Author Topic: Solo (SPOILERS)  (Read 166515 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Solo (SPOILERS)
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2017, 06:59 PM »
I am really hoping this is just an "adventure" movie with no jabba the hutt is actually Han's niece stuff
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2017, 08:41 PM »
Uhm yeah basically same here...  "how he got his name" is not a good thing.  He got his name because his friggin parents gave it to him, and that's all there needs to be said of it.   >:(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2017, 08:43 PM »
In other news, Woody Harrelson spilled the beans on his character's name/place...  He's a "criminal" and mentor (knew the latter) and he gave his name.  Apparently that was all he's allowed to say.  He spilled it on the Jimmy Fallon show so if you can accept some fake laughing/nervousness it's on videos a google search will easily find.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2017, 11:53 PM »
I hope the name change for Han is not a major plot point and not something stupid.  I'm hoping its a thirty second thing, like his name was Bob Duet when he was a Imperial Naval Cadet and busted Chewie out he became a wanted man, so he needed to change his name to help avoid being caught and that's what his astromech randomly generated.  He shrugs and moves on.

I thought Lucas did a great job with young Indy in The Last Crusade where he developed his fear of snakes and got his chin scar.  If its something kind of intentionally hokey like that it might be fun.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:17 AM by Dave »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2017, 08:22 AM »
Nice of Iger to give that exclusive interview to his wife, LOL! 

I figure there's going to be some panel discussion about the Han Solo film at Celebration, but it's probably going to be quite limited.

I saw the news about Woody Harrelson revealing his character's name.  And that one is straight out of the old school EU.  Beyond that?  I wonder if this movie is going to acknowledge any of the past EU story points or just chart it's own course.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2017, 11:54 AM »
I bet his name is a major plot point.  Like in Better Call Saul when they reveal he has a different name, but keeps saying "it's all good" - "It Saul Good."  Such hilarity and brilliance.  Like maybe he's down on his luck and has to beg for hand outs, so he becomes Hand So Low - Han Solo!  Is' so terrific and amazing.  Way better than just letting someone have a given name.

::)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2017, 04:43 PM »
I'm hoping Mr. Iger just misspoke and it's how Han MADE a name for himself by being the best smuggler, as Jabba said he was in ANH.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2017, 09:05 PM »
I'VE GOT A BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS.

And now I get the message of the whole "We Shot First" t-shirt.

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2017, 10:26 AM »
This Hollywood Reporter article seems to make it clear that the vision of Phil Lord and Chris Miller was significantly different from that of screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan.  And in this power struggle it seems that Kathleen Kennedy backed Kasdan's vision of the character.  Kasdan's screenplay depicted Han Solo much in the same way he was played in the OT:  sarcastic and self-centered.  The Miller & Lord version is being characterized as potentially too comedic of a take on the character.  And the directing team seems like they were caught off-guard by their dismissal from the show.

Names that are currently being considered to replace Lord and Miller?  Ron Howard, for one.  And Joe Johnston seems to be in the running, too.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2017, 11:37 AM »
I like Ron Howard as a director, but I don't think he's a good fit here.  Maybe they should get Gareth Edwards again.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2017, 11:38 AM »
Seems like the directors were trying to make Han Solo out to be Starlord.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2017, 01:56 PM »
I am waiting for the inevitable release date change to December 2018.  Personally, I think that is the best thing for Disney.  They have ruled the past two Decembers and will likely do so again at the end of this year.  They might as well keep the trend going rather than step all over their other franchises in the summer.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2017, 07:30 AM »
From what I've read, Ron Howard and Kathleen Kennedy are pretty good friends who have worked together in the past.  Which could put him in a position to take on the project.  Likewise, Joe Johnston has the history with Lucasfilm and Star Wars.  Looking at their IMDB pages it seems like both of them have projects in development, but nothing that's currently in production.  That could mean that they might be available to take over the Han Solo film.

I had also thought "Why not bring in Gareth Edwards"?  But as this story has been unfolding, I've also been learning that when it came to the significant reshoots that were undertaken for ROGUE ONE, Lucasfilm brought in Tony Gilroy to take over that end of the project from Edwards.  And while I think many people found ROGUE ONE to be a great take on Star Wars, perhaps it wasn't the greatest experience for its director.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:33 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2017, 10:38 AM »
VARIETY:  Ron Howard to Take Over as Director of ‘Star Wars’ Han Solo Spinoff

JUNE 22, 2017 | 07:25AM PT
Oscar-winning filmmaker Ron Howard will take over as director of the “Star Wars” Han Solo spinoff, Lucasfilm announced.

His hire comes after the movie’s original directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller were fired Tuesday, while in the middle of production after clashing with producer and Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy and co-writer/executive producer Lawrence Kasdan. The duo, who had previously overseen “The LEGO Movie” and “21 Jump Street,” wanted to inject more humor into the storyline and encouraged improvisation, something Kasdan did not appreciate.

Howard will begin work immediately. The picture still has several weeks left on its shooting schedule, and five additional weeks of pre-scheduled reshoots that were planned for later this year. The exact amount of time and money that it will take to actually complete the production (which was about three-quarters finished when the directors were fired), will vary depending on how much rewriting and reshooting Howard deems is necessary after reviewing the script and shot footage.

It is unclear just how Howard will be credited and whether he will share directing credit with Lord and Miller, or potentially take no credit at all (though that seems unlikely). Lord and Miller have the right to appeal any decision, but ultimately, the Directors Guild of America will make the call.

Howard previously worked with Lucasfilm  on 1988’s “Willow,” a fantasy adventure that garnered two technical Ocscar nominations (visual effects and sound editing) but was a box office disappointment. Howard’s credits also include hits such as “Parenthood,” “Splash,” “Backdraft,” “The Da Vinci Code,” “Apollo 13” and  2001’s “A Beautiful Mind,” about the brilliant, anti-social mathematician John Nash, which won four top Academy Awards including best director and best picture.

These days, however, the former child actor is in need of a big hit. He’s had a string of duds that include “Inferno,” “In the Heart of the Sea,” “Rush,” and “The Dilemma.” His last significant success was 2009’s “Angels & Demons.”

Feedback