Author Topic: 2005 DVD Thread  (Read 71045 times)

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 DVD Thread
« Reply #375 on: November 3, 2005, 02:09 AM »
Alls you need to do is view "Life as a House". It's no secret that George Lucas ruins otherwise fantastic actors with his direction and poor dialogue.

Sigh.

I'm not trying to thread crap, but it is any wonder that the most popular of the 6 movies wasn't directed by Lucas himself? "Life As a House" is to Hayden Christensen what "Garden State" or "Leon" was to Natalie Portman. Underrated, and a great showcase of his talents.

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #376 on: November 4, 2005, 11:50 AM »
This may be a bit OT, but here it goes anyway.

To those of you that have seen/own Cannibal Holocaust, where do you think I would be able to rent or view it at? I'm guessing Best Buy and Blockbuster aren't going to have this. Now I know what I'm getting myself into, I've read dozens of reviews on it, and I want to see if it is hype or if there is actually anything behind the movie other than what it seems to be on the outside. I'm NOT looking to buy this movie at all, just watch it once.

Also, I was looking over some other lists on some other sites, and looking at the most disturbing movies of all time, and was wondering what you guys thought shoudl be on the list. Thanks!
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 4, 2005, 02:56 PM »
You're only hope of a rental is probably going to be a mom and pop store, but the way this thing seems to have such a cult following, you should have no problem flipping it away on ebay if you have to buy it.

netflix seems to always have an exhaustive library though.  You could take a look there, too.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 4, 2005, 02:57 PM »
Yuppers.  I was right.  Netflix has it
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 7, 2005, 03:01 AM »
So, how's Tuesday lookin', guys..?

I already got this this past Friday, thanks to a local Wal Mart release snafu.

There's a lot of mixed feelings towards the set, given the whole "Director's Cut" episodes, where Judge actually has removed footage from the episodes. I don't care, personally. Those with the Time Life set can compare for yourself.

Fact of the matter is, this set has all the extras that came with the "History of Beavis and Butthead" set, which is $75 on eBay alone. It also has 11 music videos, great extras, and a very informative documentary.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #380 on: November 7, 2005, 04:56 AM »
Re: Office Space SE

With out giving too much public details on where this info comes from, I know why this special edition came out the way it did.

Basically, if it's not common knowledge, Judge has a really bad taste is his mouth from working with Fox and was doing everything in his power to undermine what they wanted. The Milton shorts are not included because he never liked them in the first place and he just plain refused to do a commentary because, well,  Fox wanted one.

Just came across an old Entertainment Weekly article about Mike Judge, Office Space, and Fox.  I'll put a couple of relevant quotes here, and put the whole article in the Office Space thread.

Fox is now anxious to release a special-edition DVD with extras like the original ''Milton'' shorts, but Judge says the studio wants to stiff him on the deal, so he won't sign off. Rather tactfully, all a studio spokesperson will say is that ''discussions are ongoing.''

Mike Judge takes deep pleasure in his movie's resurrection, but he still can't bring himself to watch the damn thing. ''I was channel-flipping once and Office Space was on,'' he says. ''I watched it for like a minute and a half. I was like, 'Yeah, I don't want to go through this again.' So I shut it off.''

Watched the retrospective on the new DVD last week, and saw a couple of clips from the Milton shorts.  What a nice little slap in the face that was.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 7, 2005, 10:40 AM »
Just Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Devil's Rejects for me this week - was going to buy Beavis and Butthead until I found out that it was another compliation set and not  just Season 1.

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #382 on: November 7, 2005, 11:35 AM »
I got Star Wait this weekend. It was good for $6, but not a movie you'd watch more than once really.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 7, 2005, 11:40 AM »
I was thinking about picking up Charlie and the Chocolate Factory this week as well, but I'm undecided.  This was a movie we never got a chance to get to while it was in the theatres, so we thought about renting it first to see if it was worth buying.  Sometimes it is tempting to save the $4-5 rental, and just blind buy it, but we'll see.  Any opinions on the movie if you saw it this summer?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 7, 2005, 12:12 PM »
I was thinking about picking up Charlie and the Chocolate Factory this week as well, but I'm undecided.  This was a movie we never got a chance to get to while it was in the theatres, so we thought about renting it first to see if it was worth buying.  Sometimes it is tempting to save the $4-5 rental, and just blind buy it, but we'll see.  Any opinions on the movie if you saw it this summer?

My wife preferred the original over the new one, but both she and my daughter enjoyed the more recent release.  I'm guessing we'll own both.  Blockbuster up here has dropped there recently-viewed purchase price to only $6.99 CAD.  Rental price is around $5 and change, so we just wait now. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #385 on: November 7, 2005, 02:15 PM »
Probably just "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory " for me this week...

Can someone more ambitios than me put together a nice list of the freebies?  The only one I've heard about so far is using my Reward Zone card to get a free Wonka Chocolate bar at BB.   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 7, 2005, 02:22 PM »
I will have to buy Charlie and the Chocolate factory for my Daughter. Not that I don't want to have it in the collection, it's just that she very adamant about it.

I'm glad she loves both versions though.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 7, 2005, 02:37 PM »
I got Star Wait this weekend. It was good for $6, but not a movie you'd watch more than once really.

I watched it from the website, well, the majority of it. No worse than "Starwoids", really, but not something I'd want to own. It's somewhat of an embarassment to watch to be frank.

Any opinions on the movie if you saw it this summer?

One of the worst movies I've ever seen, personally, and I've seen a lot. I personally don't care if Burton's invisioning was closer to the book, I just thought it was a bad movie. From Johnny Depp's uncomfortable portrayal, to the Oompa Loompa's gaudy, multi-colored plastic suits, to the ridiculous kiddie hip hop musical numbers.

Great for kids, or those who read the book, but I'll never subject myself to it ever again. Even if it were as "dark" as the cliched reviews said, it wouldn't have kept my attention, as drawn to the macabre as I am. Burton hasn't been the same since his POTA remake. I mean even "Corpse Bride" was disappointing.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2005, 02:40 PM by Cinemaddiction »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 8, 2005, 10:37 AM »
Anyone buying this?

I just noticed it today, but if I see it for sale somewhere I'll probably pick it up.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 8, 2005, 11:18 AM »
One of the worst movies I've ever seen, personally, and I've seen a lot. I personally don't care if Burton's invisioning was closer to the book, I just thought it was a bad movie. From Johnny Depp's uncomfortable portrayal, to the Oompa Loompa's gaudy, multi-colored plastic suits, to the ridiculous kiddie hip hop musical numbers.

I take it you're not a big Oingo Boingo or Danny Elfman fan then...

Those dance/music numbers were the best part of the movie - they were hilarious.