area is about 16 feet away from the theater.

There's a glass coffee table, and two end tables. The Sub woofer is tucked underneath the end table visible in the background. 

The in-wall rear surround speakers are concealed behind  the two framed pictures on the back wall. 

« Last Edit: January 8, 2006, 03:36 AM by DARKLORD »

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 5, 2006, 02:10 PM »
Wow, Roberto, your home theater setup is truly impressive! (And your living room's mighty fine looking, too.)  I see from this that you're the sort who makes the absolute most of everything you make and do, not just customizing.  Very cool indeed.  8)

Alas, the Findshusband and I have nothing that can compare.  Just a small, old TV (smaller than the monitor of our iMac, I think) on a shelf across from a futon couch in our dinky Oakland, CA apartment.  But the Star Wars trilogy is still the Star Wars trilogy!

HunterOfThePegs, why don't you show us a photo of your setup, too?  Plasma TV sounds very very neat indeed...  how different are they from regular LCD TVs?

... the Findswoman

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 8, 2006, 03:51 AM »
Wow, Roberto, your home theater setup is truly impressive! (And your living room's mighty fine looking, too.)  I see from this that you're the sort who makes the absolute most of everything you make and do, not just customizing.  Very cool indeed.  8)

Howdy Findswoman!!!

As always, you are so kind and supportive, and such an awesome friend. You always make my day and you always bring a smile to my face with your posts.  Thanks a million for the lovely words. You're the best!!

Alas, the Findshusband and I have nothing that can compare.  Just a small, old TV (smaller than the monitor of our iMac, I think) on a shelf across from a futon couch in our dinky Oakland, CA apartment.  But the Star Wars trilogy is still the Star Wars trilogy!

The magic of STAR WARS transcends virtually EVERY viewing situation, regardless of scope.  In the end, the most important thing when viewing the STAR WARS Saga at home is that there be an extra-special someone curled up next to you enjoying all the action, all the adventure, and all the exploits of Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, Darth, Anakin, Obi-Wan and the gang!!  "Mr. Findshusband" is a lucky man to be able to share all that is his with YOU.  In that same way, I am a very blessed man. Mrs. Darklord has enjoyed everything STAR WARS right by my side for over 19 years now!  You can't put a price on that.  ;)

Warmest Regards,
-D

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #6 on: January 9, 2006, 01:52 PM »

The magic of STAR WARS transcends virtually EVERY viewing situation, regardless of scope.  In the end, the most important thing when viewing the STAR WARS Saga at home is that there be an extra-special someone curled up next to you enjoying all the action, all the adventure, and all the exploits of Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, Darth, Anakin, Obi-Wan and the gang!! 

You are absolutely right about that! 

Yes, I am very lucky to have the Findshusband by my side, through all aspects of life, Star Warsy and non-Star Warsy.  And I'm sure Mrs. Darklord is very blessed too.  Have you guys really been married 19 years?  Wow!  Many more to you both!  :)

... the Findswoman

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 04:18 AM »
  Have you guys really been married 19 years?  Wow!  Many more to you both!  :)

Thank you so much Findswoman!!  That is so sweet of you!!

We have NOT been married for 19 years, but we have been together as a couple for that long.   Back in 1987 (!) my wife was 15 years old and I was 20.  We began dating and were INSEPERABLE ever since. 

Finally, (after we both finished our studies, and began to build our home) we were married on Valentine's Day in the year 2000 at the top of the twin towers of NYC's World Trade Center.
 ;D ;) ;D

How long have you and Mr. Findshusband been together?

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 07:09 PM »
I'm moving again soon, so unfortunately my plans hadn;t progessed as planned, my TV is still kind of just sitting there, 57" widescreen Sony, HDTV and DVD's are really nice on this sucker.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 06:01 AM »
Moving?  Far, or near if I may ask Bob?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 06:07 PM »
Hopefully near.  YTBD.  Probably know in a few months ;^)

(She's probably coming up here.)

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 05:28 AM »
Boba...

Between those AWESOME framed prequel posters on your walls, the other STAR WARS collectibles in the room, and your stunningly beautiful Home Theater set-up... I am envious!!!

Gorgeous, brother... simply gorgeous!!! And I really LOVE the STAR WARS image you selected to have on your TV for your photo!!!

Great job and congratulations.  Thanks a million for sharing!!

Warmest Regards,

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 03:21 AM »
Hopefully near.  YTBD.  Probably know in a few months ;^)

(She's probably coming up here.)

Welp, keep me updated dude...  Hope you're able to stick to the area. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 08:31 PM »
Boba...

Between those AWESOME framed prequel posters on your walls, the other STAR WARS collectibles in the room, and your stunningly beautiful Home Theater set-up... I am envious!!!

Gorgeous, brother... simply gorgeous!!! And I really LOVE the STAR WARS image you selected to have on your TV for your photo!!!

Great job and congratulations.  Thanks a million for sharing!!

Warmest Regards,

I was going to build a custom cabinet, so there would be shelves on each side ovf the TV, and one long shelf running the whole way across the top of the TV.  No point right now.

Yours is the sweet setup.  The next place I get I'm thinking of somehow maybe getting a place that has a huge besement in need of remodeling and somehow build the TV into the wall.

Unfortunately, the posters don't show well, and those are the cheapo $19.99 frames from Suncoast, so the EPI one doesn't sit in it flat at all.  All 3 have mulitple autographs on them as well as the CIII posters on the right side.  There's also a couple surround speakers mounted to the corners above the couch.  Not the cleanest like yours, but it works.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 02:10 PM »
Can I have that trilogo Yakface :o 

I'll even take the Squidhead.  They're just messing up the symmetry of your display what with the foreign languages and all...
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.