Author Topic: Do You Tip?  (Read 9437 times)

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Tip?
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2006, 01:18 PM »
Of course there are good reasons for not tipping.  I really can't stand attitude, so that right is the deciding factor.

How do you let them know their service / attitude / whatever was the reason for not leaving a tip?  If you're making a point, how do you know they get it?

I wonder about that sometimes.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2006, 01:51 PM »
I usually do 15% tip at sit-down, full-service restaurants (I should do 20% because it's easier math, but I'm an old dog and that's a new trick), but places like buffets (like FreshChoice) where there is no service, I don't leave anything. Delivery gets a small tip; haircuts, too, but a little larger. Pickup and coffee/beverage places don't get a tip from me because I feel I'm doing all the work. Bartenders ALWAYS get a tip of at least a buck. There's no better way to assure good, fast drinks than to keep your bartender/cocktail waitstaff happy. Plus, a few pops in me makes me pretty loose with the bills.

The trouble I have with tipping is in circumstances where I'm not paying for anything. We recently went to a one-year-old's b-day party and there was a clown (Sparkles). She made simple balloon animals and did some minimal face painting. I had to ask the host if we were supposed to tip her because I really had no clue (nor did I have any cash). The answer was a firm "no," because the clown was being paid $200 for the party (1 1/2 hours of "work"--I'm in the wrong field). But If I hadn't asked the host, I might have been inclined to slip Sparkles a twenty. I wonder what kind of balloon animals we would've gotten with a twenty...

And what about the baggers at grocery stores that help you push your cart to your car? I never have them help me, but my wife has occasionally needed their help when she has both kids and a ton of groceries. She'd never tip, but put in the same position, I might be inclined to tip a buck or two.

And how much for simple, free valet service? I say a buck.

Or at a parking garage where they're already reaming you for parking your car for an hour? Depends on my mood, but mostly it's a no. 

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2006, 02:04 PM »
Of course there are good reasons for not tipping.  I really can't stand attitude, so that right is the deciding factor.

How do you let them know their service / attitude / whatever was the reason for not leaving a tip?  If you're making a point, how do you know they get it?

I wonder about that sometimes.

Well I definately just tell them they suck when they do...how else will folks learn then from hearing it? I' ve done my time in this business and know what it takes to 'earn' extra cash. People willing to put forth the effort deserve more/ there's also being too attentitive and annoying-in this case I'll tip sparely but mention the 'flaw' to the person stating how 'if I could carry on a conversation without you interrupting me every minute Ect...you could have gotten more tip'.

Haircuts- 1$ to 5$ depending on how much 'repair' I have to do at home if any
Take out, no
Grocery Store-they bag it and take it to my car/truck-- 1$ to 3$ depending on how much grocery. If I get one or 2 items = no tip ::)
Pizza guy? he drives 2 blocks to my place= .50 to 1.50$
Dining Out? Tax + extra depending on service of course

It's kind harsh/hard to judge a person on his/her tipping habits isn't it? There's so much variance in here. Some folks would rather have someone coming to them every minute asking them something(the attention is good for them?), I'm the opposite.

Gas station attendant? ::) :P
I can pump my own ******* gas and I don't have a maid at home either.(= never use, so no tip)

How about a tip for the newspaper guy? Same thing here tips are low or absent when papers are delivered questionably close to neighbors' yard(so he can steal it, and the bastard does) in water ect. Tell them(paper boy) they suck then tell them how they can not suck/make tip money if need be.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 05:58 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2006, 02:13 PM »
That's a good point about the grocery stores Bob. On my military installation at the 'commissary' there's a gang of kids ready to push your grocery carts to your car--they work for tips only :-\. I rarely see folks pushing their own carts even when they have there own kids/spouses with them. Sure we all could do it but I'd like see my own kids working there someday soon so I'm all about paying some money for the kids to push to my car. How much? Depends on how far away I parked/how much grocery to push. 

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2006, 02:53 PM »
I

And what about the baggers at grocery stores that help you push your cart to your car? I never have them help me, but my wife has occasionally needed their help when she has both kids and a ton of groceries. She'd never tip, but put in the same position, I might be inclined to tip a buck or two.

My companies policy on getting tips from customers is to not accept them and if for whatever reason they leave you a tip the money belongs to the company and not you.  Not sure what other companies out there allow their employeesas far as taking tips for helping people out with their grociers, I know my company says how good we get paid and helping people out is part of the wages baggers make, which sucks since its about $6.75 then  7.40 after 9 months and most of them only work 20 or so hours a week.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2006, 03:02 PM »
I

My companies policy on getting tips from customers is to not accept them and if for whatever reason they leave you a tip the money belongs to the company and not you.  Not sure what other companies out there allow their employeesas far as taking tips for helping people out with their grociers, I know my company says how good we get paid and helping people out is part of the wages baggers make, which sucks since its about $6.75 then  7.40 after 9 months and most of them only work 20 or so hours a week.

I asked at a couple of our grocery chains -- we were told the same thing by the guys who bag the groceries and take them out.  I rarely accept their offer of help anyway.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline nitro

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2006, 03:42 PM »
That whole grocery store thing is just a blatant PR move on behalf of the big wigs at supermarket chains. When I got my first job at a supermarket when I turned 16, I was told by management on day 1 that tips from customers were not allowed and we were trained to politely refrain from excepting tips. When I moved into a different department (bakery), customers would leave tips on the counter (we had no tip cups). We'd use the tips the customers would leave on buying some drinks like a soda or water for our department. I never understood the mentality of telling your employees (especially those making minimum wage) that they could not accept money for providing an extra service. I guess they don't want the tipping to get out of hand so customers feel obligated to tip, but tell that to someone back in the day where minimum wage was $5.50 an hour.

Here's what I tip:
Restaurants: 20%. I never had any problems with service (knock on wood) but even still I would never screw someone else who has a cut in the tip because of one person.

Barber: $5 each time I go (usually every 3 weeks)...haircuts cost $12 but you have to realize that your haircut is an extension of your appearance...you get what you pay for and your barber remembers you for it.

Also, I tip maybe a dollar or two if my car gets valeted at a local eatery or at the greyhound park. Other than that, I think it's about it...

Take out service and "do it yourself" buffets, I never tip...

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2006, 06:06 PM »
I

I asked at a couple of our grocery chains -- we were told the same thing by the guys who bag the groceries and take them out.  I rarely accept their offer of help anyway.

That's interesting information..and BAD >:(. At least here on the government installation, kids get to work for their tips since they don't get paid any other money.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2006, 11:29 PM »
I never understood the mentality of telling your employees (especially those making minimum wage) that they could not accept money for providing an extra service. I guess they don't want the tipping to get out of hand so customers feel obligated to tip, but tell that to someone back in the day where minimum wage was $5.50 an hour.

I'd guess that companies feel if customers are paying money as a tip to their employees it leaves less money for the customer to spend on products. May not seem like a big deal, but it would add up over time.

I think you're right about a corporate culture of employees soliciting tips possibly making customers feel uncomfortable in the long run.

Talk about extortion tipping, the taxi cab companies excel at that. I don't mind tipping, but the cabbies I've had lately have left a lot to be desired. Yet, they behave as if the tip is expected as their pay separate from their attention or level of service. I've had some great cab drivers in the past, but the recent bad ones have been stereotypical drivers in NYC and Las Vegas.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2006, 01:16 AM »
I've had some great cab drivers in the past, but the recent bad ones have been stereotypical drivers in NYC and Las Vegas.

So...did you tip these cabs as well?

Offline DrunkJedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2006, 10:51 AM »
Take out and buffet I usually never tip. If I'm at a buffet and the waitress is really cute, I will tip.

Restaurants I always leave a tip.

How much I tip depends on service, waitress' attitude and her looks  ;) Largest tip I ever gave was $50. The restaurant I was in at the time, the spot they had the debit machine set up was not visible by customers and the waitress decided to flash me while we were back there. I figured a $50 tip was the least I could do. To bad I didn't live in that city or else I woulda tried to get her phone number.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2006, 10:53 PM »
When I used to travel for my old job me and my coworker got in a big debate about tipping the cleanining person in your hotel room.  This would be if you stay more than 1 night at a spot

The other is the bus services that shuttle you back and forth to the airport

Airport shuttle - a buck or two.  Maybe more if the bus was really loaded.  They're usually very helpful guys...

Bellhop at the hotel - buck per bag if I needed his help.  Just a buck or two if all I need was for him to store/retrieve my luggage when the conference ran past checkout.

Housekeeping - a dollar per night.

I didn't know that bagboys still pushed your cart to the car anymore. 
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2006, 06:18 AM »

They do if you're cute, flirt a lot and show 'em some cleavage ;)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2006, 08:22 AM »

Yeah ... that doesn't work for me.
 ;)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2006, 09:26 AM »

do that for me and I might push your groceries to that car....
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.