Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249941 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #570 on: August 2, 2015, 07:05 AM »
There's some pretty awesome casting news for GoT season 6.  Actor Ian McShane (Deadwood, Jack the Giant Slayer, Battle of Britain) will be joining the cast.  There's been no official word on who McShane will be playing... I'm thinking it's pretty unlikely that Al Swearingen would wind up in the midst of Westeros.  Some speculation is that he might be playing the father of one character who's something of a fan favorite.

There's also some news from HBO.  At a recent presentation HBO President Michael Lombardo said that the network is looking towards an 8 season run (or more) for Game of Thrones.  Additionally, there's been talk of a prequel:

When asked about the possibility of a prequel or spinoff of some kind at TCA, Lombardo admitted, “I would be open to anything David and Dan want to do … there’s enormous storytelling to be mined in a prequel.” He added that there have been no conversations about an offshoot for “Thrones” yet, since “the focus is on figuring out the next few years of this show.”
« Last Edit: August 2, 2015, 09:44 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #571 on: December 5, 2015, 06:22 PM »
The new trailer is awesome. Eager to see what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxI8aPISq8I
« Last Edit: December 5, 2015, 06:23 PM by evenflow »
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 15, 2016, 09:38 AM »
Looking forward to the season 6 premiere on Sunday.  And I've got to say, this is the first time since season 1 where I just don't know what to expect, and that's pretty exciting.    Because for season 2 through 5 (after I had read all the books), I kind of knew what to expect.  But now?  I have an inkling to one big thing that's set to happen, but that's it.

There's also some news that's come out regarding the future of the series.  Such as?  Following season 6 there are likely to only be two more seasons, with both of those having a shorter run of 6 or 7 episodes each.  Read about it here.

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 25, 2016, 09:25 AM »
Pretty kick-ass stuff last night...did not disappoint at all, well much.

Where was Tristane when he got killed? Still on the boat? In King's Landing? I guess the Sand Snakes had a fast ship? (And could I love those three girls anymore?!?!)

Brienne and Pod to the rescue was a rousing moment too. You gotta get Sansa out of the North though...Castle Black is not the answer. Take her to the Riverlands!

Man, I really hope Ed brings back that Giant.

That was some serious nastage at the end there. WTF is she waiting for to bring back Jon Snow anyway?!?  :P
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #574 on: April 25, 2016, 10:32 AM »
Where was Tristane when he got killed? Still on the boat? In King's Landing? I guess the Sand Snakes had a fast ship? (And could I love those three girls anymore?!?!)

His room in Dorne.  He didn't get on the boat bound for King's Landing.

I hope they don't draw out the Jon Snow resolution for too long.  In the book...

[SPOILERS... sort of], Jon's last word as he was stabbed was "Ghost", so as a warg I figured he sent his soul into Ghost before he died.  I'm thinking that's the case in the show as well - and that he'll go back into his body after he's resurrected, either by Melisandre or as a White Walker.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 26, 2016, 11:16 AM »
The whole concept of the unknown made Sunday night's episode a whole lot more intriguing.  There was a sense of legitimate danger in not knowing how most of the plot was going to proceed.

The events in Dorne were some of the most interesting.  I wasn't surprised about Trystane at all, since he met a gruesome fate in A Dance With Dragons.  Having the Sand Snakes involved in that definitely made them seem much more threatening than I have ever perceived them in the books.  As did the events in the Water Gardens, and THAT was a big surprise.

Castle Black seemed like a far more dangerous place than it did last season.  Even with the battle for the gate.  Thorne seems intent on leading the Night's Watch.  But he doesn't seem like he has the full support of the men.  On the flipside, I'm glad to see that it's Davos who is helping Dolorous Ed and the others.  And the Melisandre revelation?  WHOA.  But it also put a major damper on my crush for Carice Van Houten.  I think we're in store for a lot more once Dolorous Ed gets back to Castle Black with whomever he's bringing.

It looks like things may be coming to a head soon in the North.  The Boltons seem legitimately concerned about holding the North.  Roose seems intent on expanding his power base.  That seems to include making sure that Ramsay is kept in check and unsure of his own future.  Theon seems to have stepped up significantly since he killed Ramsey Bolton's girlfriend and rescued Sansa.  And seeing Brienne step in with Pod to take out those Bolton men was fantastic.  That scene alone was infinitely better than everything Gwendoline Christie did in her role as Captain Phasma in The Force Awakens.  But I think the best part of the scene was actually when Brienne took her vows to protect Sansa.  She was so earnest in offering her service.  And likewise, it was great seeing the realness of Podrick helping Sansa recite her part of the vows.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2016, 05:14 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 1, 2016, 05:33 PM »
Wondering how tonight's episode will pan out.  The Melisandre reveal was a bit of a shock, despite the hints that have been made throughout the books at the show.  And what becomes of Davos, the loyal members of the Night's Watch, Ghost, and the body of Jon Snow?

And then there's the Khaleesi.  It didn't take long for the Dothraki who captured her to snap to and treat her with the respect befitting a Khaleesi.  But will they force her to stay in Vaes Dothrak, like the other widows of fallen Khals, and take her place among the Dosh Khaleen?  Danaerys managed to sway Drogo, but that seemed to be largely because they were married.  While I've suspected for some time that Danaerys might lead the Dothraki to Westeros, this situation is different.  And it leaves me wondering how she will be able to convince them to do that.

There's also the matter of a shot that was in one of the trailers for this season.  It showed a knight in what looked like Targaryen King's Guard armor fighting someone who looked like a Stark bannerman.  It looked a lot like a possible flashback to the Tower of Joy!

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 1, 2016, 10:17 PM »
YES!!  ;D

I knew it, I KNEW IT, I freaking knew it.

Total TV awesomeness overload.

Oh and extra credit for those two old dbags getting their just desserts, although Roose deserved to be stabbed about 50 more times in Robb's memory.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #578 on: May 3, 2016, 10:39 AM »
So many questions... 

Glad to see Roose dead, but still waiting for Ramsey to get his.  After all the stuff he's done to Theon, Sansa, Roose, Walda, the baby, etc.  I can't even picture a death horrible enough for that brat.  Should be interesting to see how things go - seems like he's willing to piss off a good chunk of the north, as well as probably losing Walder Fey as an ally with the death of Walda.

And the stuff with Tyrion and the two dragons.  Awesome.  I see a lot of people thinking his interaction with the dragons confirms he's a Targ, but I'm not sure if that's a lock or if it just meant they didn't see him as a threat/enemy.  Still...  it was awesome watching him unchain them.  Can't wait to see more of them in action.

There's also the matter of a shot that was in one of the trailers for this season.  It showed a knight in what looked like Targaryen King's Guard armor fighting someone who looked like a Stark bannerman.  It looked a lot like a possible flashback to the Tower of Joy!

The "next episode" teaser they showed for next week was awesome - that is totally Ned at the Tower of Joy in that flashback.  8)  Really looking forward to seeing that played out and finally confirming some things one way or the other.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #579 on: May 3, 2016, 11:22 AM »
Where exactly is Littlefinger right now?  His thread seems to be lost in the book and the show

Ramsey's death better be the best death of all time...Jon Snow shoving Longclaw right through his brain while he is on fire covered with tar after his flesh had been stripped by ants after the had been dipped in molten sugar.  He is probably the most evil person on the show, the little ******

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #580 on: May 3, 2016, 12:09 PM »
Where exactly is Littlefinger right now?  His thread seems to be lost in the book and the show

I imagine he's just sitting in the Vale biding his time and waiting for the next opportunity to betray someone for personal gain. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 3, 2016, 12:17 PM »
Ramsey Bolton has to be one of the most bloodthirsty and cruel characters ever on television, let alone Game of Thrones.  He makes Joffrey look like an amateur in comparison.  And the scene in the kennel was so brutal, even if we didn't see anything.  The thought of it alone was horrific.  And especially because you knew it was coming after he had killed his own father.

The whole recap before the episode was a little confusing when they added in that scene of Robb Stark and Lord Karstark.  At least until the scene were Ramsey killed Roose Bolton in plain view of the new Lord Karstark.  With that whole situation it looks like there may be a war coming between the houses of the North to retake Winterfell.

I'm also interested to see how thing proceed with Theon and the rest of the Ironborn.  I thought that the storyline involving Euron Greyjoy and the Iron Islanders was going to get tossed.  I was a little surprised to see that it got shelved until this season.  And now with the fleet in Mereen having been burned by the Sons of the Harpy, the storyline for the Ironborn is beginning to become a little bit more clear.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2016, 12:18 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #582 on: May 3, 2016, 12:19 PM »
In the books I believe Littlefinger is still with Sansa.  A completely different girl married Ramsey.  A young girl that sort of resembled Arya that the Boltons told everyone was Arya so Ramsey could have legitimacy in the north.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 3, 2016, 01:24 PM »
IIRC, that was Jeyne Poole.  The Boltons were trying to pass her off as Arya in order to lay some sort of legitimate claim to Winterfell.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #584 on: May 3, 2016, 03:44 PM »
What Jeff said about Littlefinger...  Remember, chaos is a ladder, he legitimately has control of the Vale at this point, and he's certainly set about Chaos in both the North, South, and really beyond with whats taking place in Dorn, and with setting up Tyrion and setting all that into motion and he now in Mereen...  Littlefinger is a master.  Love that guy and that speech. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77