Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 106346 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #360 on: September 25, 2017, 06:06 PM »
Why couldn't CBS just put it on Showtime instead? They could add gratuitous nudity to it just like the first season of Stargate SG-1 had. That's what Star Trek needs - Boobies!
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 25, 2017, 07:02 PM »
When I was discussing this with some people on social media I likened this rollout of the show to a drug deal:  the first hit is free.  After that you've got to pay!

What did I take from the show?  It does seem a bit more in line with the JJ Abrams reboot universe in terms of design, the technology and the look of the Klingons among them.  Although the language does seem consistent with what had been established in movies and the various syndicated series.

I liked Michelle Yeoh as Captain Georgiou.  And Sonequa Martin-Green was really good, although I only watched the pilot.  As for James Frain as Sarek?  It has to be tough for an actor to play a Vulcan, given the lack of emotions.  But if this show is in line with the new movie timeline, I wonder why they might not have cast Ben Cross as Sarek, since he played the role in the JJ Abrams reboot?  Don't get me started on Anthony Michael Hall as a Starfleet Admiral.  That took me out of that scene.

I'm also struck by one point that I read about before the show aired.  That being what had been this Gene Roddenberry "golden rule" that TOS and syndicated shows had never really broken.  Evidently, there was never any sort of open conflict between starfleet personnel in those shows.  I recognize the philosophy behind it, and that Roddenberry had this idealized vision of how humanity might be unified in a 23rd century world.  I suspect that some of that idealism was a product of the time when TOS was produced, but is it realistic?  And this new show seems prepared to break that rule.  Hence some of the conflict between Captain Georgiou and First Officer Burnham about how to engage the Klingons.

I'm intrigued by the show.  But I don't feel as invested overall in Trek as most Trekkers do.  I thought it was a decent show to watch, and the look and effects of this show are lightyears beyond where TOS was in terms of production values.  I'd like to watch it, but we have a budget.  And watching Discovery on CBS's streaming platform doesn't fit in there.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #362 on: September 25, 2017, 07:05 PM »
So is this show moving to a streaming-only platform after broadcasting the first couple episodes?  I'm confused why people who have cable TV are complaining about signing up for a service.

Yes, after the first episode.

I guess if anyone has disposable income to blow on a single-series streaming subscription, it's Star Trek nerds...

Why couldn't CBS just put it on Showtime instead? They could add gratuitous nudity to it just like the first season of Stargate SG-1 had. That's what Star Trek needs - Boobies!

Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 25, 2017, 07:10 PM »
Where's the like button?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #364 on: September 25, 2017, 08:00 PM »
I'm also struck by one point that I read about before the show aired.  That being what had been this Gene Roddenberry "golden rule" that TOS and syndicated shows had never really broken.  Evidently, there was never any sort of open conflict between starfleet personnel in those shows.  I recognize the philosophy behind it, and that Roddenberry had this idealized vision of how humanity might be unified in a 23rd century world.

This 'rule' was only imposed by Roddenberry on the TNG staff, which they promptly circumvented and DS9 ignored. I've also seen some of the discussion you're referring to about it, and it's odd that this would be the sticking point for some people. At the time, the rule as rightly considered prohibiting by the fans and creatives alike. Like you said, it isn't realistic. Drama is inherently conflict, and utopian values aside, you've got to have something happening.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 25, 2017, 10:44 PM »

Some people complained about that scene.

It was the least thing wrong with INTO DARKNESS.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #366 on: September 26, 2017, 12:26 AM »
The scene was gratuitous, but then pretty much everything was in ID. On the scale, though, you're totally right.

I was thinking more about the Discovery premiere, and I got to thinking - I know what the problem with the set up is i.e. Burnham.

SPOILERS

Georgiou's death should have been the trigger for this emotional crisis she faces, after perhaps repressing it all her life, growing up as a Vulcan. Right now we're left thinking the encounter with the Klingons triggers this memory and emotion she's been repressing, but she's fairly emotive (logical, sure, though not critical) and all of that undercuts what I think is meant to be her arc. She's shown as spirited and competitive, in direct opposition to how she first arrives on the Shenzou (well, she's always competitive) and her trajectory in the two episodes is less about her emotional disposition than her mental one.

Anyways.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 27, 2017, 08:49 PM »
Don't get me started on Anthony Michael Hall as a Starfleet Admiral.  That took me out of that scene.

That actually wasn't Anthony Michael Hall - it was Terry Serpico, or as I like to call him "Anthony Michael Hall Lite"

CBS threw him a bone after suffering two seasons on their ridiculous attempt to turn US Postal Inspectors into CSIs, on Saturday morning no less...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 13, 2017, 10:53 AM »
Anyone else stick with CBS All-access for Star Trek Discovery?  Mid-season finale aired last night.  I really enjoyed these first 9 episodes.  Probably my favorite show that I'm currently watching.  It helped that we already invested in the CBS All-access for some of the other content. 

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 13, 2018, 04:58 PM »
Anyone else make it through the whole Season of Discovery? Overall I enjoyed it but I don't want to give away anything too spoilery if folks are waiting for other means to consume the content. 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 26, 2018, 03:43 PM »
Anyone else make it through the whole Season of Discovery? Overall I enjoyed it but I don't want to give away anything too spoilery if folks are waiting for other means to consume the content.

Made it through this series over the weekend with my wife who has already been more of the Star Trek fan than myself.

For me it was a struggle to get through.

I've read comments from others who have enjoyed it as well, and I don't want to spoil anything as well, but I would love to know if any of the people who are saying they think this show was great were also vocally bashing the final season of Enterprise as being too fanboy-fanficish with all of the episodes where they answered questions that really didn't need answering (like why do Klingons in the TOS not have forehead ridges) or tied multiple events or episodes from Star Trek together in a nice little bow (like Data's Creator's Ancestor having a connection to the Eugenics Research that created Khan). The only reason I bring that up is because without one of those hacky story-lines from Star Trek: Enterprise having existed, this show wouldn't exist at all...

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!