Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 190935 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #255 on: March 15, 2007, 07:18 PM »
I picked up the first book of the Han Solo Trilogy as well, but haven't started in on that yet.  I don't know if its any good, but I hope to start it this weekend if I have time and find out.

Which trilogy, the Han Solo Adventures by Brian Daley or the Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin? They are both quite good though.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 16, 2007, 06:50 AM »
Along the lines of what Jeff said, I've been having 2 to 3 helpings of this a day:

with some of this on the side:

"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 16, 2007, 09:50 AM »
Which trilogy, the Han Solo Adventures by Brian Daley or the Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin? They are both quite good though.

The Crispin one, although I considered picking up the Daley one as well, as I've heard that is pretty good.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 26, 2007, 07:18 PM »

Picked this up at Barnes & Noble today...

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 2, 2007, 07:23 PM »
I'm a good bit into The Two Towers (never read it before, yeah I know) and I recently read Da Vinci Code and the Marvel Essential book, Marvel Team-Up vol. 1.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 3, 2007, 10:45 AM »
I hate doing this, but I'm working through two books right now.  The first one I started is Rommel and his war in the Desert.  Interesting because it was written by a German historian and does some bashing of Rommel and his reckless tactics in the desert.  Which after part of the way into it, I find myself agreeing with his ideas.

I'm also reading Dragon by Clive Cussler.  I first read one of his books about six months ago and it was a real page turner and I saw this sitting on the "borrow" shelf at church so thought I'd liberate it and take it for a spin.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 3, 2007, 10:12 PM »
the catcher and the rye for an enlgish assignment (highschool) pool of fire (dont know the author) also for a school assignment. and two other star wars book, slave ship and one of the RC books. total of 4 at once...really really annoying...might also take in a 5 also for a school assignment. who would have ever thought grade 11 could be so nerve racking with books. :-\
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #262 on: May 3, 2007, 11:49 PM »

Trying to come up with a few pages on the Book of Daniel.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 4, 2007, 12:54 PM »
reading to my son

browsing for myself

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 9, 2007, 09:57 AM »
I do my work at the Library (I don't work for he Library,) and occasionally pick up some of the free books they get rid of. I recently picked up and started reading a novel called "Alpha Centauri or Die!" by Leigh Brackett.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #265 on: July 5, 2007, 04:21 PM »
The boys got this one for their birthday and I haven't been able to put it down.   :D

250+ pages of all the stuff we used to do as kids before the world got "safe-crazy".  This book has got it all -
- how to build a go-cart
- how to build a trip-wire
- how to skin a rabbit
- how to play chess, poker, coin sports, etc

and much, much more.  I can't wait until the guys get a little older and we start trying some of these things out.   :D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 5, 2007, 04:27 PM »
Sounds like a fun book Jeff.  For me, I've been re-reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince in preparation for the final book's release later this month.  I'm not sure if I'll have time to finish by then or not, with the new addition coming in the next week or so most likely.  Otherwise, its just been some comics here and there, if that counts as a "book" here :P.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 5, 2007, 04:37 PM »

It's a slow start, but basically the book covers 7 different aspects of Greek culture: The Warrior, Wanderer, Poet, Politician and Playwright, Philosopher, Artist, and the Greco-Roman Judeo-Christian connection. It also explains why those statues always look so ... small.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 5, 2007, 04:37 PM »
The boys got this one for their birthday and I haven't been able to put it down.   :D

250+ pages of all the stuff we used to do as kids before the world got "safe-crazy".  This book has got it all -
- how to build a go-cart
- how to skin a rabbit

and much, much more.  I can't wait until the guys get a little older and we start trying some of these things out.   :D

1.  Sounds like an awesome book -- I think I'll have to pick it up for my son's (or perhap's my husband's) birthday.

2.  Did you say the boys got it for their birthday?  I can't believe they are a year old already!?!  Please post 1st b-day pics in the appropriate thread :)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 5, 2007, 04:53 PM »

- how to build a go-cart
- how to skin a rabbit

I heard about this on NPR when it launched in the UK and loved the excerpts.  It wasn't launched in the US yet when they did the story, and the release date was months later.  I forgot about it until I saw your post - I definitely want to pick up a copy!
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life