Author Topic: Force Lightning  (Read 9553 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Force lightening
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 11:00 PM »
Try looking at it this way:  we're all pretty much in agreement that the events of TESB are time compressed. Luke is training on Dagobah with Yoda for at least a few weeks, and at most a few months. We can extrapolate that because the malfunctioning hyperdrive on the Millenium Falcon slows its travel from Hoth to Bespin, and a fairly significant amount of time must have passed.

Contrast those weeks / months of Luke's training with the training time and process for a Jedi in the era of the a galactic Republic. When we saw Obi-Wan Kenobi in Episode I, he's about 25 years old and still a Padawan. He's been training for at least 20 years when he duels Darth Maul. And he's been a Jedi Knight for another 10 years when he faces Dooku. He also had the benefit of seeing Dooku hit Anakin with Force lightning before he deflected the attack at him. Obi-Wan was simply far more experienced and trained for that attack.

So, how does Yoda compress 20 years of Jedi training into the space of a couple of months? 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Force lightening
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 09:39 AM »
Maybe the training isn't so much about the powers themselves, but more about developing the maturity not to use superhuman powers for personal gain.  When Yoda and Ben are training Luke, their backs are against the wall.  They have to pray (to the midichlorians) that Luke's character is firmly developed enough to resist the temptation of using his powers for gain, that he's a good person.