Author Topic: Collecting, how did you get hooked?  (Read 4795 times)

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
Re: how did you start collecting?
« Reply #15 on: March 7, 2004, 07:33 PM »
As a kid I had lots of Star Wars toys with my two older brothers. Then we grew out of it.
Then in 1995 my mother got me the mail away Han Solo Stormtrooper. I was hooked ever since. :)
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 7, 2004, 07:38 PM »
I needed somthing to get rid of my pesky heroin addiction, so I took up collection, due to suggestions from my councelor.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #17 on: March 7, 2004, 07:54 PM »
I started again in 1995 with the modern POTF2 line, when I was 14 or 15.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: March 7, 2004, 11:58 PM »
I got a vaccination shot back in 1978, I remember going to Target looking at the huge display of figures and pulling down a Han Solo to this day.  The collections have changed but that's really what all started it

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 8, 2004, 12:37 AM »
I got a vaccination shot back in 1978, I remember going to Target....

wow, they had target's back then?? seriously, i think the first time we got a target here in nj was about 4 years ago.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #20 on: March 8, 2004, 12:45 AM »
Early bird set 1978, baby!   ;D

Offline Dengar

• Youngling
  • Vintage Rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 8, 2004, 06:39 AM »
I started around 1980 I think.  Christmas that year I got some figures and a cloud car, after ROTJ I got into GI JOE, and then in 1994 I started back collecting when the bend ems and micro machines came out and all the new comics.  A little while later the POTF 2 came out and I just kept on collecting and here I am today 10 years later still collecting.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: March 8, 2004, 09:18 AM »
I got a vaccination shot back in 1978, I remember going to Target....

wow, they had target's back then?? seriously, i think the first time we got a target here in nj was about 4 years ago.
Target started here in MN, they've been around since the mid 60's I believe.  The first Target store ever is actually a few miles from where I live now (Roseville, MN) , they are talking about ripping it down to put in a Super Target
« Last Edit: March 8, 2004, 09:19 AM by OCB »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 8, 2004, 09:22 AM »
I started collecting when the dinosaurs ruled the earth!  ;D

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #24 on: March 8, 2004, 10:04 AM »
I first started playing with Star Wars when I was a little baby, '84. I bought my first Star Wars toy when I was six or so - so I guess 1990 was the year I started building my collection.

Nude Logray = a nickel.
My very first Star Wars toy being a naked Ewok = priceless.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 8, 2004, 10:30 AM »
For me, I guess it started as a kid too.  I had as many vintage figures as I was allowed to get, along with a "hand me down" Falcon and Snowspeeder from my cousins.  Between myself and some of my friends though, we had about everything so it was a fun playtime.  I wasn't collecting when the 95 line first started, but I was working at a Pamida (department store) we have here in town at the time Episode I was hyping up.  At the time, I thought "well, I have always loved Star Wars, so I'll just buy these six just to have something from the new movies".  I bought Maul, Obi, Qui-Gon, 3PO, R2, and Yoda.  Then I saw the commtech Han Solo and Luke Skywalker, and thought they just looked so amazing (when comparing them to vintage molds).  From there it was downhill, I went back (actually through Brian's Toys at the time), and bought a bunch of loose POTF2 figures that I had missed out on.  Since then I've pretty much been a "buy it when I see it" collector, and really enjoy the hobby.  I don't know what I did with my money before this :P.  I think I will probably be with the Star Wars line til the end now, I just enjoy it so much.  Unfortunately, if it wasn't for collecting Star Wars, I probably could have stayed away from all the other toy news as well.  Since I've been a collector, I've picked up Marvel Legends, a couple MOTU, a Batman, and a couple LOTR figures (and I want to buy more of those).  I never would have thought I'd have as much stuff as I do today.  But, collecting (particularly Star Wars) makes me happy.  And, I guess there could be worse things to spend my money on.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 8, 2004, 10:45 AM »
I started collecting when the dinosaurs ruled the earth!  ;D

Old man, take a look at my life
I'm a lot like you...

Not quite.  I bought my first star wars figure in 1995 as a joke.  In grad school, got myself a Vader and my supervisor a Ben Kenobi.  Wondering if he would catch the metaphor.  He did.  

Then I thought there are only 12 ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #27 on: March 8, 2004, 12:22 PM »
 Then I thought there are only 12 ::)

That's what I thought too. Went my entire high school career colelcting these things. Good thing I never told anybody about it, as I'd have been picked on mercilessly. :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 8, 2004, 02:51 PM »
I started collecting in 1999 with the release of the new movies.  I talked to my mom to stop at a TRU after she picked me up at college ( I didn't drive then) and she took me.  I picked up three figures and two of the vehcles/beast.  The next day I went to a target to see what they had and found most of the main figues and bought them.  I was going to just leave it at that but I got hook on it.