Author Topic: OTC DVD Sets  (Read 18488 times)

SilverZ

Re: OTC DVD Sets
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2004, 03:22 PM »
If it didn't have DVDs on it, I'd fully expect to never see the figures.

I was frankly shocked to see that only 1 in the 6 Walmarts I hit this morning made even the vaguest attempt to cross-promote the toys with the DVD release. The one winner store put the DVD/figure palette in the front by registers with a Lego palette, a big rack of OTC figures, and a bin full of carry cases. The rest looked like it was any other lame day in the life of their store that carries nothing I need. A suckfest.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2004, 03:25 PM »
The Wal-Mart I visited this morning was much the same.  They had two of the floor displays (one by each entrance).  One was full of DVDs, and that was it, and the other had all DVDs and one side with a few of the sets.  I picked up the ESB set only for now, and that actually seemed to be the one that was most scarce at this particular Wal-Mart.  The action figure section was the same as it has been lately.  VOTC Han, Leia, and Ben...numbers finally starting to dwindle somewhat...and some OTC figures (mostly Dagobah wave and a few repacks).  Also plenty of the 12" figures from what I could see, these don't seem to be moving too quick here.  I still haven't seen the carry cases at either Wal-Mart, and am starting to wonder if we're going to.  Oh...yeah, I thought these DVD sets were much bigger in person too.  They seem pretty wide.  Packaging is kind of neat though, for a one time dealy.  I got a kick out of the "DVD Not Included" sticker on them  :P
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 03:26 PM by mosnab »

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2004, 05:24 PM »
I went midnite shopping last night, grabbed a set of 3. These went really quick, saw lots of other midnight shoppers. The empty spaces left from the figure sets had been filled in with DVD sets by this morning. Most WM's did not have a clue about the stickers that were being given away.

Also stopped by SunCoast to purchase the DVD set and get the litho. I was told they did not have any, even though I was there when they opened. >:(

No new figures in my area, what a waste of time hunting today! >:(

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2004, 05:29 PM »
I hit up one Wal*Mart this morning during my rounds. They had one pallette of these figures and DVD sets, and that was it. They also had mostly ANH and ESB sets - I had to actually dig to the back of a few rows to find the ROTJ set. I ended up buying all 3, for $10 they are actually pretty nice. If only they could make the screen scenes in boxes like this.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2004, 05:49 PM »
I only need a ROTJ set myself.  Never got the Emperor and I can justify the set by the STormtrooper in it.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2004, 11:19 PM »
My local Walmarts didn't have any of these, nor did they even know what the heck they were when I asked them about it.  That sucks.  At least they put out about 10 OTC figures, for the first time ever.   ::)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2004, 11:44 PM »
I went to exactly one Wal-Mart today, and it had all three sets.

Of course, they had exactly two OTC figures, Cantina Han and X-Wing Luke, and assloads of the first four VOTC.

I haven't seen the carry cases in a while, but they probably moved them to an area I don't frequent.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2004, 11:50 PM »
Got my DVD's tonight and not a single 3-pack to be found.  DUnno what their deal is, but this WM had 0.

I hope I'm not gonna have to fight to get a ROTJ set.  I just want one, that's it, and only because I never got the saga Emperor which sucks as it is, but will make a neat figure to toss on my EW Vader and I can take the old Flashback Palpy off.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2004, 09:36 AM »
Just curious, but is anyone seeing these DVD packs in the stores anymore?  I saw all 3 on the big day (Sept 21st), and picked up the ESB one, and considered maybe getting the others down the road (but don't know if I really want them that badly or not).  Anyways, at least at the Wal-Marts here in town, they are nowhere to be found, and seemed to sell quite well.  I was just curious if others were seeing this or not.  I suppose having them displayed right next to the DVDs, as well as the good price (3/4 figures for $10), might have attracted casual buyers.  As much as I like the VOTC line, its funny to think that with the ANH set, you could get Luke, Ben, 3PO and R2 for the same price that you could get any one of them individually in the VOTC.  Granted, the figures are better.  Anyways, have these disappeared in your areas as well?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2004, 09:49 AM »
Hmmm...

I never saw them, but that may be because I haven't been to a Wal-Mart since Sep 10th.

I'm not a very big fan of Wal-Mart, and since there are 5 Targets that are closer to me than Wal-Mart, well, I never go there.   :-\

The only time I go to Wal-Mart is to try to find something NEW, and those DVD sets, while being a good price, are just not "new" enough for me IMHO.  In this era of "ship 90 figures plus vehicles a year", I just can't afford to get excited over repacks like these sets.  Of course, if they had put 1 new figure in each box, I'm sure I'd have tracked them down :(

I guess when it comes down to it, I have to force myself to look beyond the shiny new package and save the old pennies for NEW stuff (like vOTC).

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2004, 09:52 AM »
My local Wal Mart still has buttloads of these on the shelf :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2004, 09:54 AM »
They are still up here Brian.  Of course they suck a bit more than the US versions.  Having to be trilingual means they made one generic box (which looks identical to the US box) but rather than having the names properly printed on the packaging, they slapped cruddy stickers on the box with the names of the characters as a cost saving measure.  This rather than printing up three different trilingual boxes >:(

The reason though that they are still easily found is that they have been marketed so poorly.  Unlike your description, they are well hidden in the toy section.  Not near the DVDs, makes too much sense for that.  Rather they are variously spread out through the toy sections, on end caps, risers, near the bikes ???  It's just plain wacky.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2004, 09:54 AM »
I know what you mean Jeff, as we generally dread going to Wal-Mart.  It just seems that no matter how many you have in your town, they are still pretty much packed 24/7.  I end up getting pretty angry/frustrated each time we go there, because it takes us twice as long as it needs to due to people standing/being in the way, along with the crowds.  We're big fans of Target, and honestly if we had a "Super" one in town, I doubt we'd ever go to Wal-Mart (unless they had some sort of Star Wars exclusive or something).  Sometimes the prices are quite nice, but at the same time, the headache of the trip almost doesn't make it worth it.

Anyways, back to topic, I know what you mean about the rehashes.  At one point earlier this year I was considering collecting the whole OTC line, just for the cards (even though I'm a loose collector).  I am quite happy now that I did not.  I can barely keep up with all the stuff the way it is, financially and "hunting" wise.  Its always nice to get lots of stuff in a year (particularly new stuff), but sometimes it is tough to keep up.  It is kind of nice right now, just looking for a few things (Slave I, ROTJ VOTC, and a few OTC figures that I missed the first time).  Not quite as stressful :).